PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

New England in the news

Status
Not open for further replies.
Justise Hairston synopses:
http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=/cfoot2/news/AGN4076369.htm
Justise Hairston, RB, Central Connecticut State (6-2, 220) 6th Round, 208th pick, New England Patriots

Hairston put up eye-popping numbers in his lone season with the Blue Devils, and that helped him earn a spot with the nearby Patriots. Hairston led all FCS running backs with 167.9 rushing yards per game and 6.7 yards per carry, and led all non-playoff backs with 20 rushing touchdowns. Hairston, a transfer from Rutgers, was an All-American and Walter Payton Award finalist in 2006. He probably won’t see the ball very often with Laurence Maroney entrenched in the New England backfield, but Hairston should have an opportunity to earn a spot on the RB depth chart now that Corey Dillon is out of the picture.
http://www.journalinquirer.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=18279533&BRD=985&PAG=461&dept_id=569446&rfi=6
The New Britain native was selected in the sixth round, 208th overall, by the New England Patriots on Sunday afternoon, completing an unlikely journey from third string running back to NFL player.
"I just kept going and always believed in myself," Hairston said on Sunday. "(Going to CCSU) meant everything and I kept dreaming the dream. Now it has come true."
Hairston fell off a lot of NFL team's radar screens at Rutgers after he was dropped to third string behind fullback Brian Leonard, taken in the second round by the Rams on Saturday, and Heisman Trophy hopeful Ray Rice.
-----
His pro day at Yale University earlier this month vaulted him back onto the charts. He bench pressed 225 pounds 22 times and had a vertical leap of 39 inches, which is the best vertical leap of any running back at the combine. He also showed speed with a 4.47 time in the 40 yard dash.
-----
But it was the Patriots, whose vice-president of player personnel Scott Pioli is a CCSU alumnus, who took a chance on the 6-foot-1, 210-pound Hairston.
Hairston is projected as a workhorse type running back and will be expected to provide depth at running back with the retirement of Cory Dillon. Laurence Maronney is the Patriots' feature back, while Kevin Faulk is used on third downs. Hairston is a big power back and a physical runner but knows his place.
"They have the premier guy and the third-down back," Hairston said. "I have to come in and be a change of pace type of guy. I also have to go help out on special teams."
Hairston doesn't have to look far for advice on what Patriots training camp is like. He has spent the last two months working out with former New Britain High standout and Patriots' safety Tebucky Jones and had dinner with him on Saturday night.
Hairston knows that he is going to have to earn his way onto the roster and that sits well with him.

Last edited:
Clint Oldenburg
http://www.kktv.com/sports/headlines/7256646.html
Colorado State University offensive tackle Clint Oldenburg became the 51st player during football coach Sonny Lubick's tenure in Fort Collins to be either drafted or sign an NFL free agent contract when he was chosen in the fifth round Sunday by the New England Patriots.

Oldenburg, a 6'5", 300-pound native of Gillette, Wyo., was excited to be chosen.

"It's been quite an exciting day," said Oldenburg following his selection.

Oldenburg was a three-year starter in the offensive line for the Rams, starting 34 games in a row since 2004.

He was an honorable mention All-Mountain West Conference pick in both 2005 and '06. He was also a three-time Academic All-Conference selection and earned his degree in Technical Journalism last winter.

From the San Diego chat transcript- - - BobFromJamul writes:

Do you think that the Chargers dominance has forced the hands of the Pats & Broncos to make moves for personnel that they normally might have shied away from in order to remain competitive?

Are you kidding me? WHAT Charger dominance is he referring to? Their loss in the playoffs or their multiple AFC Championships or Super Bowl championships? I am confused...

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back