PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

New rules change - official to actually have to see penalty?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsRI

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Does this make any sense to anyone?
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2380129

'The committee also is considering recommending to officials that they make sure there was holding on a play before throwing a flag.

"We want to make sure they actually see the foul," McKay said.

One such play occurred in the Super Bowl. Seattle right tackle Sean Locklear was called for holding on a pass completion early in the fourth quarter that would have put the Seahawks at the Pittsburgh 1-yard line, poised to go in for the tying touchdown. After the penalty, Seattle quarterback Matt Hasselbeck threw an interception and the Steelers eventually scored to take a 14-point lead.'

Don't they usually have to see a foul to call it?

Also the change on defenders and QBs, might as well just put a flag on the passers now since you can't seem to hit them anymore.

I think that officials frequently make holding calls, for example, based on the reactions of the defensive player (i.e., being jerked to one direction, falling down). Also, in making pass interference calls, they sometimes are looking at the offensive player's reaction, such as tripping, or just plain complaining. I think they want to make sure the official sees the actual infraction, rather than just the reaction that they associate with the commission of the infraction.

PatsRI said:
Does this make any sense to anyone?
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2380129

'The committee also is considering recommending to officials that they make sure there was holding on a play before throwing a flag.

"We want to make sure they actually see the foul," McKay said.

One such play occurred in the Super Bowl. Seattle right tackle Sean Locklear was called for holding on a pass completion early in the fourth quarter that would have put the Seahawks at the Pittsburgh 1-yard line, poised to go in for the tying touchdown. After the penalty, Seattle quarterback Matt Hasselbeck threw an interception and the Steelers eventually scored to take a 14-point lead.'

Don't they usually have to see a foul to call it?

Also the change on defenders and QBs, might as well just put a flag on the passers now since you can't seem to hit them anymore.
I guess they were calling penalties based on screaming or the sound of bones breaking. Baseball has its three blind mice, boxing has rope-a-dope, what would football have?

Unfreaking believable!

And Seattle was going in for the lead, not a tie if I remember correctly!

100_2158.gif

And then, of course, the call which absolutely tore at my spirit (there was more "***" in my post during the game discussion here than actual letters after the play):

http://www.youtube.com/w/NFL-offici...al Patriots Steelers Broncos Colts ESPN Pizza

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back