Welcome to PatsFans.com

New rules change - official to actually have to see penalty?

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by PatsRI, Mar 22, 2006.

1. PatsRI

PatsRI PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Does this make any sense to anyone?
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2380129

'The committee also is considering recommending to officials that they make sure there was holding on a play before throwing a flag.

"We want to make sure they actually see the foul," McKay said.

One such play occurred in the Super Bowl. Seattle right tackle Sean Locklear was called for holding on a pass completion early in the fourth quarter that would have put the Seahawks at the Pittsburgh 1-yard line, poised to go in for the tying touchdown. After the penalty, Seattle quarterback Matt Hasselbeck threw an interception and the Steelers eventually scored to take a 14-point lead.'

Don't they usually have to see a foul to call it?

Also the change on defenders and QBs, might as well just put a flag on the passers now since you can't seem to hit them anymore.
  2. letekro

letekro Rookie

Ratings:
    +17 / 2 / -3

I think that officials frequently make holding calls, for example, based on the reactions of the defensive player (i.e., being jerked to one direction, falling down). Also, in making pass interference calls, they sometimes are looking at the offensive player's reaction, such as tripping, or just plain complaining. I think they want to make sure the official sees the actual infraction, rather than just the reaction that they associate with the commission of the infraction.
  3. Fanfrom1960

Fanfrom1960 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I guess they were calling penalties based on screaming or the sound of bones breaking. Baseball has its three blind mice, boxing has rope-a-dope, what would football have?
  4. sarge

sarge Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Unfreaking believable!

And Seattle was going in for the lead, not a tie if I remember correctly!
  5. pats1

pats1 Moderator PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Last edited: Mar 22, 2006