PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official 2022 Tompa Bay Gronkaneers Thread

I had this crazy thought that the Bucs have been sandbagging their offense waiting to unleash it during the playoff run so teams didn't have a lot of film on them. Then I woke up.

Isn't the AFC South the worst division now?
They sure are, and the lottery winners who got matched up against them (nfce/afcw) have the records to show for it. The afcs is 5-15 vs the nfc.

Last edited:
That's where I am on the play action. Just do it, whether the runs work or not.
I had this crazy thought that the Bucs have been sandbagging their offense waiting to unleash it during the playoff run so teams didn't have a lot of film on them. Then I woke up.
The problem with the whole play action thing is I think the Bucs hardly ever did it. Which is probably why it is so effective. The whole idea behind play action is to trick the defense into thinking its a run play, and then do a pass. It should be obvious why the less you do play action the more effective it will be.

Of course this would be an awesome trick. Spend the whole season non-play actioning, and then in the playoffs unleash it.

I mean yeah what's your point?
Gotta admit though the Pats had an easy division for years also. The Bucs are in the playoffs now and anything can happen. They seemed to find their ryhthym again just in time. Some teams play better under pressure.

Brady making playoffs for 14 straight seasons (19 total) is among some of the accomplishments on Sunday.

Am I crazy to think Bucs have a decent chance to make it to the SB? Is it just me having been conditioned to always believe in Brady, no matter what, that's been ingrained in me over 20 years?
It's not crazy at all because the NFC is really weak. I hate Rodgers but I'm rooting hard for the Packers to get in because they could really f*ck things up for a couple of teams.

Here's one path to the Super Bowl for the Bucs:

Wild Card - Bucs beat the Cowboys, Packers beat the 49ers & Vikings beat the Giants
Divisional - Bucs beat the Vikings & Packers beat the Eagles
NFCCG - Bucs beat the Packers

Tell me that's not happening. SB #11 upcoming for TB12 (all along the 12 has stood for the number of SB's played... the 12th coming next season with the 49ers).

Makes perfect sense.

It's not crazy at all because the NFC is really weak. I hate Rodgers but I'm rooting hard for the Packers to get in because they could really f*ck things up for a couple of teams.

Here's one path to the Super Bowl for the Bucs:

Wild Card - Bucs beat the Cowboys, Packers beat the 49ers & Vikings beat the Giants
Divisional - Bucs beat the Vikings & Packers beat the Eagles
NFCCG
- Bucs beat the Packers

Tell me that's not happening. SB #11 upcoming for TB12 (all along the 12 has stood for the number of SB's played... the 12th coming next season with the 49ers).
Rodgers beating 49ers and Eagles... in the playoffs.:oops:

Am I crazy to think Bucs have a decent chance to make it to the SB? Is it just me having been conditioned to always believe in Brady, no matter what, that's been ingrained in me over 20 years?
I think they have a better than decent shot to win the whole freaking thing. Nobody wants to play Brady in the playoffs.

Makes perfect sense.

Surprisingly Bowles has already indicated all healthy enough players will start the game and they'll play to win it. Some players, like Godwin, are within reach of statistical markers. Brady's 390 passing yards from 5000 (imagine that after all the sh*t he's taken this season). He'd probably need at least 250 in the first half for it to be realistically reachable because that kind of yardage usually means a lot of points and Bowles will probably want to sit players if there's a comfortable lead. Atlanta's defense is pretty bad and Brady is 10-0 with 23 TDs, 3 INTs and a 114.1 passer rating against them.

Here's what Brady has done to Atlanta since becoming a Buc:
399-4-1
390-2-0
368-4-1
276-5-0
351-1-0

So don't laugh at the 5000, even if he only plays 3 quarters.

I expected them to play. I don't remember of any team that rested the last week of season that then went on to do anything meaningful in the post season.

Surprisingly Bowles has already indicated all healthy enough players will start the game and they'll play to win it. Some players, like Godwin, are within reach of statistical markers. Brady's 390 passing yards from 5000 (imagine that after all the sh*t he's taken this season). He'd probably need at least 250 in the first half for it to be realistically reachable because that kind of yardage usually means a lot of points and Bowles will probably want to sit players if there's a comfortable lead. Atlanta's defense is pretty bad and Brady is 10-0 with 23 TDs, 3 INTs and a 114.1 passer rating against them.

Here's what Brady has done to Atlanta since becoming a Buc:
399-4-1
390-2-0
368-4-1
276-5-0
351-1-0

So don't laugh at the 5000, even if he only plays 3 quarters.
Godwin and Evans would have to go gangbusters again for Brady to even sniff anything close to 390 yards.

However, the way the Bucs have played all year, the game will probably stay close into the 4th quarter. They'll likely have to play most of their starters for most of the game if they are going for the win.

Other than their QB, I wonder if the Falcons will be playing their rookies and backups to see what they have or will they be playing most of their starters to try and win.

I'm a bit confused with your relentless rants about running the ball more. You do realize that the Bucs are at the top of the league in passing the ball, correct? Brady is attempting a record 44.8 attempts per game. Do you want him to attempt 50, 55 passes every game? Is that what you want to see? Or is it more like 60 to 65?

It's more about game state. When you are in a neutral game state (early in game or close score) and neutral down & distance (e.g., 1st and 10) - should be passing the ball more. Then run the ball more when you are up or if you got 6-8 yards on first down pass. So you can run the ball more overall while still allowing the passing game to take advantage of more favorable conditions to pass, e.g. 1st down and when the score is closer.

Later in the game if you are down on the scoreboard, everyone knows you are going to pass = less favorable. Or if it's 2nd and long, everyone knows you are going to pass = unfavorable. The Bucs have been passing mostly in unfavorable conditions all year.

The problem with the whole play action thing is I think the Bucs hardly ever did it. Which is probably why it is so effective. The whole idea behind play action is to trick the defense into thinking its a run play, and then do a pass. It should be obvious why the less you do play action the more effective it will be.

Of course this would be an awesome trick. Spend the whole season non-play actioning, and then in the playoffs unleash it.
You don’t really have to trick the defense into thinking it’s a run, you just need to hold defense for a split second while they wait to see if it’s run or pass. That is, you don’t need the LBs and Safeties to crash the line thinking it’s a run, you just need them to hesitate and give the receivers and TEs a chance to get into their patterns before the coverage gets there.

Brady making playoffs for 14 straight seasons (19 total) is among some of the accomplishments on Sunday.

He has made the post-season 20 straight times. From 2003 until now.

Last edited:

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back