PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Offensive Scheme vs the Fish

Status
Not open for further replies.

SalemPats

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
The Fish always play us hard. This year they are 3rd against the pass (Also Grimes is a real shutdown corner) and 22nd against the rush. They can rush the passer for sure.

We will see a heavy dose of Blount/Gray(?) and Vereen getting 5-10 carries. I think this game is a good opportunity to move Vereen around. I would like to see him move around from the backfield and line up on the outside and force a safety to play him, when that happens we can move Lafell to the inside and move Gronk to the outside and force Grimes to play the middle of the field. This is a good game to try and different things against a solid defense.

They're having a good season defensively against the pass, but they are 22nd against the run. Opponents are running on them. The Dolphins have given up more than 600 yards rushing the last three weeks. The Dolphins are giving up 4.4 yards per rushing attempt. Only three NFL teams give up more yards per attempt. Look for a big day from the Patriots running backs and lots of play action.

Grimes is good but he is not a "shutdown corner." He's 5'9" and athletic, but he's working alone out there. The Dolphins have 4 DBs on IR and CBs Jamar Taylor and Courtland Finnegan haven't played for three weeks. The Dolphins secondary is a mess. Their linebacking situation is worse. The Dolphins do a good job rushing the quarterback. They've recorded 34 sacks compared to 32 for the Patriots.

In the passing game, look for lots of play action and Gronk and Wright in the seams against an overmatched linebacking corps. Much has been made of the Patriots not having any success downfield. That may not change against the Dolphins because Brady will want to get the ball out fast this weekend.

Blount and Gray all day long. That's how you slow down that pass rush. Run the PA off of that and they are golden if all goes well

That jets game really skewed the running #s...but they are still bad vs the run

Pfft, that would be way too obvious. If I'm "JOSH MACDONALD" I'm coming out in an empty set featuring hooman and amendola while Wright stays in the sideline. Then I'm going to show the world how ****ing smart I am by having Brady sling the rock all over Miami like he just cooked up a fresh batch of some Columbian.

At a minimum, after running it down their throats, on first and goal I'm pulling the hot hand hand and going single back shotgun with Vereen. Draw to Vereen for a couple inches. Incomplete play action to hoomauseless. Pray Gronk can prove the genius on third down, possibly trick Miami by trotting Wright out there.

Maybe this would be too obvious after doing this against Minnesota and green bay. Philbin is a turd though, he will never see it coming.

The last two games the o line has played poorly the common denominator is that they were on the road. i can't understand why that would affect they're play except for communication problems. so i hope this week they can get it together against the fish, they have some pretty good defensive ends who could make life miserable for solder and volmer

Dolphins yielding something like 5.8 ypc over the last few games, so the running game looms large with play action in the seams to attack the back up linebackers and safeties (as well as slow down the front four) to boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News