PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL Draftcountdown Mock 2/5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kind of have to agree with him. Nothing special from those two guys. Wheatley a "C-" and Wilhite, a "C". At the end of the day we are all talking that the Pats need another CB either via FA or an upgrade on those two in the draft for 2009. How is he that wrong? "Metza-Metz" comes to mind.

How many here are happy to leave these two kids as our CBs of the future?....raise your hands..........Didn't think so.

I hope I am "Matt Cassel wrong" here, but I think not. I see JAGS in the James Sanders, Dexter Reid mold.

Please, I am wrong in my life way more than right. Can you let me in on what homework I can see about those two or would C and C- be about right?
Why are we searching for another CB?

I think Wilhite will stick as a backup/ST guy though.
DW Toys

OK.. Let me get this straight. Its your belief that you are able to project that Wheatley and Wilhite will only amount to JAGS based on the few things you saw from them this year. Wheatley earned a starting nod twice before his injury. And Wilhite was starting by the end of the year. Yet, its your belief that they'll only ever be JAGS? Are you Miss Cleo or something? Seriously.

Also, how can you put Dexter Reid and James Sanders in the same category? Reid wasn't even a JAG. Sanders, on the other hand, has numerous starts to his name. Again, you are letting your hatred for Sanders cloud your thinking. Like you have done on plenty of other occasions.

The reason people have been talking about adding a veteran CB or another CB via the draft is for DEPTH. The Pats defensive style of play lends itself to the DBs getting injured. ALOT. So, having depth there would be a good thing. Also, because Hobbs is a UFA next year and there is no guarantee that he'll be back. So the Patriots having another body who has a year in the system puts them in a better position to absorb the loss of Hobbs.

id be happy with James L there; although i would rather get a pass rushing outside linebacker.

I like Wheatley and Wilhite, they are definitely here for several more years. Wheatley is quick on quick, and I see him as the passing down CB to prolong his career. He could play slot or the LCB position. They both became starters within the first year. They are young, so when you view the roster from a distance CB may not be that high of a priority, i.e, lower round pick. We will find out this spring what BB thinks of last years draftees.

On safety's how often have we hade rookies come in and not produce, versus the verterans. Maybe it is a selective memory, but Reid comes to mind as opposed to Artelle Hawkins, the better answer for S may be the free agent route.

Kind of have to agree with him. Nothing special from those two guys. Wheatley a "C-" and Wilhite, a "C". At the end of the day we are all talking that the Pats need another CB either via FA or an upgrade on those two in the draft for 2009. How is he that wrong? "Metza-Metz" comes to mind.

How many here are happy to leave these two kids as our CBs of the future?....raise your hands..........Didn't think so.

I hope I am "Matt Cassel wrong" here, but I think not. I see JAGS in the James Sanders, Dexter Reid mold.

Please, I am wrong in my life way more than right. Can you let me in on what homework I can see about those two or would C and C- be about right?
Why are we searching for another CB?

I think Wilhite will stick as a backup/ST guy though.
DW Toys

Last edited:
I disagree with Wilhite being a disappointment, but I would agree with Wheatley being a disappointment. Wilhite was a late 4th round pick and got on the field early in the year on special teams, then played in the nickel, and finally started the last few games when the Patriots had seen enough of Deltha O'Neal.

Wheatley as a late 2nd round pick did disappoint. Terrence was unable to beat out journeymen like Lewis Sanders and Deltha O'Neal for a place on the active 45 to start the year. Wilhite got the last corner spot early in the year because he was a better special teams guy than Wheatley. Wheatley showed some flashes when he did get on the field, but then he got injured. We got 6 games, 2 tackles and 2 passes defensed from our 2nd round pick. That's a disappointment to me.

I don't think we saw enough of Wheatley or Wilhite to make a determination that they can be an effective starting CB's in the NFL. I'd rather not go in to next season with Ellis Hobbs, castoff dujour(s), and unproven guys like Wheatley, Wilhite and whatever rookie(s) we may draft. I think a proven CB (that other teams actually want) is a necessity this offseason. I liked Wheatley in the draft and think he can be a player, but I don't want to have to count on him as a starter in 2009. The Patriots allowed the 2nd most passing TD's in the league last year, and the CB play had a significant role in that.

Wheatley as a late 2nd round pick did disappoint. Terrence was unable to beat out journeymen like Lewis Sanders and Deltha O'Neal for a place on the active 45 to start the year. Wilhite got the last corner spot early in the year because he was a better special teams guy than Wheatley. Wheatley showed some flashes when he did get on the field, but then he got injured. We got 6 games, 2 tackles and 2 passes defensed from our 2nd round pick. That's a disappointment to me.
Truly you are setting a high standard. Wheatley was drafted just a few places ahead of where Hobbs was drafted, and Hobbs saw minimal reps during the first half of the season while Starks took the heat, then Hobbs became the starter. O'Neal took our disgust while Wheatley was being developed. Wheatley started the one game - against Indy, sure sounds like BB was disappointed with him - before injuring himself. Injuries happen, I feel disappointed for Wheatley and for the opportunity to grow into the job, but I truly don't see how you can consider him a disappointment.

So far the New England scouts have only shown interest in three CBs: Victor Harris, Virginia Tech; Keenan Lewis, Oregon State; and Ellis Lankster, West Virginia. They're all second day guys (Maybe Macho goes late round 2.) So far it seems as though we will pick a corner for depth. Not because of a lack of talent at the position. If the Pats express interst in better CBs going forward then CB becomes an option earlier.

If the Pats express interst in better CBs going forward then CB becomes an option earlier.

I don't follow the logic but maybe others do....

I don't follow the logic but maybe others do....

Sometimes I try to cram too much into a sentence.:)

What I meant was, if the Patriots contact some of the top 5 CBs in the future, then we can conclude they are at least thinking about using an early draft pick on one. So far that's not the case.

Why waste my time looking at prospects who the Pats haven't shown interest in?

Sometimes I try to cram too much into a sentence.:)

What I meant was, if the Patriots contact some of the top 5 CBs in the future, then we can conclude they are at least thinking about using an early draft pick on one. So far that's not the case.

Why waste my time looking at prospects who the Pats haven't shown interest in?

It's a LONG way between now and the draft. The Patriots will look at a lot more rookes at the combine. It's really presumptuous for you to think that the Pats aren't looking at corners based only on their workouts/invitations to this date.

It's pretty easy to see that this team has a #2 CB trying to play #1 and a bunch of JAGs plus unknowns playing CB. I'd like to see Wilhite and Wheatley develop but they are far from sure things.

Last edited:
I think Miami will take Max Unger or Alex Mack with their 1st pick rather than reaching. It's a definite position of need for them. Satele can't handle Wilfork and Jenkins, he's too soft. We all know how BP feels about the importance of the C position from his days here.

It's too early for me to speculate on the Pats picks but I'm sure Byrd will not be one of the picks, he is strictly a cover 2 corner.

A follow up to my post. From PFT & ESPN today: ProFootballTalk.com - DOLPHINS PONDERING CENTER OPTIONS

I like the ESPN headline: Welker trade gets even uglier for Fins
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nflnation/0-5-162/Welker-trade-gets-even-uglier-for-Fins.html

Last edited:
I want and expect us to draft a CB on Day One. After all, this could be the last season for Hobbs.

However, we are not playing a #2 CB and a bunch of jags and unknowns. You may believe that Belichick has done a terrible job in drafting Wilhite and Wheatley. Few others do. They have both performed as well as Hobbs in his first year. I expect us to bring back Lew Sanders. Call him JAG if you wish; Belichick calls such players "role" players. Sanders can start at corner or safety as needed. Alternatively he can play nickel and dime back. He did a good job on defense this year.

If Hobbs were extended before the draft, I would NOT expect to see a corner drafted on Day One.

It's a LONG way between now and the draft. The Patriots will look at a lot more rookes at the combine. It's really presumptuous for you to think that the Pats aren't looking at corners based only on their workouts/invitations to this date.

It's pretty easy to see that this team has a #2 CB trying to play #1 and a bunch of JAGs plus unknowns playing CB. I'd like to see Wilhite and Wheatley develop but they are far from sure things.

Miami needs a new center???

From the man that stated the only infrmation at draft time is Mis-information.

Anybody here really think the center position is the Miami weak link??

I though they were very happy with Satele(sp), young, upcoming, cheap,,

I would not mind a more powerful center here in NE, tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News