PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NEXT year's draft

Status
Not open for further replies.
don't assume we'll get a top 10 pick. oakland improved themselves a lot over the weekend. they won 5 games last year. I would imagine that jason campbell, rolando mcclain and bruce campbell will add at least another 2-3 games. We're looking at a mid-first round pick in the 10-15 range.

Unfortunately you're probably right. Their defense is actually quite good, and even though I'm not a fan of Campbell's AT ALL, he's still MUCH MUCH better than Jamarucs Russel..not sure he's that much better than Gradkowski. Hey...maybe they'll release Gradkowski and we can have Gostkowski, Gronkowski, and Gradkowski.

don't assume we'll get a top 10 pick. oakland improved themselves a lot over the weekend. they won 5 games last year. I would imagine that jason campbell, rolando mcclain and bruce campbell will add at least another 2-3 games. We're looking at a mid-first round pick in the 10-15 range.

Maybe I am crazy but I almose hope we don't get a top 10 pick from the Raiders.
If we pick 11-16 with Oaklands pick, BB may actually take a solid player.
Say we have #7, I feel there's a better chance he'll trade it back.
Two picks in the first round can really help us.

Despite the McCourty pick, I still wouldn't be shocked by Patrick Peterson.

7-9, the best I believe they could possibly do...netted at worst the 12th pick and at best the 10h pick this year's draft. It netted the 10th or 11th pick in last year's draft. It was at worst 15th and at best the 9th pick in the 2008 draft.

That's not so bad of a spot to pick in, that is the same area that the Patriots got Mayo two years ago and Ty Warren in 2003. It does not have to be a top 10 pick, it just has to be a decent low first round pick. And even if it isn't, they have or can get the picks needed to move down to get their guy.

Unfortunately you're probably right. Their defense is actually quite good, and even though I'm not a fan of Campbell's AT ALL, he's still MUCH MUCH better than Jamarucs Russel..not sure he's that much better than Gradkowski. Hey...maybe they'll release Gradkowski and we can have Gostkowski, Gronkowski, and Gradkowski.

Next year will have 2 Polish kickers (try to pronounce thei last names )
Josh Czajkowski
Matt Szymanski
in addition to
Josh Dworaczyk OG
Kevi Kowalski C
Stefan Wisniewski C
Lee Ziemba OT

I really hope that we can get a top ten pick but Oakland looks to have gotten a little better. And I also hope that BB doesn't trade that pick away.

efin98 projected a 7-12 pick which hopefully will give us a Seymour (6), Warren (12), or Mayo (10).
It is more likely and I hope that BB does trade down to get an additional pick. I like having a #1 and 2-3 #2's every year.

We should manage at least 3 trade backs with the Raider's pick and 2 trade backs with the Carolina pick. Perhaps 1 trade back of our own pick ... giving us @6 tradebacks next year. :D

efin98 projected a 7-12 pick which hopefully will give us a Seymour (6), Warren (12), or Mayo (10).
It is more likely and I hope that BB does trade down to get an additional pick. I like having a #1 and 2-3 #2's every year.

Just from the last three drafts it is more like I predict 9-15th pick...I don't think he budges from that spot to move up to get someone unless he knew his guy wouldn't be there.

Their own pick, hopefully a very high 20s to 30s pick, would be the one that gets dealt for a 2nd rounder and more.

Last edited:
Not that it matters. But, here would be my power rankings in reverse order. I think there's a clear bottom 7. Actually bottom 4, then 5-7 not so hot either.

1. Buffalo - Jack Locker come on down.
2. St. Louis - Just as bad as Buffalo.
3. TB - They better hope Freeman can play. If not, back in bottom 3.
4. Detroit. - Could actually jump if a vet like Burleson plays well with Stafford and they
get some production from Suh and J.Best.
5. Cleveland - I just don't see Delhomme working out here.
6. KC - Could finish ahead of Oak if Cassel healthy and E.Berry produces.
7. Oak - I don't think much of J.Campbell. Washington was 4-12 with him and Shanny couldn't wait to get rid of him. What's that tell you? Love R.McClain. Not enough offense.

I have the next 7 as clearly better than Oakland. Just not playoff teams. With injuries/bad luck these teams could slip back. But, I feel they start the season better than
Oakland. Just not good enough to make the playoffs.

8. Jax - Would be terrible if anything ever happened to Jones-Drew.
9. Washington - D.McNabb and Shanahan start their climb to respectability.
10. Seattle - I thought had spectacular draft. Love Okung and E.Thomas. Lendale White and L.Washington should help. Key is health of M.Hasselback.
11. Chicago - Not sure what to make of J.Cutler yet. J.Peppers helps if motivated.
12. Carolina - 2 years removed from a great season. Is Moore the answer at qb?
Claussen not ready for NFL yet. Peppers loss has to hurt a little.
13. Denver - Hot starts the last 2 years and really faltered down the stretch.
14. S.F. - Another team with a good draft that appears to be on the rise. Got 2 ol whom will help immediately. Iupati and A.Davis. Not sold on qb situation though.

I think the next 6 could definetely make the playoffs and are light years ahead
of Oakland.

15. Philly - Gambling Kolb can play. But, he has the playmakers to work with. Made playoffs last year. I'm putting them behind Atlanta because of QB concersn.
16. Cincy - Won their division last year. Seem to have matured as a team a little.
I think the Steelers rebound and nudge them out for wild-card.
17. Miami - C.Henne is the key here. Putting a nice roster around him.
18. Tennessee - Put it together after dreadful start. Chris Johnson and Vince Young
keep them in contention. I like the D.Morgan pick too.
19. Houston - They're going to make the playoffs one of these years aren't they?
20. NY Giants - Not sure they have enough defense to make the playoffs.
Doubt if Pierre-Paul contributes this year. Too raw.

I don't want to argue about which playoff teams are better than the others. But, suffice to say. All of them way better than Oakland. Here's my guesses.
Wild Cards
21. NYJ - Good off-season.
22. Pitt - Maybe, Ben got the hint about getting his act together
23. Atlanta - I like M.Ryan and what they're doing.
24. GB - Continue to get better off solid season.
Division Winners
25. Arizona - Someone has to win that division. Could really miss K.Warner
26. NE - Didn't think I was going to put us behind Jesters did ya?
27. Baltimore - Boldin helps. Flacco better improve. Wasn't so hot last year.
28. SD - Appear to have taken a step back. Lost A.Cromartie and LT. If Williams is healthy at NT will make up for it.
29. Dallas - Don't see them falling back at all.
30. Minny - Obviously, I have Favre coming back. If not, Give GB division and Giants the
wild card.
31. Indy - They always win at least 12 games.
32. NO - Giving champs their props. Better watch out for Falcons though.

There ya go. I have our picks at 7, 26, 44 and 58. You don't expect me to tell you who they are yet do you?

Surprised noone mentioned Mark Ingram (super stud RB) with the Raiders pick. My guess is the pick will be in the teens thanks to someone at the hotel drugging Al's coffee just before the draft started. Then they locked him up in a closet for the weekend.

Sorry to say that Raiders just got 2-3 more wins out of that draft plus Cambell at QB. Plus KC improving but still a work in progress. Josh McD also screwed us by trading away all the Bronchos talent the last 2 years and just trading a haul of draft picks for a developmental QB who won't contribute at all this year. I see Denver taking a step back and possibly even losing both games to the dreaded Raider Nation. Thanks for nothing JOSH! :mad:

So the upshot in the relatively weak AFC West is that Oakland is close to .500 but obviously missing playoffs which means a pick in the teens. :(

Not that it matters. But, here would be my power rankings in reverse order. I think there's a clear bottom 7. Actually bottom 4, then 5-7 not so hot either.

1. Buffalo - Jack Locker come on down.
2. St. Louis - Just as bad as Buffalo.
3. TB - They better hope Freeman can play. If not, back in bottom 3.
4. Detroit. - Could actually jump if a vet like Burleson plays well with Stafford and they
get some production from Suh and J.Best.
5. Cleveland - I just don't see Delhomme working out here.
6. KC - Could finish ahead of Oak if Cassel healthy and E.Berry produces.
7. Oak - I don't think much of J.Campbell. Washington was 4-12 with him and Shanny couldn't wait to get rid of him. What's that tell you? Love R.McClain. Not enough offense.

I have the next 7 as clearly better than Oakland. Just not playoff teams. With injuries/bad luck these teams could slip back. But, I feel they start the season better than
Oakland. Just not good enough to make the playoffs.

8. Jax - Would be terrible if anything ever happened to Jones-Drew.
9. Washington - D.McNabb and Shanahan start their climb to respectability.
10. Seattle - I thought had spectacular draft. Love Okung and E.Thomas. Lendale White and L.Washington should help. Key is health of M.Hasselback.
11. Chicago - Not sure what to make of J.Cutler yet. J.Peppers helps if motivated.
12. Carolina - 2 years removed from a great season. Is Moore the answer at qb?
Claussen not ready for NFL yet. Peppers loss has to hurt a little.
13. Denver - Hot starts the last 2 years and really faltered down the stretch.
14. S.F. - Another team with a good draft that appears to be on the rise. Got 2 ol whom will help immediately. Iupati and A.Davis. Not sold on qb situation though.

I think the next 6 could definetely make the playoffs and are light years ahead
of Oakland.

15. Philly - Gambling Kolb can play. But, he has the playmakers to work with. Made playoffs last year. I'm putting them behind Atlanta because of QB concersn.
16. Cincy - Won their division last year. Seem to have matured as a team a little.
I think the Steelers rebound and nudge them out for wild-card.
17. Miami - C.Henne is the key here. Putting a nice roster around him.
18. Tennessee - Put it together after dreadful start. Chris Johnson and Vince Young
keep them in contention. I like the D.Morgan pick too.
19. Houston - They're going to make the playoffs one of these years aren't they?
20. NY Giants - Not sure they have enough defense to make the playoffs.
Doubt if Pierre-Paul contributes this year. Too raw.

I don't want to argue about which playoff teams are better than the others. But, suffice to say. All of them way better than Oakland. Here's my guesses.
Wild Cards
21. NYJ - Good off-season.
22. Pitt - Maybe, Ben got the hint about getting his act together
23. Atlanta - I like M.Ryan and what they're doing.
24. GB - Continue to get better off solid season.
Division Winners
25. Arizona - Someone has to win that division. Could really miss K.Warner
26. NE - Didn't think I was going to put us behind Jesters did ya?
27. Baltimore - Boldin helps. Flacco better improve. Wasn't so hot last year.
28. SD - Appear to have taken a step back. Lost A.Cromartie and LT. If Williams is healthy at NT will make up for it.
29. Dallas - Don't see them falling back at all.
30. Minny - Obviously, I have Favre coming back. If not, Give GB division and Giants the
wild card.
31. Indy - They always win at least 12 games.
32. NO - Giving champs their props. Better watch out for Falcons though.

There ya go. I have our picks at 7, 26, 44 and 58. You don't expect me to tell you who they are yet do you?

nice work and analysis! I think you are spot on in the majority of the cases. I would just bump up Detroit,Clev and Oakland a little while dropping Denver (playmakers?), Carolina and Jax (tough division). Ergo Raiders inching toward respectability and in the low teens. Thats my crystal ball.

Several other posters have mentioned Robert Quinn, but I want to reiterate their point. He is the next great pass rusher--I'm certain of it. Such an inspirational story, and a truly incredible athlete. The fact that he's playing at the same school as LT and Julius Peppers only adds to the pedigree. I think he could end up being somewhere in between the two.

Surprised noone mentioned Mark Ingram (super stud RB) with the Raiders pick. My guess is the pick will be in the teens thanks to someone at the hotel drugging Al's coffee just before the draft started. Then they locked him up in a closet for the weekend.

I've definitely been thinking about him. Would be a little surprised to see us take a skill position guy that early, but would not mind it at all. Keep in mind all our backs are free agents after this year.

Several other posters have mentioned Robert Quinn, but I want to reiterate their point. He is the next great pass rusher--I'm certain of it. Such an inspirational story, and a truly incredible athlete. The fact that he's playing at the same school as LT and Julius Peppers only adds to the pedigree. I think he could end up being somewhere in between the two.

Please share the inspirational story...I saw something about brain surgery! Is that what you're alluding to?

It'll be pretty sad doing a draft when we don't even know if there is going to be a season...

It'll be pretty sad doing a draft when we don't even know if there is going to be a season...

There'll be a season ... even if it's a JAG season.

I'm wagering that Bill already has a list of players to field that team.:D

nice work and analysis! I think you are spot on in the majority of the cases. I would just bump up Detroit,Clev and Oakland a little while dropping Denver (playmakers?), Carolina and Jax (tough division). Ergo Raiders inching toward respectability and in the low teens. Thats my crystal ball.

Thanks. I wanted to move Denver back. Tebow won't play this year. They did trade B.Marshall. But, drafted two pretty good wr's D.Thomas and E.Decker. Not comparing them to B.Marshall. But, if they contribute it diminishes his loss. And, they won 8 games last year compared to 5 for Oakland. And, I'm no fan of J.Campbell at all. Do you know when Washington had their best year in his career? When he got hurt, and Todd Collins of all people led them to the playoffs. Campbell is better than Jamarcus. But, not enough to separate them from the dregs of the league. Agree about Jax. They don't look too hot. Garrard and Jones-Drew usually pull some games out. That's why I only had them one spot ahead of Oakland. Carolina won 8 games last year after 12 in 08. If Moore can play a decent qb at all. They are better than Oakland IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes