PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFLPA says Tom Brady appeal continues, despite Kraft’s decision

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soul_Survivor88

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Doesn't sound like a deal was made.... Plus there's this that just came out a minute ago

Patriots News ‏@BDCPatriots 1m1 minute ago
.@NFLPA formally requests Roger Goodell recuse himself as arbitrator in Tom Brady appeal.

https://www.nflpa.com/news/all-news...ion-recuse-self-as-arbitrator-in-brady-appeal

NFLPA MOVES TO RECUSE ROGER GOODELL AS ARBITRATOR IN TOM BRADY APPEAL

The NFLPA has formally requested that Commissioner Roger Goodell recuse himself as the arbitrator in Tom Brady's disciplinary appeal. Given a process that has contained procedural violations of our collective bargaining agreement, the Commissioner's role as a central witness in the appeal hearing and his evident partiality with respect to the Wells report, the Commissioner must designate a neutral party to serve as an arbitrator in this matter. The players also believe that the Commissioner's history of inconsistently issuing discipline against our players makes him ill-suited to hear this appeal in a fair-minded manner.

If the NFL believes the Ted Wells report has credibility because it is independent, then the NFL should embrace our request for an independent review.

-- NFL Players Association

Last edited:
I expect Goodell to refuse to budge on the appeal, but on the plus side Brady probably has much more leverage and motivation to take legal action against the NFL than Kraft did, and far less downside risk. He is far more likely to fight this to the bitter end.

If I am Brady and the NFLPA, I am going to court now. I still think Kraft and Goodell have a deal about Brady and if Goodell overturns the suspension, he can do so without exonerating Brady and Brady will have nothing to fight in court other than a defamation suit.

I'd like to believe that this goes full bore resulting in Brady's name being cleared and after that happens the NFL is forced to reconsider the penalties on the Pats because no crime was committed.

Now that I think about it, perhaps a deal was made that Goodell would step down as arbitrator and assign someone neutral. That way the NFL can say no deal was made on Brady's suspension while also allowing a neutral arbitrator to decide on Brady's appeal. So Kraft gets what he wants (an eventual suspension lifting) and Goodell gets what he wants (not budging on the punishments and no court case which would be embarrassing to the NFL).

Now that I think about it, perhaps a deal was made that Goodell would step down as arbitrator and assign someone neutral. That way the NFL can say no deal was made on Brady's suspension while also allowing a neutral arbitrator to decide on Brady's appeal. So Kraft gets what he wants (an eventual suspension lifting) and Goodell gets what he wants (not budging on the punishments and no court case which would be embarrassing to the NFL).
There was no deal. Kraft got nothing. Kraft decided to support Goodell over Brady, McNally and Jastremski, as well as the rest of his organization.

Kraft sold out, the payoff isn't to the Patriots, the payoff was protecting Goodell.

There was no deal. Kraft got nothing. Kraft decided to support Goodell over Brady, McNally and Jastremski, as well as the rest of his organization.

Kraft sold out, the payoff isn't to the Patriots, the payoff was protecting Goodell.
Okay okay we know what Kraft did

The gloves are off.

Why must you keep harping on the same point in every single thread??

What do you want to talk about, how many of the first 4 games we lose without Brady?

If goodell allows a neutral arbitrator and he only reduced 2 games, can brady still go to court ?

It'd look pretty dumb if court blows this all up for Brady and Pats still lose picks....

If goodell allows a neutral arbitrator and he only reduced 2 games, can brady still go to court ?

If Brady's sole fight is to get a reduction in penalty, while not nothing, this day is even more depressing than before.
Look, there was someone who first challenged the commissioner's punishment decision. There is someone who won a decision. I don't know if any player has overturned guilt, however, if not there always can be a first.
Anything less than Brady getting this in front of a judge/neutral third party to decide guilt will be extremely disappointing.

If Brady's sole fight is to get a reduction in penalty, while not nothing, this day is even more depressing than before.
Look, there was someone who first challenged the commissioner's punishment decision. There is someone who won a decision. I don't know if any player has overturned guilt, however, if not there always can be a first.
Anything less than Brady getting this in front of a judge/neutral third party to decide guilt will be extremely disappointing.
I hope you are right and brady is not part of this deal with kraft and goodell to reduce his suspension instead of clearing all of it. I would be really depressing.

If I am Brady and the NFLPA, I am going to court now. I still think Kraft and Goodell have a deal about Brady and if Goodell overturns the suspension, he can do so without exonerating Brady and Brady will have nothing to fight in court other than a defamation suit.

And you'd have made the wrong legal decision. The time to go to court is when the appeals under the CBA are exhausted. If Goodell names himself arbiter, the NFLPA will be in court. If the sentence is upheld, the NFLPA will be in court.

There is nothing to fight at the moment. As you say, if the suspension is removed, there is nothing to fight except for a defamation suit. That is absolutely true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News