PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL Free Agency Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sign Hoyer? Trade Garoppolo to Browns for a 3rd + Gordon? :D

Trading Garoppolo for a high 2nd and signing Hoyer would be a hilarious **** you to the NFL. The sum total of the deflategate sanctions, at that point, would be dropping 5-10 spots in this draft, plus a 4th rounder next year.

Bingo. Same successful procedure as every year.

But by all means everyone who is pissed about a lack of "splashy signings" go cheer for the Dolphins.

Yeah, it's crazy to think that the Patriots could use big FA periods to win. It's not as if 2001, 2003, 2007, and 2015 ever happened, after all.

Brockweiler to Houston hahaha. I hope he becomes a great QB.

Ladies and gentlemen, start your engines! At 4 PM today (3/9) things will start to take shape, players will find new homes, and offseason champions will be crowned! Post all your rumors and updates here as they come. Here are a few.

This one stings:

Bingo. Same successful procedure as every year.

But by all means everyone who is pissed about a lack of "splashy signings" go cheer for the Dolphins.

Ya they quickly forgot the Pats had two of the biggest steals last year. Jabaal Sheard was basically the steal of free agency period last year and Dion Lewis was signed to a futures contract at the end of the regular season in '14

Glad i haven't seen a whole lot on CJ Anderson, Kearse, or Matthews yet. Quietly hoping and praying that means one, or all 3 of those guys, are still in the Pats financial range.

Would love Matthews but if Sanu and Jones get 7m+ in addition to a better depth chart position then I am not sure we will have a shot at landing him.

We likely won't, but every year guys of the same/similar talent end up signing for way less a ways into FA. Seems like the first guys to sign set a market, the next round get a bump over it, and anyone who waits too long for the crest of that wave ends up seeing the market bottom out. That's when teams like the Pats come in and get bargains.

I dunno if Matthews will still be around for step 3--you're right to be skeptical, IMO--but as a player I prefer him to those other guys that already signed, so I'm happy with waiting. And if he isn't available, I'll take Kearse or Boldin happily as a consolation price for half of what Sanu and Jones are getting.

Yeah, it's crazy to think that the Patriots could use big FA periods to win. It's not as if 2001, 2003, 2007, and 2015 ever happened, after all.

Because you have opportunities to get Moss or Revis at their individual respective rates every year. Right?

Tell me a single FA player so far that we should have signed at the same rate that he ended up signing with another team.

Is there any deal that is realistic that would make people here willing to trade trade Garoppolo to Denver?

I would just hate the idea of pulling that move and seeing it work for Denver and 5 years from now we are kicking ourselves or even this coming year.

Have to wonder whether Osweiler to Houston is solely a money issue or whether his benching in favour of the corpse of Manning against San Diego has something to do with it.
He's got to be a little salty about the whole situation and it certainly didn't help Denver that they so openly turned on him after he objectively outplayed Manning throughout the season, that's for sure. Can't argue with the result for the Denver choice there, they did win the SB, but it cost 'em.

They already lost two LBs and Malik Jackson. Doubtful that they can be as good as last season.
Chiefs and Raiders coming up too, that division isn't as soft as it was when Manning went out there 4 years ago.

Interesting wrinkle w/ Osweiler signing in Houston: Hoyer is probably available now. If the Pats were to trade Garoppolo, I bet they could reasonably replace him with Hoyer for cheap.

That's been my evil plan....

Trade JAG to Cleveland in a package that gets Gordon
Sign Hoyer/Cassel as the backup

Profit

FAs still on the board I'd like

Kearse - WR
Bolden - WR
Zach Miller - TE
Jacquizz Rodgers - RB
Hicks - DT
O'Brien Schofield - LB
Kelechi Osemele - G/OT* - My guy to get. An instant probowl caliber guard who can be a very solid LT if need be. Solves a lot of OL problems instantly.

Expensive
Old
No
No
Yes, please
Need cheap backup
Gone

If I'm Denver, I might and try to sign Fitzpatrick. He can run that offense. They don't need him to win the games, just not to lose them.

They are going to be weaker on defense this year though so they will need a bit more out of their offense than they got last year.

Because you have opportunities to get Moss or Revis at their individual respective rates every year. Right?

Tell me a single FA player so far that we should have signed at the same rate that he ended up signing with another team.

Since we don't have firm numbers, I couldn't possible do that. Your question is, therefore, a dishonest one. However, your crack on others about "slashy signings" was ridiculous, given the Patriots FA history under BB.

We likely won't, but every year guys of the same/similar talent end up signing for way less a ways into FA. Seems like the first guys to sign set a market, the next round get a bump over it, and anyone who waits too long for the crest of that wave ends up seeing the market bottom out. That's when teams like the Pats come in and get bargains.

I dunno if Matthews will still be around for step 3--you're right to be skeptical, IMO--but as a player I prefer him to those other guys that already signed, so I'm happy with waiting. And if he isn't available, I'll take Kearse or Boldin happily as a consolation price for half of what Sanu and Jones are getting.

Agree with everything you said. And you nailed it I doubt that Matthews will be available long enough for his price to drop.

Also -- and this might be my bigger fear -- I am not sure he will be happy with his projected role here in respect to having another FA payday in 2-3 years. He needs a chance to be at least receiving option two to cash in and it will be difficult to be that here.

FAs still on the board I'd like

Kearse - WR
Bolden - WR
Zach Miller - TE
Jacquizz Rodgers - RB
Hicks - DT
O'Brien Schofield - LB
Kelechi Osemele - G/OT* - My guy to get. An instant probowl caliber guard who can be a very solid LT if need be. Solves a lot of OL problems instantly.

Osemele is a Raider, Rodgers is bad, Schofield is a back-of-the-roster replacement guy. Otherwise I'd be happy with Kearse, Boldin, Miller, and Hicks. They could use a real linebacker too.

No info on Weddle. Pats will sign him. Mark it down.

Or,I could be wrong.

They need a coverage needy WR. They can't have a JAG out there.

Wtf Forte to jets? Damn Bill do something

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back