PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official 2013 Patriots Training Camp Thread

Alfonzo Dennard not with the Patriots' 1 in the base D. Comes on in nickel, plays in the base with second team for 7-on-7s.​

I know it is way too early to read anything into this, but that would mean that Dowling is out with Talib on the outside as the starting corners, and Arrington is the backup/4th CB.

I'd be ok with that, if that's how it shakes down. I think Dowling is built to be an outside corner, so assuming health (and competence), it would be nice to have him entrenched as the starter there in case the worst happens with the Dennard situation.

The other question would be, is Alfonzo as effective against slot receivers? I'm guessing he can do it, but it would be something to watch.

Sounds like in base defense, it's Talib and Arrrington on the outside, with Arrington moving inside and Dennard coming on for sub. I think it was pretty clear last year that Dennard is the superior outside CB, so perhaps this is a way they will prepare for a possible suspension.

With that said, ideally, I would love for Dowling to finally stay healthy and show something, with he and Talib forming our outside CB tandem, with Arrington coming on for slot duty. Yes, that would make Dennard and Ryan Cornerbacks #4 and 5, but having two 6 footers at Cornerback can't be understated.

I'll be on the lookout for anything relating to defensive formations. Are they still running 4-3 in practice, or is it looking more like a 3-4.

Sounds like in base defense, it's Talib and Arrrington on the outside, with Arrington moving inside and Dennard coming on for sub. I think it was pretty clear last year that Dennard is the superior outside CB, so perhaps this is a way they will prepare for a possible suspension.

With that said, ideally, I would love for Dowling to finally stay healthy and show something, with he and Talib forming our outside CB tandem, with Arrington coming on for slot duty. Yes, that would make Dennard and Ryan Cornerbacks #4 and 5, but having two 6 footers at Cornerback can't be understated.

I'll be on the lookout for anything relating to defensive formations. Are they still running 4-3 in practice, or is it looking more like a 3-4.

Whatever length of time Dennard is suspended (should it happen) will seem really long with Arrington playing outside within the first couple of weeks of the season. I wonder why the Glass Man isn't playing outside instead of Arrington?

You guys there? Have we seen anything saying which CBs are playing with the 1s right now besides Breer's tweet saying that Dennard is with the 2s?

Interesting comments about Tebow, but I guess we all knew he wasn't brought in JUST to be a 3rd string QB. Though he does have more experience playing QB in the NFL than Mallett.

These tweets from Breer caught my eye...

Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer 5m
Tebow just a caught a ball from Mallett in a weird new drill I've never seen before. #AlertTheRubberneckers

Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer 2m
Tebow's still catching passes ... Lining up with back and receivers in a (non-contact) tackling drill.

This shouldn't be a surprise to most - except for all those who seemed convinced that Belichick and Tebow were serious when they previously said that Tebow was coming here to play QB and only QB. These folks apparently think that Belichck is honest and open with the media.

Belichick knows first hand that when Tebow is on the field, he does need to be accounted for by a defense.

He's still got to play his way onto the team, but I'll be interested to see how he fares in preseason as a receiver or in any other role (aside from QB)

Tebow already threw 2 INT's in 11 on 11 drills. Looks like he still hasn't mastered the Patriots defense. :eek:

What are some of the good Twitter accounts for on-site updates?

Tebow already threw 2 INT's in 11 on 11 drills. Looks like he still hasn't mastered the Patriots defense. :eek:

He better get used to catching passes. Sounds like one of the pics was to Chandler Jones.

If he makes the team there's a long list of Patsfans here who are going to have to eat some crow and admit that Belichick is a better GM than they are.

I won't be one of them....Unless he learns how to play multiple roles, as in the long snapper job, backup tight end/H-Back, special teams, he won't make this roster. If he learns these roles, he might but that still will be a long-shot.

He better get used to catching passes. Sounds like one of the pics was to Chandler Jones.

Well... he beat the Steelers.

Mike Reiss saying Collins is playing with first team defense:

MikeReiss Mike Reiss
Top draft choice Jamie Collins gets some work with top defenders in 11 on 11. Looks to be integrating into mix quickly.

Yes, it's early, but I'm just excited football is finally here. Very much looking forward to seeing what Collins can (and will be asked) to do.

I won't be one of them....Unless he learns how to play multiple roles, as in the long snapper job, backup tight end/H-Back, special teams, he won't make this roster. If he learns these roles, he might but that still will be a long-shot.

I completely disagree. McDaniels took this guy in the fist round a few years ago and now TT makes the league minimum. Not to mention Mallet is gone after next year. I think there's a 75% chance he makes the squad.

Yes, it's early, but I'm just excited football is finally here. Very much looking forward to seeing what Collins can (and will be asked) to do.

Any indication if he was lining up as a LB or a DE?

I completely disagree. McDaniels took this guy in the fist round a few years ago and now TT makes the league minimum. Not to mention Mallet is gone after next year. I think there's a 75% chance he makes the squad.

Thats' nice. In the meantime - 89 other guys are on the football field competing for 53 roster slots.

I cannot wait to see how this kid works out. It will be pretty funny when one of the lead stories of this pre-season camp is how the rookies (Dobson, Collins, Boyce) are faring against their competition.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back