PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL looking to ban long hair flowing from helmets - Are you for it or against it?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Banning long hair in the back of the helmet - like it or not?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: NFL likely to ban long hair flowing from helmets - Are you for it or against it?

Amazing, I've been waiting too long for this. Leave the whole gangster image off the field.

Re: NFL likely to ban long hair flowing from helmets - Are you for it or against it?

Amazing, I've been waiting too long for this. Leave the whole gangster image off the field.

What does having dreads have to do with being a "gangster"?

I'm sorry but long hair does not equal Gangster. No more than Mohawk equals punk, shaved head equals racist skinhead (if white), etc. With that said, my guess is there is a very small chance the nflpa allows this to sit, but I can see them instituting a "tuck in your hair" rule where it has to go under the shirt and not outside it, but I can't believe there is any chance you can force an athlete to cut their hair. Maybe they'll just be forced to wear Reebok brand extensions instead.

Incredibly stupid, incredibly petty. I don't even know where to begin.

If I were a player, I'd tell the NFL to f itself.

If I were the NFL, I'd tell the player to fork over his salary then ban him from the league.

Re: NFL looking to ban long hair flowing from helmets - Are you for it or against it

http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/

HAIR-RAISING RULE WOULD GO FLAT
Posted by Mike Florio on March 23, 2008, 11:09 a.m.

Sunday mornings in the NFL offseason are a time for relaxation and reflection. At PFT, it’s an opportunity for us to catch up on some of the stuff we missed during the week that was.

One item that caught our eye comes courtesy of Adam Schefter of NFL Network, via others like our own MDS of AOL’s FanHouse.

Per Schefter, the Kansas City Chiefs have proposed a rule that would prevent players from wearing hair so long that it covers the name on the top of their jerseys. The rule would apply to guys like Steelers safety Troy Polamalu, Jags cornerback Rashean Mathis, Packers cornerback Al Harris, Saints cornerback Mike McKenzie, and any other guy who aspires to grow their locks long enough to be utilized as an alternative to Charmin in the event the person in the next stall can’t spare a square.

But here’s the problem. The Collective Bargaining Agreement between the NFL and the NFL Players Association essneially prevents the passage of such a rule without the consent of the union.

Article VII, Section 2 states: “Clubs may make and enforce reasonable rules governing players’ appearance on the field and in public places while representing the Clubs; provided, however, that no player will be disciplined because of hair length or facial hair.”

Though the CBA doesn’t specifically prevent the teams from passing a rule regarding hair length, the rule would have no teeth because the teams could do nothing to enforce it.

And good luck getting this portion of the CBA changed. In the currently expanding climate of non-cooperation between the league and the union, the NFL would have to give something up in order to get the ability to implement a rule regarding hair length. Our guess is that the union would want more than what the league would be willing to give.

Besides, we envision no agreements of any kind being reached between the NFL and the NFLPA unless and until there’s a new CBA, which addresses the far more pressing issue of the split of the pot of billions of dollars between the players and the owners.

Re: NFL looking to ban long hair flowing from helmets - Are you for it or against it

rrjdxf.jpg

Damn gangsters.

so having a certain hair do gives u a gangster image? i guess if you have a buzz cut, we should say your carrying a nazi image.

stop stereotyping people by their hair. i know a ton of black people with dreads or fros who are intelligent and stay out of trouble. People are allowed to express themselves anyway they want and thats what makes them unique

First this - next thing you know they'll be limiting players celebrations after touchdowns.

Unless there's some safety or issue with not seeing numbers (unlikely) I'm against the ban - and all for anyone who can take down a player by pulling him down by the hair.

No one is telling the players to cut their hair, any more than waitresses are told to cut their hair. The rule would have the hair not hinder play.

It is not a stupid rule to require that player numbers be visible. Also, there is the safety issue of pulling hair.

No need to cut the hair. Just keep it wrapped up inside the helmet. It would be a stupid rule though.

What in the name of who knows what are you talking about? And you are from Montana, how would you claim to know anything having to do with "gangster?" Sounds like you're pretty ignorant.

This is the same league that fines players for not having their jerseys tucked in or having their socks down or not having their helmets strapped properly.

I'm not surprised at all unfortunately.

Someone's getting their neck broked one day if they don't ban it. And I agree - scrunch up that extra hair in the helmet, in cases where it's possible.

One more additional note - while it may look good on some guys like Maroney and Palomalu, there is this one fat guy from the Bengals, Domato Peko (sp) that looks like a f'in wishing troll.

77913058.jpg

Peko-733043.jpg

196261517arWrhc_th.jpg

troll.jpg

For me it depends on if the banning includes dreadlocks

Someone's getting their neck broked one day if they don't ban it. And I agree - scrunch up that extra hair in the helmet, in cases where it's possible.

One more additional note - while it may look good on some guys like Maroney and Palomalu, there is this one fat guy from the Bengals, Domato Peko (sp) that looks like a f'in wishing troll.

77913058.jpg

Peko-733043.jpg

196261517arWrhc_th.jpg

troll.jpg

I've always hated the look of that dude.

For me it depends on if the banning includes dreadlocks

If they are long enough, of course it does. Why would long dreadlocks not be banned while long non-dreadlocked hair would be?

Last edited:

We should make a rule that all players goose-step when introduced and should make a rule that only blonde-haired blue-eyed whites be allowed to participate.

How dare anyone try to stand out and be different?

It's a really gay idea to be honest. Anyone who supports it has to be like 50+. Why not just make a rule saying you're not allowed to tackle by pulling down the hair. And the hair can only go down a certain length.

I think it's a great idea, for practical reasons: it can help protect a player from serious injury if he's yanked down by the hair from the back, and in some cases the player's name is covered up on the back of his jersey. Plus, it just looks like crap -- very sloppy. I can't understand why a football player would want really long hair to begin with. I'm surprised the league waited so long to consider doing something about it.

I agree with this completelty. Althoug I guess I'll have to stop wearing my Maroney dreds to games. ;(

I don't really care either way, but I never could understand why a player would have long hair - it certainly is something others can key on to yank you off your feet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes