PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official 2022 Tompa Bay Gronkaneers Thread

I'm not a Mahomes hater. I'm a Aaron Rodgers hater sure, but Mahomes is clutch and most likely will be in his 5th straight AFCCG 5 years starting that's impressive.

I'm not a Mahomes hater. I'm a Aaron Rodgers hater sure, but Mahomes is clutch and most likely will be in his 5th straight AFCCG 5 years starting that's impressive.

Mahomes losing another Super Bowl this season would irreparably damage his career legacy. Just imagine, for a moment, if it was to the Bucs AGAIN. Uggh I’d probably reach some higher level of enlightenment and depart this lesser mortal coil.

Mahomes losing another Super Bowl this season would irreparably damage his career legacy. Just imagine, for a moment, if it was to the Bucs AGAIN. Uggh I’d probably reach some higher level of enlightenment and depart this lesser mortal coil.
If he makes another Superbowl I think it enhances it further even if he loses. That would be 3 Superbowl trips in 4 years and he still would have another 10 plus years to keep adding to it.

Bowles is a useless pile of sh*t but Brady reportedly talked his way into starting that game. The team sucks without Brady so it's no surprise that when Brady & co. exited the game they got outscored 0-20 in the second half. Shutout by a lousy defense. Just pathetic.
Bowles defense is also overrated.

There was about a 10 game stretch where Brady didn't fumble or have an interception. It was a huge opportunity to gain the turnover advantage but Bucs D could not create any turnover themselves.

The other thing I noticed is that when the Bucs D have to protect a short field, they almost always will give up a field goal or touchdown. They're great when the opponent has to go the length of the field though.

Mahomes was really awful in the second half of last season's AFCCG. It was a really bad look. He started that game with 3 straight scoring drives of 70+ yards, all ending with TD passes. That was all 3 possessions of the first half. Second half they went: punt, punt, INT, punt, punt, FG, INT. He completely lost his game.

Bowles defense is also overrated.

There was about a 10 game stretch where Brady didn't fumble or have an interception. It was a huge opportunity to gain the turnover advantage but Bucs D could not create any turnover themselves.

The other thing I noticed is that when the Bucs D have to protect a short field, they almost always will give up a field goal or touchdown. They're great when the opponent has to go the length of the field though.
This season the Bucs defense has been just ok. Their red zone defense sucks... ranks 26th. It's hard to win consistently when your defense is mediocre, your running game is the worst in the league, and your head coach is a total moron.

If he makes another Superbowl I think it enhances it further even if he loses. That would be 3 Superbowl trips in 4 years and he still would have another 10 plus years to keep adding to it.

Yeah I won’t downgrade him for losing a SB….especially if he can come out of this loaded AFC.

Unless he pulls something like last years AFCCG. That was like watching someone drunk and playing Tecmo Bowl.

Yeah I won’t downgrade him for losing a SB….especially if he can come out of this loaded AFC.

Unless he pulls something like last years AFCCG. That was like watching someone drunk and playing Tecmo Bowl.
Yeah that's the only thing that would make me pause on him becoming a Mt Rushmore QB. But as I said he has a lot of time to add to his legacy. This isn't a Rodgers situation

Mahomes is fantastic and also has a great situation with Reid/Kelce, etc. He's well on his way to ~top 4-10 QBs of all time with a chance to kick out one of Manning/Montana from top 3. Doubt he really has a chance to threaten Tom as the GOAT but if he continues his statistical production + highlight reel + wins at least 4-5 SBs there will definitely be a big camp that argues in his favor (becomes a Lebron vs. MJ situation where most favor MJ but maybe 35% would pick Lebron). But he's also only 5 years in - a lot can happen. Let's see.

As for Tom, I'd think he only goes to SF or stays in Tampa or retires. If Tampa boots Leftwich for BOB and does some salary cap magic the Bucs are still going to dominate the NFC South and be a top NFC contender. SF is ideal but whether that opening is there depends on how Purdy does in the next few weeks...

Mahomes is fantastic and also has a great situation with Reid/Kelce, etc. He's well on his way to ~top 4-10 QBs of all time with a chance to kick out one of Manning/Montana from top 3. Doubt he really has a chance to threaten Tom as the GOAT but if he continues his statistical production + highlight reel + wins at least 4-5 SBs there will definitely be a big camp that argues in his favor (becomes a Lebron vs. MJ situation where most favor MJ but maybe 35% would pick Lebron). But he's also only 5 years in - a lot can happen. Let's see.

As for Tom, I'd think he only goes to SF or stays in Tampa or retires. If Tampa boots Leftwich for BOB and does some salary cap magic the Bucs are still going to dominate the NFC South and be a top NFC contender. SF is ideal but whether that opening is there depends on how Purdy does in the next few weeks...

They open 70 million by reconstructing Godwin, Evans, Barrett, Davis, Smith, Vea, Jensen, and Gage. But they are 43 million over so they’d have 23 left and have to resign brady and Dean

Mahomes is gunslinger like Favre. I admire his talent. I just don't want him to beat Brady's records. I prefer Mahomes over Rodgers as he is overrated as he can't carry his team when they are behind.

It's hard to win 3 or 4 games in a row in the playoffs as a gunslinger without messing up for a half or more, but I think
Mahomes will have some playoff success in line with Roethlisberger and Manning.

They open 70 million by reconstructing Godwin, Evans, Barrett, Davis, Smith, Vea, Jensen, and Gage. But they are 43 million over so they’d have 23 left and have to resign brady and Dean
Brady has a dead cap hit of about 30-35 million if he retires or moves on. If Brady comes back for 25mil, they can kick that dead cap down the road, and the Bucs could actually be in a better cap position for 2023.

Mahomes is gunslinger like Favre. I admire his talent. I just don't want him to beat Brady's records. I prefer Mahomes over Rodgers as he is overrated as he can't carry his team when they are behind.

It's hard to win 3 or 4 games in a row in the playoffs as a gunslinger without messing up for a half or more, but I think
Mahomes will have some playoff success in line with Roethlisberger and Manning.

I don't know if I agree he's a gunslinger...his INT rate is low, and at most, he makes as many mistakes as an avg QB despite all the TD passes. I think the comparison has more to do with the hero complex they both develop in the biggest games. The biggest choke jobs I've ever seen are Favre's 2009 INT against New Orleans (cross field throw going the other direction to blow up the Vikings season and prevent them from making SB) and Mahomes last year (3-4 consecutive plays in the closing moments/OT where he decided, for whatever reason, that scoring a TD was too easy and wanted more style points.) Both are capable of better...this isn't Dan Orlovsky stepping out of the endzone for a safety or some bum throwing away a season because he's overmatched. Just two guys who have huge egos and are trying to enhance their legacies to greater heights at the expense of the team.

I wouldn't go that far. It will take a lot to surpass Montana and virtually impossible at this stage to pass Brady.

Including the year he redshirt, Mahomes has played 6 years and likely around 1/3 the way through his career.

I give him 1 or more 2 SBs. The AFC is going to be a tough division for years to come. Burrows and Allen will cook block Mahomes from winning SBs just as Brady did to Manning and Roethlisberger.

Last edited:
Brady has a dead cap hit of about 30-35 million if he retires or moves on. If Brady comes back for 25mil, they can kick that dead cap down the road, and the Bucs could actually be in a better cap position for 2023.

Jesus, that team is 8-9 and continues to go south. He should get the hell out of there as fast as he can; he knew this offseason that the outlook wasn't good which is why he was trying to leave. The Bucs went all in for 2021...they backloaded a bunch of deals to make sure they "kept the band together" and spent way too much to do so. Carlton Davis, Shaq Barret, Leonard Fournette, etc. weren't worth it....they loaded up on their expensive veterans. I think with better health last year, they would have repeated, and they were still close. But in 2022, this is a team with so many holes and problems. I'm still shocked they'd go all in for Brady but still kept all their draft picks, didn't trade in-season for talent, and spent a second round pick on Kyle Trask, but that's just me. I'm not a GM so I don't know the ins-and-outs, but from my perspective, if you have a 2-3 year window, why not just do what the Rams did and really go all-in, rather than that half-baked all-in?

Betting odds have Brady with a 25% of going to NE and 25% going to SF next season. 15% chance he stays with Bucs and 10% chance he retires. Raiders and Dolphins also outside possibilities, but Tampa was also an outside possibility in 2020.

I wouldn't go that far. It will take a lot to surpass Montana and virtually impossible at this stage to pass Brady.

Including the year he redshirt, Mahomes has played 6 years and likely around 1/3 the way through his career.

I give him 1 or more 2 SBs. The AFC is going to be a tough division for years to come. Burrows and Allen will cook block Mahomes from winning SBs just as Brady did to Mahomes and Roethlisberger.
Yeah like I said - he has a chance, not that it’s likely (just to crack top 3, let alone even make a credible argument against Brady as the GOAT). The most likely outcome is that he stays mostly
healthy and puts up big stats, but wins 2 to maybe 3 rings. To me that puts him solidly in the 4-10 range with a decent argument against Peyton and a weak argument against Montana.

If Mahomes post season play matches his regular season play over his career he could be the GOAT. It didn't work out that way for Manning or Rogers or anyone else for that matter compared to Brady. I'll tip my hat to anyone that does. Its one thing to come through in the regular season when everything is on the line in games. It's quite another thing to do it in the the playoffs.

He's so good that Brady still owns him come playoff time.

Can we please stop falling for the Manning/Brees/Rodgers trap?

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back