PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OFFICIAL: Patriots at Jets Post-Game thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone in the game thread had mentioned going for 2 just to get the hell out of NY win or lose. Think how controverial that call would of been?

Look, the fact that we have injuries means that back-ups (that are back-ups for a reason) step in and try to fill the starters shoes.

You need time, practice to build a championship team, which starters build throughout the year. Don't blame the GM, coaches or strategies. You need depth and we have that to some extent, but these players add depth. They are not equals.

This is not at all complicated....the Jets came in and beat a wounded team in their own house....and they needed overtime to do it. Give them credit, they beat us but does anyone here for one second think once we get our guys back, in our house, NE would lose again to this team? Not a chance

Our starters need rest and to get healthy...that's it. That is the magic formula. There is no Minitron tree planted out back in Foxboro where we can just go pick another one and put in the lineup.

Rest...and health. No need for over-analysis ...

Why? That’s two times in a row that the Pats defense gave up a touchdown on the opposing team’s first possession in overtime. That sucks. The Jets have an excellent defense and a average offense. It was not too much to ask the Pats defense to hold the Jets offense to 20 points. With all the injuries on offense, this was a game that the defense needed to win. They just couldn’t do it.

Would have stopped them if the refs called OPI consistently.

Interesting that CBS didn't show the pick play that sprung Enunwa in OT.

Bill Simmons ‏@BillSimmons 2h2 hours ago
It almost looked like the Pats were trying to help the Jets get into the playoffs or something.
Bill Simmons ‏@BillSimmons 2h2 hours ago
Can't be ruled out! RT @rich_levine: No mystery here. Belichick got word that Steelers loss was official and initiated Operation Tank.

Dont think BB did this and jets totally deserved to win but I felt all along BB felt this as a throwaway type of game. Just play only those who can play and get out of there. Regarding the coin toss, the offense had scored 1 TD all day and needed 2 4th downs to get them.So it wasnt a bad idea. Giving up a TD in 4 plays was bad.

It would have been very interesting if we had scored the TD with only a handful seconds left on the clock. Because then going for 2 pt would have been a viable decision. You don't go for 2, if the opponent has 1:55 and 3 TOs to go down the field using 4 downs for a FG.

I think we would have gone for two right there and then had another discussion about coaching if that had failed.

I think he thought the D was playing better than the offense and they would stop the Jets and then a FG wins. Idk, either.

I think he 1) wanted to know what we'd need to tie or win, in terms of a FG/not, and 2) he was concerned with the prospect of the offense going 3 and out, thus setting up a game winning FG position for the Jets.

but does anyone here for one second think once we get our guys back, in our house, NE would lose again to this team? Not a chance

Oh there are several people on here who think if the Pats had Edelman, Amendola, McCourty, Chung, Vollmer, Kline and (a full go) Steven Jackson that the jests would have still won.

Remember it took the Pats deferring the OT kick and then a blatant OPI for them to beat a hobbled Pats team.

Remember it took the Pats deferring the OT kick and then a blatant OPI for them to beat a hobbled Pats team.

Stuff like this could happen in the playoffs too. Can't just write it off as a fluke or "shouldn't have happened" thing.

Not gonna kill bb over the decision to kick. We have won before choosing to kick (Denver '13) and lost while choosing to receive (Denver this year). With the new ot rules, kicking or receiving is not a surefire choice and both have its pros and cons. The execution is what matters and it was poor in both losses.

Given our offensive struggles today, and how well the d was playing in the 4th quarter, I'm not going to kill him for hoping the d can make a stop and then only need a fg to win, or play the field position game.

This is not at all complicated....the Jets came in and beat a wounded team in their own house....and they needed overtime to do it. Give them credit, they beat us but does anyone here for one second think once we get our guys back, in our house, NE would lose again to this team? Not a chance

With those guys back, we're the best team in the league, without question. We'd beat anybody regardless of where the game is being played.

Yes. Of course, if the Patriots lose next week and the Bengals win tomorrow and next week, then the Bengals would have HFA by virtue of having a better record than the Patriots.

The same can be said of the Broncos, who would hold the head to head tiebreaker over the Pats, thus giving them the #1 seed under your proposed scenario.

A Pats loss next week and 2 wins by either the Bengals or the Broncos gives them the #1 seed.

Not sure why the decision to kick off in OT baffles so many people. A few weeks ago in Denver the Pats got the ball first in OT, lost yardage, punted and the Broncos got the ball back only needing 25 or so yards for the winning FG. With the way the OL was playing it was a very reasonable decision to kick off, hope for a stop and only needing a FG to win it when the Pats got it back. Can understand disagreeing but acting like it was an outrageous decision shows a serious lack of football knowledge.

The same can be said of the Broncos, who would hold the head to head tiebreaker over the Pats, thus giving them the #1 seed under your proposed scenario.

A Pats loss next week and 2 wins by either the Bengals or the Broncos gives them the #1 seed.
unless broncos lose tomorrow then only yhe bengals game will matter

I know we Pats fans are a spoiled bunch, but it really irks me every time Belichick makes a boneheaded decision and instead of saying: "Yeah, that's my fault. I take the blame on that" he goes ahead and says "We did whats best for the team".....

......How is taking the ball out the hands of the greatest QB "best for the team"? That makes zero sense. The point is to win the game, not give your tired defense more playing time.

Not sure why the decision to kick off in OT baffles so many people.

serious lack of football knowledge.

The answer to the question was in the question itself

......How is taking the ball out the hands of the greatest QB "best for the team"? That makes zero sense. The point is to win the game, not give your tired defense more playing time.

So when they did the same thing and won a couple years ago it was not the best thing for the team? Or is it the best thing for the team when it works? Or is it not the best thing for the team because its only working at 50%

Can we get some data please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Back