PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL's mouthpiece (ESPN) at it again with OTL piece on cameragate

Status
Not open for further replies.
It could happen in theory. There's a provision in the Constitution and Bylaws that a vote of 24 (or 23 -- can't remember) of the other 31 owners can force a sale.

Now I agree with you that in actuality it would never happen unless Kraft did something really wild.
And with a $2 billion asset, there is no way that provision would hold up in court.

And with a $2 billion asset, there is no way that provision would hold up in court.

I won't be so sure. It's not like the league would be seizing the value of the team away from Kraft. And it's not like contractual forced sale provisions are some NFL-only thing. They are far from unheard-of in business.

But yes, the court battles would likely be stupendous and protracted.

It could happen in theory. There's a provision in the Constitution and Bylaws that a vote of 24 (or 23 -- can't remember) of the other 31 owners can force a sale.

Now I agree with you that in actuality it would never happen unless Kraft did something really wild.

This actually came up in the Ray Rice aftermath. There were rumors that the owners wanted Bisciotti out and I saw a press conference where he was asked about the rumors. Bisciotti looked a tiny bit miffed, but then shrugged it off, saying something to the effect of:

If they want me to sell, I'll sell. I've got better things to do with my time.

I won't be so sure. It's not like the league would be seizing the value of the team away from Kraft. And it's not like contractual forced sale provisions are some NFL-only thing. They are far from unheard-of in business.

But yes, the court battles would likely be stupendous and protracted.
You are mixing 'take the team away' and 'forcing sale'.
They cannot take his team away from him, and that is regardless of whatever is in any agreement, it just is not lawful.
They cannot force him to sell, as he can simply refuse to sign, and no buyer would get clean ownership in a sale that the seller did not authorize.
There simply is no legal justification that you can force anyone to sell something against their will. What would they do to him if he said no?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3