PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

New England: Rejuvenation Station

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSn

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Yep, second thread in like... 10 minutes. Different topic, though.

For all of you guys that go back at least to 2000, what players that we basically cast-off's because of behaviour issues or a drop-off in skills have come to New England and thrived?

To me Seau, Moss and more recently Deltha O'Neil seem to fit, but I have to admit, I'm still learning my Pat's history. This team, especially since Kraft, seems to have a knack for turning low draft picks, UDFA's and cast-offs into special players. Can you guys throw me some more examples with a brief explanation?

Thanks guys. After spying on some opponents forums, they are LAME. You guys get A+'s for class (most of the time) and football knowledge. I appreciate your help!

Corey Dillon would seem to be a good example since he did well here for a while after having problems as a Bengal. It seemed that all he wanted was to win which was an attitude that did not fit into the Bengal system.

I was going to post Corey. What about Rodney?

Brian Cox and a huge chunk of the 2001 roster.

Not so many behavior problems. I'd say the Pats have taken in fewer than any other team I can think of. Basically, Dillon and Moss. Deltha wasn't a problem in Denver or Cincinnati. Neither was Harrison in SD.

Most of the vets signed the last few years did't really have a dropoff in skills, I don't think. The ones that come to mind were from that big FA class (I want to say 17 FAs made the team) in 2001. All these guys showed dropoffs and were cut by original team and signed by the Pats and did well:
Cox
Vrabel
Phifer
O.T.I.S
Buckley
Pokey
Compton
Andruzzi (not all that high I guess but was cut-down casualty from GB, though it might have been 2000, now that I think of it)

Ted Washington. We got him in preseason for (if I recall correctly) a 4th. He was a key part of the 2003 defense, then as a result received a much better free agent contract in 2004 than we wanted to pay.

Roman Phifer.

Possibly Anthony Pleasant and Bobby Hamilton, but they didn't so much rejuvenate their careers as they used their knowledge from the late 90s Jets to get jobs here.

Last edited:
whatever happened to lynch?
I thought he was coming back.

Bryan Cox was one of the first of the BB era to be considered to have a 'bad attitude' and then not only perform better than expected but also be a leader in the locker room.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST