PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL's "fake" season 2020

It's relevant to the discussion because you appear to believe a certain percentage/number of deaths is/are acceptable in lieu of limiting access to bars, movie theaters, sporting events and concerts.
It’s not relevant at all. It’s a hypothetical intended to be a red herring, but I gave you an answer out of courtesy regardless. What I believe the mortality rate should be in order to shut down the economy and drive millions of people further into debt has no bearing on, nor does it change, what the mortality rate actually is for Covid-19 - 0.007%.

NFL 2020: Still less "fake" than the circuses that the NHL & ESPECIALLY the Balls 'n Sticks & NaziBawlAss provided.

Thanks. I’m glad she linked the actual study. I read over it last night and the rest this morning before work. Here’s a couple of key takeaways...

And then from the article you linked itself...

There seems to be, at least from reading this study, a lower confidence interval about the findings. In other words, I’m not sure how you can say with any level of certainty that opening commerce earlier will directly lead to an increased burden on the taxpayer to foot the bill of hospital costs for the uninsured or those who go out of network. Further, the state of California was one of the last states to resume commerce and is currently considering sheltering in place again. They’re in the top 5 in cases and deaths. How do you square that fact while also making the assumption that states who opened earlier than them put their citizens more in harm’s way?

In summary, I’m not sure how you could make this argument with any level of confidence to dispute my original claim. It seems pretty straightforward. If you’re ages 51-60 and/or have a comorbidity, be careful, wear a mask when in public, and shelter in place if necessary. And FYI, I’m not saying you’re wrong here. You may be right. Time will tell. What I’m saying is that this doesn’t disprove my argument in any way with what we know right now.

But not the number of deaths. New York, like the rest of the country, is seeing another surge. 3 of the top 5 states in cases and deaths were states who reopened the latest.

The big corporations? :)

I'm still waiting for a shred of evidence that any state is "doing better" because they reopened sooner......it is pretty certain that more people getting covid means more cost to the entire population....that's irrefutable.....everything else is subjective

Thanks. I’m glad she linked the actual study. I read over it last night and the rest this morning before work. Here’s a couple of key takeaways...

And then from the article you linked itself...

There seems to be, at least from reading this study, a lower confidence interval about the findings. In other words, I’m not sure how you can say with any level of certainty that opening commerce earlier will directly lead to an increased burden on the taxpayer to foot the bill of hospital costs for the uninsured or those who go out of network. Further, the state of California was one of the last states to resume commerce and is currently considering sheltering in place again. They’re in the top 5 in cases and deaths. How do you square that fact while also making the assumption that states who opened earlier than them put their citizens more in harm’s way?

In summary, I’m not sure how you could make this argument with any level of confidence to dispute my original claim. It seems pretty straightforward. If you’re ages 51-60 and/or have a comorbidity, be careful, wear a mask when in public, and shelter in place if necessary. And FYI, I’m not saying you’re wrong here. You may be right. Time will tell. What I’m saying is that this doesn’t disprove my argument in any way with what we know right now.

But not the number of deaths. New York, like the rest of the country, is seeing another surge. 3 of the top 5 states in cases and deaths were states who reopened the latest.

The big corporations? :)

the highest rates of getting covid (per million):
North Dakota 94,879
South Dakota 80,426
Iowa 61,913
Wisconsin 58,588
Utah 55,295
Nebraska 55,139
Idaho 52,938
Tennessee 48,835
Montana 48,188
Florida 46,693
Arkansas 45,728
Alabama 45,647

which is interesting because it includes some of the most sparsely populated states.......what do most of these states have in common?

I'm still waiting for a shred of evidence that any state is "doing better" because they reopened sooner......it is pretty certain that more people getting covid means more cost to the entire population....that's irrefutable.....everything else is subjective
That was never my contention, though. That’s a straw man. My contention was that these states bolstered the economy during times of uncertainty, and I’ve backed that up.

the highest rates of getting covid (per million):
North Dakota 94,879
South Dakota 80,426
Iowa 61,913
Wisconsin 58,588
Utah 55,295
Nebraska 55,139
Idaho 52,938
Tennessee 48,835
Montana 48,188
Florida 46,693
Arkansas 45,728
Alabama 45,647

which is interesting because it includes some of the most sparsely populated states.......what do most of these states have in common?

So, with Florida being one of the states opened the longest as well as my previous trip to Georgia a few months ago for a bachelor party, my take on the rise in cases is a simple one - idiots not wearing masks. I go, or try to go anyway, to the gym every morning. When the gyms first reopened, around 3/4s of the people in there wore masks. Now it’s only me and a few other people. I had to ask a guy to move a couple of stair masters down today because, out of the 7 that were open for use, he chose one right next to me. It’s individuals not taking it as seriously as they should and not these states allowing commerce. If the latter was true, Cali wouldn’t be in the top 5.

I saw the same thing in Atlanta and Lake Lanier. Nobody wore masks. As a matter of fact, when my buddy called to make dinner reservations up there, he asked if there was a mask requirement and the guy on the phone laughed at him and asked where he was from. It’s that attitude that’s causing this thing to roar back and America is certainly not the only country exempt from a surge right now. But really, if we’re being honest here, is this really a population (herd) that you care about getting thinned?

That was never my contention, though. That’s a straw man. My contention was that these states bolstered the economy during times of uncertainty, and I’ve backed that up.

So, with Florida being one of the states opened the longest as well as my previous trip to Georgia a few months ago for a bachelor party, my take on the rise in cases is a simple one - idiots not wearing masks. I go, or try to go anyway, to the gym every morning. When the gyms first reopened, around 3/4s of the people in there wore masks. Now it’s only me and a few other people. I had to ask a guy to move a couple of stair masters down today because, out of the 7 that were open for use, he chose one right next to me. It’s individuals not taking it as seriously as they should and not these states allowing commerce. If the latter was true, Cali wouldn’t be in the top 5.

I saw the same thing in Atlanta and Lake Lanier. Nobody wore masks. As a matter of fact, when my buddy called to make dinner reservations up there, he asked if there was a mask requirement and the guy on the phone laughed at him and asked where he was from. It’s that attitude that’s causing this thing to roar back and America is certainly not the only country exempt from a surge right now. But really, if we’re being honest here, is this really a population (herd) that you care about getting thinned?

Ok.....that is what/how you said it

This weekend, I'm zooming with 3 buddies......beer and bourbon night.....we're going to get smashed

For thanksgiving, we are part of an open house we are doing with a group......2 cameras each (one in kitchen/dining and one in living room).... going to be constant streaming as is everyone else.....

the economy would be fine as long as people can control themselves.......which many can't, which in turn is ultimately going to lead to shutdowns that could have been avoided

It's relevant to the discussion because you appear to believe a certain percentage/number of deaths is/are acceptable in lieu of limiting access to bars, movie theaters, sporting events and concerts.
Just out of curiosity, what's your number? Please note that I am not referring to percentages, just a straight up number of people who you believe have to die in order for you to want to shut down society, and impose on the country all the brutal consequences of a shutdown.

Just out of curiosity, what's your number? Please note that I am not referring to percentages, just a straight up number of people who you believe have to die in order for you to want to shut down society, and impose on the country all the brutal consequences of a shutdown.

don't answer a question with a question......stop being coward and answer the damned question......how many deaths are acceptable to you.........and stop with the hyperbole 'shut down society' and 'all the brutal consequences of a shutdown'

how many dead will it take for you to change your mind? spit it out

Welp, there goes the neighborhood. You could almost sense the hyenas sniffing around this one. Appreciate the rational and courteous Covid debate, fellas. I’m going to bow out before the thread gets locked and leave you guys to it.

Welp, there goes the neighborhood. You could almost sense the hyenas sniffing around this one. Appreciate the rational and courteous Covid debate, fellas. I’m going to bow out before the thread gets locked and leave you guys to it.

Probably a good idea since this thread was Patriots-oriented to begin with. I'd like to see it remain open.

there is no reason to interact with Infernal Claptrap, Kontra....he's better looking, owns more cars ,has more houses,speaks five languages and lives in a condo...in other words, he's a narcissistic loner only interested in being the authority on all things to prop up his pathetic existence.

Read an article that states we're at 300,000 more deaths than the last two years. We haven't finished out the year yet.

I've never been a shut down the economy kind of guy but wonder if we had just did a hard two week shut down somewhere down the line if we could have mitigated many of those deaths and bought ourselves some time to wait for the vaccine.

there is no reason to interact with Infernal Claptrap, Kontra....he's better looking, owns more cars ,has more houses,speaks five languages and lives in a condo...in other words, he's a narcissistic loner only interested in being the authority on all things to prop up his pathetic existence.
Eh I actually enjoyed the back and forth with him and Tunes. The three of us were respectful and presented our arguments in such a way that hopefully other readers found informative. With XLIX jumping in, I’m just reading the terrain and backing off. It’s only a matter of time before it goes sideways and I don’t care to take part in that. “If you build it, they will come.”

Read an article that states we're at 300,000 more deaths than the last two years. We haven't finished out the year yet.

I've never been a shut down the economy kind of guy but wonder if we had just did a hard two week shut down somewhere down the line if we could have mitigated many of those deaths and bought ourselves some time to wait for the vaccine.
I think a hard, 2 week shutdown would have been/would be a great idea. Unfortunately such a thing is not even remotely possible in this country.
This article is 100% intellectually and logically bankrupt and here's why: It compares deaths this year to a "normal year." The problem is that annual deaths is a number which regularly increases, and quite significantly over the long term. There is no such thing as a "normal year" for a statistic exhibiting a long term, constant upward trend.

What you should do is look at the data, look at the upward trend, adjust for the expected increase in 2020 and then compare that number to the true amount of 2020 deaths. Instead, what they do, is they take a 5 year average from 2015 to 2019 and compare that number to the true amount for 2020 deaths.

Do it their way and you get 300,000 "excess deaths"
Do it my way and you get ~250,00 "excess deaths" - a number which happens to be amazingly close to the current official tally of Covid deaths in the U.S.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back