PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Neal to IR

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that the Pats knew Neal was hurt and made the call for Mankins to come back, money says in the next few weeks they announce that they have re-signed Mankins to a long term deal. The timing is just delayed so niether side can claim a "victory".

Losing Neal hurts, he is clearly better than Connelly. Connelly is an excellent back up/fullback. The Pats really need to re-sign Mankins going forward, because nobody want to enter next year having to break in two new starting guards. Sign Mankins, use the draft to get Pouncey or Wosihoweveruspell it from Penn St.

I think that the Pats knew Neal was hurt and made the call for Mankins to come back, money says in the next few weeks they announce that they have re-signed Mankins to a long term deal. The timing is just delayed so niether side can claim a "victory".

Losing Neal hurts, he is clearly better than Connelly. Connelly is an excellent back up/fullback. The Pats really need to re-sign Mankins going forward, because nobody want to enter next year having to break in two new starting guards. Sign Mankins, use the draft to get Pouncey or Wosihoweveruspell it from Penn St.

Pouncey at RG is full of win.

For a "project" lineman who never played a down in college, Stephen Neal can hold his head up high - - he built himself a very nice career in the NFL and has a couple of rings to show for it. Uncle Dante can be thanked also for turning this raw talent into a polished O lineman.

Well said .............................. :eat3:

Last edited:
This sucks.. It definitely puts a higher premium on getting Mankins signed. It also puts OG as a higher premium in the upcoming draft. That is, of course, unless the Pats feel that Kaczur/Connolly are better than anything coming in the draft.

This sucks.. It definitely puts a higher premium on getting Mankins signed. It also puts OG as a higher premium in the upcoming draft. That is, of course, unless the Pats feel that Kaczur/Connolly are better than anything coming in the draft.

Even then, draft developmental and for depth. Kaczur is not the picture of health either.

Connolly has been run blocking just great. Now there is no room for further injury though.

I think, especially with this news, we'll find a pretty high percentage of people looking at the 6 picks in the first three rounds and thinking:

DE
OLB
G
RB
WR

in some order, with some variation regarding that 6th selection.

Disappointing to say the least. Boy, do we get nailed with injuries or what?

Neal was an accident waiting to happen. Good player, but he plays a tough
position and it seems his bod isn't up to it. I can't remember the last year
he played a whole season without missing some game time.

Darn, that could be it career wise for him.......good thing Connolly has been playing well.

Never good to lose a player like this, but this shows how Mankins' holdout was a blessing in disguise. By holding out, Connelly got valuable experience, which will come in very handy now. And by coming back, all 5 offensive line positions are filled with capable people.

So...eh.....Thanks Logan!!

I think, especially with this news, we'll find a pretty high percentage of people looking at the 6 picks in the first three rounds and thinking:

DE
OLB
G
RB
WR

in some order, with some variation regarding that 6th selection.
I speculate that defensive line will not be a priority next season. With regard to the first six picks in the first three rounds, the following positions should be prioritized:

OLB
OLB
OG
OT
RB
CB

Will it ever end? I say will it?

I speculate that defensive line will not be a priority next season. With regard to the first six picks in the first three rounds, the following positions should be prioritized:

OLB
OLB
OG
OT
RB
CB

Why would you draft 2 at OLB?

Last edited:
Looking forward to seeing Neal in the octagon in a few years

Patriots should move on, he's like Bob Sanders very good when he plays but thats the problem, he hardly ever plays...

Why would you draft 2 at OLB? That's a poor use of limited drafting resources.
I guess you are happy with Banta-Cain and Ninkovich this season? Also, Pierre Woods is the fourth outside linebacker on the New England Patriots roster.

I guess you are happy with Banta-Cain and Ninkovich this season? Also, Pierre Woods is the fourth outside linebacker on the New England Patriots roster.

It seems to me as if you're ignoring Cunningham as a starter.

Do we still have Ojinnaka on the PS? (or something like that name)

Ojinnaka sounds like a Warrior's name....good name for an OL

Last edited:
It seems to me as if you're ignoring Cunningham as a starter.
It's called depth. Jermaine Cunningham and three substandard starters man the outside linebacker position. Belichick signed Colvin in free agency prior to the start of the 2003 NFL season while Vrabel and McGinest were already on the New England Patriots roster.

It's called depth. Jermaine Cunningham and three substandard starters man the outside linebacker position. Belichick signed Colvin in free agency prior to the start of the 2003 NFL season while Vrabel and McGinest were already on the New England Patriots roster.

If you spend a high draft pick on an OLB, you're looking at him to start at some point next year. That gives you your two starters and your backups.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes