PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NEW ARTICLE: MORSE: Tag Jackson? Combine Notes and Nancy Meier

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
MORSE: Tag Jackson? Combine Notes and Nancy Meier
Mark Morse
If you had asked me two weeks ago if the Patriots should apply the Franchise Tag to JC Jackson I would have said a resounding yes. However, over the past two weeks, I have looked at the possibility that Jackson won’t be tagged.

The post MORSE: Tag Jackson? Combine Notes and Nancy Meier appeared first on PatsFans.com.

Continue reading...

(If you enjoyed this entry - hit the Thumbs Up/If not, hit the Thumbs down in this thread)

"If Carlton Davis gets the Franchise Tag then Jackson becomes the top-ranked Man Coverage DB in Free Agency."

Regardless of whether Davis is Franchised or not, Davis is not in the same universe as Jackson. In fact, Davis is pretty awful.

"For all the good that Jackson has done for the Patriots, they still got shredded by Buffalo’s Josh Allen. Jackson had Stefon Diggs in one-on-one coverage several times and got burnt consistently."

Many fans don't remember Ty Law had a stretch of getting shredded by almost every WR in the AFC East between 1998-2000.

"They may just grant Jackson what he wants and that is Free Agency without the burden of the Franchise tag."

This could be the same situation as Josh Norman in 2016. Panthers rescinded the tag after realizing a deal with him wasn't realistic. I'd prefer the Pats tag and quickly find a trade partner.

Mr INT MUST be retained By Any Means Necessary, including the Franchise tag...
If he isn't, then there will be fewer WINs for the NEP in 2022... Book it.

After trading down and out of Round 1 multiple times, I would be all over either of the two UWash CBs with my first pick wherever that ends up being... CB MUST be addressed by the end of Day 2; and that's AFTER retaining Mr INT for At Least the up-coming season...

I'll also be drafting a LT by no later than my first pick of Day 3... If Dare Rosenthal checks the physical & athletic boxes, then his weed issue will mean nothing to me... obviously...

And I also like Decobie Durant starting in the 5th/6th round as a possible Jonathan Jones understudy/replacement.

I think it would be a horrible use of an asset if he's just allowed to walk.

Also wanted to add that maybe Bill should've been paying more attention to Nancy and less to Nike & Little Nicky...

This could be the same situation as Josh Norman in 2016. Panthers rescinded the tag after realizing a deal with him wasn't realistic. I'd prefer the Pats tag and quickly find a trade partner.
Which teams are lining up to trade for Jackson?

After trading down and out of Round 1 multiple times, I would be all over either of the two UWash CBs with my first pick wherever that ends up being... CB MUST be addressed by the end of Day 2; and that's AFTER retaining Mr INT for At Least the up-coming season...

I'll also be drafting a LT by no later than my first pick of Day 3... If Dare Rosenthal checks the physical & athletic boxes, then his weed issue will mean nothing to me... obviously...

And I also like Decobie Durant starting in the 5th/6th round as a possible Jonathan Jones understudy/replacement.
ALTERNATIVE 1: $17M in cap room for Jackson
ALTERNATIVE 2: THREE high level free agents

CONTRACTS ($6M, $6M, $5M 2022 Cap Room)
3 yrs/$57M, 3yrs/$57M, 3 yr $54M
$15M Bonus for 2, $12M for third player
$1M 2022 Salary
$20M 2023 Salary Guaranteed (could be more or less)
$21M 2024 Salary Partly Guaranteed (could be more or less)
TBD incentives

Which teams are lining up to trade for Jackson?
Philadelphia is loaded with picks Three First Rounders plus others and they finished second in the NFC East. Dallas have a good QB coupled with some very good WR's gotta stop those guys a very good CB is necessary.

Last edited:
I can... Because in the end I know we're gonna get shafted.
In what way?

We have a player whose contract is finished.

The team can have his services for another year at $17M, with the possibility of trading him after Jackson signs.

The team could try to work with Jackson's lawyer and allow him to negotiate a deal with other teams. [I don't expect that this would happen until after the first couple of weeks of free agency, if at all). I SUSPECT that Jackson is willing to play for $17M this year, with the idea of cashing in next year when the cap is higher. It is hard to believe that any team would offer him the same money without a pick as they would having to give up a 2nd.

ALTERNATIVE 1: $17M in cap room for Jackson
ALTERNATIVE 2: THREE high level free agents

CONTRACTS ($6M, $6M, $5M 2022 Cap Room)
3 yrs/$57M, 3yrs/$57M, 3 yr $54M
$15M Bonus for 2, $12M for third player
$1M 2022 Salary
$20M 2023 Salary Guaranteed (could be more or less)
$21M 2024 Salary Partly Guaranteed (could be more or less)
TBD incentives

Ya gotta pay somebody, and I'd rather pay somebody like Mr INT (& Joe Thuney) who doesn't suck, as opposed to somebody like Godsmack (among others), who does...

In what way?

We have a player whose contract is finished.

The team can have his services for another year at $17M, with the possibility of trading him after Jackson signs.

The team could try to work with Jackson's lawyer and allow him to negotiate a deal with other teams. [I don't expect that this would happen until after the first couple of weeks of free agency, if at all). I SUSPECT that Jackson is willing to play for $17M this year, with the idea of cashing in next year when the cap is higher. It is hard to believe that any team would offer him the same money without a pick as they would having to give up a 2nd.

I'm fine with franchising him... I fear that Billy won't however...

Ya gotta pay somebody, and I'd rather pay somebody like Mr INT (& Joe Thuney) who doesn't suck, as opposed to somebody like Godsmack (among others), who does...
Those bad Drafts that you have more than criticized have finally come back to haunt them Coach cap. Brady ain't here to cover up those glaring mistakes anymore from now on you reap who you draft. I mentioned this already but we need to start Drafting football players. What does Harry and Slow-Quan have in common?? Three years in the league and ESPN is still showing their College highlight reels geesh. :rolleyes: As someone else mention Eloquent Speaking in interviews doesn't cut it on the Football field BB. :rolleyes:

I'm fine with franchising him... I fear that Billy won't however...
If we don't franchise Jackson, we have $17M to use on 3 top free agents.
So, your point is that there are ZERO free agents that we should want. We can get THREE at contracts of $19M AAV and $18M AAV.

If Jackson is better than having THREE top free agents, then Bill will surely franchise him

If we don't franchise Jackson, we have $17M to use on 3 top free agents.

So, your point is that there are ZERO free agents that we should want. We can get THREE at contracts of $19M AAV and $18M AAV.

If Jackson is better than having THREE top free agents, then Bill will surely franchise him

We all know that Billy will blow that extra $17M outta his azz if it isn't spent on Mr INT.

Philadelphia is loaded with picks Three First Rounders plus others and they finished second in the NFC East. Dallas have a good QB coupled with some very good WR's gotta stop those guys a very good CB is necessary.
Philly wouldn't work because they are already paying Slay big money.
Godsmack needs to go. Horrible signing.

MR INT. ..GET REAL, Go look, most were ******** INTS...Good CB? ABSOLUTELY, #1 COVER CORNER? NO, NOT AT ALL.
GODSMACK as some call him, was a bit better than haters say he was, especially later... he's not getting big$ guys.
I still want a BEAST NT AT 21.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back