PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

New England at Denver AFCCG pre game thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The run, the run, the run. IMO, we need to do a better job of stuffing the run. Really, that's one of the few things that concerns me.

Why, they beat Denver with Moreno rushing for 225 yards. Teams don't beat the Pastors by a run game.

This team needs to come out and do what carolina did to seattle but on the road. I was disgusted with Logan ryan against the chiefs. He needs to step up. They have to silence that crowd. We don't have a strong d line like the panthers but we have to make manning uncomfortable. Have to rush 4

Long, long-time lurker here (as in years), but first-time post. A few thoughts about the Denver game:

The potential positives:
  1. Improved pass rush protection. The potential for better pass rush protection against Denver than last time: I thought the Pats' O-line looked really solid against Kansas City, and particularly against the KC pass rush (even without Houston). And it wasn't all attributable to Brady's quick releases -- there were times when he had to stay longer in the pocket, and the protection remained very strong. If they can even approximate that type of performance in Denver, we are in business (but I do worry about Ware and Miller being of a different caliber than what we saw from KC).
  2. Edelman effect: wow, what a palpable difference maker he is for our offense -- not just for him, but also opening it up for others. It was so noticeable how comfortable Brady looked in the pocket having that reliable, chain-moving outlet. Imagine if the drops are reduced in Denver . . . . (And I nearly had a full cardiac event when I saw the post immediately after the game about Edelman "needing xrays......") And Kansas City was a very good defense.
  3. General health among players on offense. Overall, our offensive line and skill players look about as together as they have been for the past few months.
  4. Strength of Game plan: spread the defense, pass, and forget about the run. Normally I get a bit irritated at how quickly Josh abandons the run and how one-dimensional and predictable we can get as an offense, particularly against a great pass rushing team that can tee off on the rush on every snap. But Saturday it obviously worked and it might just be effective against Denver -- although they feel like a different caliber pass rushing team and obviously run a different scheme, both KC and Denver share the general features of being strong pass rushing defense with very solid corner play. In theory, a similar game plan might be effective in Denver. Maybe mix in some draws or other misdirection, late-developing runs that take advantage of the Miller and others getting so far upfield on the edges? In any event, to some extent, maybe we are better off acknowledging that we simply cannot run effectively against Denver's front, and eliminate the Jackson 1-2 yard plays until later in the game, when the defense may be more gassed? Not ideal, but I think a "balanced" game plan actually does not play to our advantage here.
  5. Denver's offense looks weak. There was a sharp contrast between how crisp New England's offense mostly looked against a superior defense, like KC, and how shaky Denver's offense looked against a mediocre passing defense, like Pittsburgh. I still wouldn't discount Manning and some of his passing weapons, plus that zone running scheme that seems to give us fits (Shazier was a stud on the cutback lanes last night). But I think our defense matches us as well against what I saw last night (assuming Collins is back).
  6. Chris Harris may be limited. That could be huge for us.

The potential negatives:

1. Denver pass rush. Yeah, I know they were largely absent last night, but they sure showed up in some choice moments. Moreover, Pittsburgh effectively ran the ball and was less one-dimensional than we are likely to be. Although hopeful after seeing what our line did against KC, this still remains my number one concern going into this game - Miller and Ware can wreck games single-handedly.
  2. Denver corners and press-man coverage. For some reason, KC gave big cushions to our receivers off the line. I don't see Denver repeating that mistake. I see them in heavy man, press coverage to disrupt that 2-second Brady release and give that extra second for the pass rush to get there. If Harris can go, they certainly have the cornerback quality to play very tight coverage and get a good pass rush from front-four.
  3. Our injuries. We need Collins back, simple as that. I would take him over Chandler in a heartbeat - pass rush is overrated against Manning. Coverage and disrupting timing are more important, and Collins is the key cog for disrupting all the shallow crossing routes / running back outlet stuff that is Manning's bread and butter. Shut off the middle of the field, and we get into wobbly, watermelon throws to the outside.
  4. Stopping the zone runs. Again, goes back to Collins, although Mayo is good for this as well. Need to keep them in 3rd and longs -- they looked terrible executing 3rd down pass plays yesterday against a relatively medicore pass defense.
So, at the end of the road, I think it's a tight game, 24-21 -ish, with Patriots prevailing. I think Denver's defense is just too stout to allow for a blow-out. The difference maker is whether we can defend the way Pittsburgh did yesterday -- if we can, I definitely see us outscoring Denver's offense.

You need to cut that down by about 3,000 words, you are taking up patfankens bandwidth.

My prediction: If Clete Blakeman is the referee, we will lose. Otherwise we will win.
Second prediction: Clete Blakeman will be the referee.

Won't we get the 1st or 2nd "best crew" because it is an AFCCG?
I'll take the greek guy who seems to like TB12.

Why, they beat Denver with Moreno rushing for 225 yards. Teams don't beat the Pastors by a run game.

Agreed, it's just probably my biggest concern on the defensive side. Long drives, no being able to get off the field on 3rd down could be a factor

stopping the run is obviously the key. Put the forehead in 3rd and longs. Constant 3rd and 4 yards to go and he will most likely be able to pick up a high %.

Honestly, were I Wade Phillips, I would start off by sticking Roby on Edelman and giving him some safety help. If they start with Harris on Edelman, it's a win for New England. Chris Harris cannot cover Edelman. He's been ***** made time and again in that match-up. Roby has short area quickness and may be the better match-up in space. I'd have Talib shadow Gronk and bracket him ala Jimmy Graham in 2013 and stick Harris on either Lafell or Amendola. That said, the quick passing game is going to be the key in this one as well. The Broncos CB's are tailor made for downfield passing attacks but struggle in space. The Patriots will need to get an early lead in this one and keep their defense off the field to avoid them getting gassed by the fourth quarter.

Per rapaport, Omar bolden out for the season with a PCL tear

This team needs to come out and do what carolina did to seattle but on the road. I was disgusted with Logan ryan against the chiefs. He needs to step up. They have to silence that crowd. We don't have a strong d line like the panthers but we have to make manning uncomfortable. Have to rush 4

PP,

I agree with you about Ryan...he was horrible on Saturday and needs to step up. Going to be interesting to see who he covers this week. I'm not sure if it's better to put him on Sanders or Thomas, either way, with a non mobile qb like Manning, I hope our DL can get some pressure on him.

How can anyone think Peyton played good yesterday in any facet? Sigh.
Mark Schlereth used to play for the Broncos. Same reason Shannon Sharpe thought he looked good.

One thing I do know, I will be watching this game on mute. I cant stand the announcers, I can't stand in-com-plete, that stupid ****ing horse or OMAHA for that matter. I wish I lived in NE so I could just do the local radio broadcast.....

I just don't see anyone on their defense who can stop Gronk or Edelman. Especially with Harris Jr. Being limited. I'm confident.

Just came through - - this is significant:

Ian Rapoport ✔ @RapSheet
Depth takes a hit RT @MikeKlis: Broncos have lost returner Omar Bolden for season, per sources. Partial PCL tear. No surgery. #9sports

From a quick look, Bolden is a 5th year Bronco 3rd safety - - sort of looks to be in the Duron Harmon mold, however is used often as a KR/PR and is pretty damn good at that.

This could be one of those under the radar personnel losses that could be a key.

Makes it easier for Brady in a spread offense, especially with Harris looking increasingly compromised.

Summation - - the Broncos strength now is clearly that awesome pass rush - - and their weakness (on D) is that compromised secondary. Even more incumbent (and possible) on Brady to get the throws out with 2 seconds.

One thing I do know, I will be watching this game on mute. I cant stand the announcers, I can't stand in-com-plete, that stupid ****ing horse or OMAHA for that matter. I wish I lived in NE so I could just do the local radio broadcast.....

I think I do a good job of not taking the announcers too seriously. I never actually get mad at anything they say. Most of the time I miss alot of things they say that pats fans get mad at. I guess I'm just so tuned in to the actual game I miss or ignore certain things said on air. Or I just don't care or think what they say is bad enough to get mad at.

I think I do a good job of not taking the announcers too seriously. I never actually get mad at anything they say. Most of the time I miss alot of things they say that pats fans get mad at. I guess I'm just so tuned in to the actual game I miss or ignore certain things said on air. Or I just don't care or think what they say is bad enough to get mad at.
well, not sure how you ignore what is actually being said when it is mostly during replays

No ****..I agree...I have tickets to the game if I want, but I have anger issues and those fans suck so Ill stay home.

Buddy of mine is a Steelers fan and the entire game yesterday some trailer trash lady was hanging her pom poms in his face so he couldn't see the game...Id be in jail, he's too nice. He politely asked her a few times to stop but she wouldnt...Id have dropped her.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back