PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL looking to ban long hair flowing from helmets - Are you for it or against it?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Banning long hair in the back of the helmet - like it or not?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: NFL looking to ban long hair flowing from helmets - Are you for it or against it

I'd much rather see sleeve length mandated.

Chris Hovan, I'm tired of seeing your freaking armpit every time the Bucs play.

Re: NFL looking to ban long hair flowing from helmets - Are you for it or against it

it would be a bad rule. the uniform rules are too strict, but at least that is only on the field. making someone cut their hair is something they have to have off the field also. and that does not make sense. this would be about cleaning up the look to be more "clean" and to have more control, than it would be about saftey.

Re: NFL likely to ban long hair flowing from helmets - Are you for it or against it?

it seema like the nfl is dealing with un-necessary stuff, instead of important things, let the plays express themselves

Seems to me that a player should be able to wear his hair as long as he wants - especially if it's in the CBA. On the other hand players who choose to wear their hair long should not get any extra protection from the refs. The issue probably came up from that Larry Johnson tackle on Troy Polamula. Johnson got a 15 yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalty, which was probably a bad call. The flag seemed to be a reaction to the hair-tackle; Johnson grabbed what he could, and couldn't get to Polamula's jersey because there was so much hair.

Re: NFL likely to ban long hair flowing from helmets - Are you for it or against it?

What in the name of who knows what are you talking about? And you are from Montana, how would you claim to know anything having to do with "gangster?" Sounds like you're pretty ignorant.

Shut yer pie hole about Montana.

There are gangs here just as anywhere.

The hair ban is inept.

The issue probably came up from that Larry Johnson tackle on Troy Polamula. Johnson got a 15 yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalty, which was probably a bad call. The flag seemed to be a reaction to the hair-tackle; Johnson grabbed what he could, and couldn't get to Polamula's jersey because there was so much hair.

This is exactly why they are considering the rule change. The way it's written now, every running back should grow out his hair. Tacklers can't grab it without getting a penalty. It's an unfair advantage for the long-haired ball carriers as it is now.

This rule would be tough to implement.
As someone mentioned, ther may be cultural issues at stake.
As in, I belie ve that long hair is part of the Samoan culture.
If they start telling guys like Polamalou to cut their hair, there's gonna be trouble.
But I do agree that it's a safety issue, and should be re-evaluated.
For the record, I have very long hair. My ponytail is about down to the bottom of my shoulder blades.

damn! the NFL is a game! let the players do what they want with their hair. Obviously I am against it, considering one of my favorite players (Polamalu) sports some pretty long hair. The long hair look has really become some players signature look that alot of fans identify them just by that. I think making too many rules restricts the fun of the game.

It's a really gay idea to be honest. Anyone who supports it has to be like 50+. Why not just make a rule saying you're not allowed to tackle by pulling down the hair. And the hair can only go down a certain length.

Because if you don't allow people to tackle by the hair, you're giving an automatic advantage to anyone with long hair... if it's covering the back of someone's jersey, how exactly are you supposed to tackle them without pulling it?

I don't see a league-enforced hair length policy getting very far.

It's a different sport, but look at the furor that the NBA's dress code caused a couple of years ago. And that was only requiring players to dress "business casual" if they were inactive for a game.

I don't think the league will ever get the players association to agree to this.

(BTW, thanks for mentioning the name of that Bengals D-lineman. I could never read the name on his jersey and I was always too lazy to look it up.)

I'm sorry but long hair does not equal Gangster. No more than Mohawk equals punk, shaved head equals racist skinhead (if white), etc. With that said, my guess is there is a very small chance the nflpa allows this to sit, but I can see them instituting a "tuck in your hair" rule where it has to go under the shirt and not outside it, but I can't believe there is any chance you can force an athlete to cut their hair. Maybe they'll just be forced to wear Reebok brand extensions instead.

ah yes, the tuck rule rears it's ugly head (pun intended). has anyone asked specter what he thinks ? there should be a congressional hearing. did any pats have long hair in our win over the eagles in the sb ? maybe walsh has a tape of it. talk about ridiculous.

It's a really gay idea to be honest. Anyone who supports it has to be like 50+.

What a stupid, ignorant comment. I'm over 50 and willing to bet that more guys from my generation had (and still have) long hair compared to yours. We "get it" when it comes to things like freedom of individual expression. It's not about being an old fart, it's about safety and being able to see the player's name/number. It is PROFESSIONAL football after all, for heaven sakes, and appearance SHOULD count. Certain standards of conformity in the presentation are entirely appropriate in exchange for the privilege of making millions of dollars.

I know it looks crappy, but if you had your number on the sides (sleeves, pants, etc.) you could still see the numbers.

Some teams already do this, but many of them don't.

Because if you don't allow people to tackle by the hair, you're giving an automatic advantage to anyone with long hair... if it's covering the back of someone's jersey, how exactly are you supposed to tackle them without pulling it?

IDK........ROFL TIME!!!!!......:rofl:

If a guy is OK with being pulled down by the hair... (I saw one, was it Polamalu with the Steelers on an interception return tackled that way. To his credit he just got up and went to the sidelines like it didn't hurt.)

That is an idiotic idea, for god sakes don't they have better things to do.. if a player wants long hair, he assumes the risk.. no big deal..

I agree, but this is the league that has a guy going to games to make sure players sox are pulled up.

I'm serious. Clinton Portis got fined because his sox were too long or something.

If a guy is OK with being pulled down by the hair... (I saw one, was it Polamalu with the Steelers on an interception return tackled that way. To his credit he just got up and went to the sidelines like it didn't hurt.)

But they guy who pulled him down by the hair got a 15 yard penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct. If the NFL won't ban long hair, they have to allow "hair takedowns" or it's an unfair advantage to long-haired ball carriers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents