PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Notable Titans game stats

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this is fairly significant. We've only allowed under 300 total yards 4 times in our last 36 games. Now we need to string a few together.

But, from a cautionary position there were many games we would have been under 300 if not for garbage time, and we didn't have any garbage time drives today, partly because we stopped one and partly because the offense ate the clock.
The D that held Miami to 200 yards in 3 quarters until the game was out of reach last year did as much to contribute to the win as todays, it just looks different in an aggregate stat.

The clear place to start:

Chris Johnson: 11 carries, 4 yards
Stevan Ridley: 21 carries, 125 yards

Ridley's total is especially impressive to me because his longest run was just 17 yards. He simply punished the Titans all day long. (Compare to Murray's ballyhooed performance on Thursday, where he put up nearly identical numbers on the back of one 48-yard run.)

What else leaps out at you?

Patchick nice thread, and just to echo my thread I mentioned play of our Offensive Line. All negativity and nah sayers questioning keeping Brady alive etc I give'm BIG PROPS for their performance today and what you just wrote opening up holes run blockin for Ridley to excel.

Last edited:
But, from a cautionary position there were many games we would have been under 300 if not for garbage time, and we didn't have any garbage time drives today, partly because we stopped one and partly because the offense ate the clock.
The D that held Miami to 200 yards in 3 quarters until the game was out of reach last year did as much to contribute to the win as todays, it just looks different in an aggregate stat.

True, but unfortunately the more common occurrence was that we had already allowed 300 and the garbage time yards put them over 400. :(

and, yes, not allowing the g-time yards is a big step.

Last edited:
True, but unfortunately the more common occurrence was that we had already allowed 300 and the garbage time yards put them over 400. :(

and, yes, not allowing the g-time yards is a big step.

Well, last year, but not before.

I've never cared about the garbage time yards. Who cares. I agree with playing prevent when there is no time for the other team to get back in the game without quick strikes, and really could care less about any stat other than w/l, with the exception of liking the players such as Brady to get the credit that stats give them publicly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Right.

But a godo take-a-way si that the offense no longer has to run through Welker. I certainly don't mind if it does, but the team will be that much more danagerous and unpredictable. And best yet, it's sustainable...barring injuries of course.
My thoughts exactly. Great to see two guys who weren't major parts of last season's offense combine for ~200 yds. It appears that the Pats have major weapons in Ridley, A.Hern, Gronk, WW, and Lloyd.

Last I looked, when you dive and stick your arm out, you are making an attempt on the ball.. Not to mention that even Phil Simms, upon review, said it wasn't PI because McCourty didn't touch the receiver until the ball was there and hitting McCourty. Saying McCourty when he had 2-3 of the PDs is just illogical.
The ball hit McCourty in the back of the leg. Watch the video again.

35 rushes
31 passes.

Something i've maintained for a few years (despite the gaudy passing numbers by Brady) are the benefits for committing to(and executing) the run.

1. We get back one of the best PA passers in the game, the deep bomb to Lloyd (that Lloyd misjudged) was a great example of that. How great is it to see a CB and a FS bite on a playaction?

2. Helps balance the time of possession - giving the defense regular lengthy breathers - especially for the big guys Vince and Kyle

3. Gives the offensive line some attitude - when we are committed to running the ball the linemen are going out and hitting defenders rather than constantly backpedalling and limiting damage.

Great playcalling by McD - great execution by the offense and Brady.
yep, I don't think we're going to look back very fondly at BOB after this season.

Youre clueless at what PI actually is. When the real Refs return you might figure it out.
Earth to Triumph - Face guarding is legal

While it is the preferred technique to have the defender to turn back to the ball, there is nothing wrong with keeping your back turned to the play as long as you don't make contact and interfere with the receiver. Simms was wrong to imply that it does.

The first play should have been called as the McCourty made contact before the ball got there. The fact it hit him in the leg is irrelevant. The 2nd play mentioned was called correctly, as Simms mentioned, as no contact was made.

For such a makeshift OL, and one that has been maligned in this forum, the results were pretty impressive, considering this is the first game they've been together. Zero false starts, zero holding, and just one sack allowed.

Props to Wendell for a great game at center. He didn't mess up one single snap or make a bad call.

Nitpicking: he did have one horrible snap, on the Hernandez run, but Hernandez reached back and made a tremendous play to catch it before running off the left side. But yeah, great job by the OL, really. Some pressure on Brady here and there, one sack, but very good run blocking and no penalties. Nicely done. They'll improve too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Back