PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL (league wide) roster cuts – players of interest

I want to see the SF and SEA defensive lists*, in case they do a "courtesy cut".

*Speaking of those two teams, any twitter feeds for them would be appreciated as I continue to try rounding out my NFL twitter list.

I was just looking at the latest DT free agents on this website (link below) and they show Jaye Howard as a free agent, was he released by Seattle? I would be very surprised if he was, they sent Williams to IR today and Howard was considered very promising. If he was released and is on the open market I hope we give him a look.

2013 NFL Free Agents: Defensive Tackle

He made it past the cut downs to 75, but Ron Brace is not on many of the Redskins roster projections, considering the current state of our defensive tackles would you bring him back even if it was only until Armstead came off injured reserve, I would like to think that being cut may of opened his eyes a bit and motivated his lazy ass, although reports from Redskins camp indicate otherwise. Brace is talented though, he just is as I said a lazy, often injured player who should of never went in the second round of any NFL draft.

Thoughts?

If I recall correctly (full disclosure: FWIW I was incorrect yesterday about being able to place a player on IR now rather than final cuts), teams can place a claim for a waived/injured player, no different than any other player that is released.

I am fairly certain that players who are waived/injured, revert to IR when not claimed, and then are waived off IR with an injury settlement become free agents - but cannot play until after week six (same length of time as being on PUP) if they sign a new contract. I am less certain but if I am not mistaken if a team does claim a waived/injured player then the same six week rule applies; it wouldn't make sense for it to be different if he was waived off IR with an injury settlement or claimed by another team on waivers.

So in theory a team (e.g., Patriots) could claim Okoye and have him available to play later this season.

They waive/injured a guy in order to place him on IR before the cutdown day, if a team claims him they don't necessarily have to put him on IR. IIRC, when they receive an injury settlement they are free to sign with any other team at any other time but if they want to re-sign with the current club then they have to wait six weeks. I remember them doing this with Larry Centers in 2003.

Scout.com: Larry Centers returns to the Patriots

I was just looking at the latest DT free agents on this website (link below) and they show Jaye Howard as a free agent, was he released by Seattle? I would be very surprised if he was, they sent Williams to IR today and Howard was considered very promising. If he was released and is on the open market I hope we give him a look.

2013 NFL Free Agents: Defensive Tackle

That's a mistake. Jaye Howard is still with Seattle and signed through 2015.

On a side note, Our Lads does a pretty good job with depth charts if you want to go through and speculate who may become available. It's not 100% real time with all the cuts, but it's still a decent one-stop reference point for all 32 teams.

2013 Seattle Seahawks Depth Chart | Ourlads.com

They waive/injured a guy in order to place him on IR before the cutdown day, if a team claims him they don't necessarily have to put him on IR. IIRC, when they receive an injury settlement they are free to sign with any other team at any other time but if they want to re-sign with the current club then they have to wait six weeks. I remember them doing this with Larry Centers in 2003.

Scout.com: Larry Centers returns to the Patriots

Thanks.

I knew there was some type of six-week waiting time rule involved with that.

Re: Re: NFL (league wide) roster cuts – players of interest

That's a mistake. Jaye Howard is still with Seattle and signed through 2015.

On a side note, Our Lads does a pretty good job with depth charts if you want to go through and speculate who may become available. It's not 100% real time with all the cuts, but it's still a decent one-stop reference point for all 32 teams.

2013 Seattle Seahawks Depth Chart | Ourlads.com

Thanks brother! Informative as always :)

If I recall correctly (full disclosure: FWIW I was incorrect yesterday about being able to place a player on IR now rather than final cuts), teams can place a claim for a waived/injured player, no different than any other player that is released.

I am fairly certain that players who are waived/injured, revert to IR when not claimed, and then are waived off IR with an injury settlement become free agents - but cannot play until after week six (same length of time as being on PUP) if they sign a new contract. I am less certain but if I am not mistaken if a team does claim a waived/injured player then the same six week rule applies; it wouldn't make sense for it to be different if he was waived off IR with an injury settlement or claimed by another team on waivers.

So in theory a team (e.g., Patriots) could claim Okoye and have him available to play later this season.

Or a team like the Pats could claim Okoye, determine that he is healthier than SF thought,
and have him available to play on Opening Day. IOW, just because the team that waived you
fears that you are lost for the season doesn't mean that the team that claimed you is bound
to the same conclusion...or does it?

Edit: just read Armchair's post above, which came to the same conclusion, I think.

2 more name FBs cut:
Owen Marecic from Cleveland, taken 124th overall in 2011;
and Zach Boren from Houston, 2013 UDFA.

Or a team like the Pats could claim Okoye, determine that he is healthier than SF thought,
and have him available to play on Opening Day. IOW, just because the team that waived you
fears that you are lost for the season doesn't mean that the team that claimed you is bound
to the same conclusion...or does it?

Edit: just read Armchair's post above, which came to the same conclusion, I think.

IIRC The waived/injured designation doesn't indicate anything about the severity of the injury. It just means:

1. The player is not at this moment healthy enough to play/practice, so the team is not allowed to cut him; and

2. They're willing to risk him being claimed on waivers.

Most players who are waived/injured would have been just plain waived if they were healthy. Players who a team values are either kept on the roster to heal or IRed. (The famous exception, of course, was Jake Ballard.)

Most notable vet OLman cut today was OT Jeremy Trueblood from Washington.

Was listening to Moving the Chains on Sirius during the 6pm hour. While talking with a Squealers fan, Pat Kirwin suggested that, as a way to bolster their OL's razor-thin depth, PitsDirt should sign both Trueblood and OG Stephen Peterman, who was cut by the Jesters the day before. Kirwin claimed that signing both was financially feasable even though they were less than $5M under the cap.

I know another team that could use a vet OG...

2 more name FBs cut:
Owen Marecic from Cleveland, taken 124th overall in 2011;
and Zach Boren from Houston, 2013 UDFA.

I would think that if there's any chance that a real FB could make the team, it will be one guy and one guy only, and that is Devlin of course.

I would think that if there's any chance that a real FB could make the team, it will be one guy and one guy only, and that is Devlin of course.

Why? Develin's not a real FB either.

We cut Brace and replaced him with Forston last year. We could give him another try. I suspect that we'd rather bring in someone else.

He made it past the cut downs to 75, but Ron Brace is not on many of the Redskins roster projections, considering the current state of our defensive tackles would you bring him back even if it was only until Armstead came off injured reserve, I would like to think that being cut may of opened his eyes a bit and motivated his lazy ass, although reports from Redskins camp indicate otherwise. Brace is talented though, he just is as I said a lazy, often injured player who should of never went in the second round of any NFL draft.

Thoughts?

We cut Brace and replaced him with Forston last year. We could give him another try. I suspect that we'd rather bring in someone else.

I thought Brace was released to open a roster spot for Cunningham, when Cunningham returned from his suspension, and at the time Brace was injured and unable to play, I thought the Fortson move came later into the season to add reinforcement because of Jones ankle and Love’s knee.

Either way I agree though I would prefer someone else, but Brace at least understands the scheme, and given the slim pickings on the free agent market currently I am just throwing out some options.

Yes, Brace may be better than what we have. The bar is a low one. At least this year, the patriots have volunteered this weakness at backup DT instead of starting safety. Love or Deaderick would look very good right about now.

I thought Brace was released to open a roster spot for Cunningham, when Cunningham returned from his suspension, and at the time Brace was injured and unable to play, I thought the Fortson move came later into the season to add reinforcement because of Jones ankle and Love’s knee.

Either way I agree though I would prefer someone else, but Brace at least understands the scheme, and given the slim pickings on the free agent market currently I am just throwing out some options.

Yes, Brace may be better than what we have. The bar is a low one. At least this year, the patriots have volunteered this weakness at backup DT instead of starting safety. Love or Deaderick would look very good right about now.

In fairness, I doubt the Patriots foresaw Armstead contracting an infection that would require surgery and a fairly lengthy rehab.

Just out of curiosity, I visited Jax boards to find out how our former DTs are doing. Not a lot of discussion about them. Love has gotten a little love, but I didn't see any comments at all on Deaderick. I think I'd take one of them back now, if available.

Just out of curiosity, I visited Jax boards to find out how our former DTs are doing. Not a lot of discussion about them. Love has gotten a little love, but I didn't see any comments at all on Deaderick. I think I'd take one of them back now, if available.

I watched the J'ville/Philly game. Love got some first half snaps, only saw Deaderick for a few plays in the second half. I would guess that Love sticks as a back-up DT, Deaderick is a long shot to make the team. Ebert caught a pass in the second half and showed some ability, though it's tough to really judge what ability he has as J'ville's back-up QBs weren't good.

Why is it reasonable to have as your ONLY backup someone who has never played one snap in the NFL? Isn't it better to have 5 players competing for the 2 DT's spots, sort like what we do for open spots at WR every year.

Why didn't we sign any backups?

Yes, Kelly was an awesome pickup.

In fairness, I doubt the Patriots foresaw Armstead contracting an infection that would require surgery and a fairly lengthy rehab.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back