PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Myth Busted: CBA is No Magic Wand for Roger Goodell

Status
Not open for further replies.

nowayback

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
"Is there a long-standing tradition of not over-turning arbitration decisions? Yes, of course. But there's a far more relevant recent tradition of rejecting the NFL's arguments of unimpeachable powers under the Article 46 of their collective bargaining agreement. That's infinitely more relevant to this case than some generalization about labor law cases - most of which have squat to do with this one. "

"Goodell acknowledges NFL's notice requirement in defense of his policy change in the Peterson case. It's almost too easy with this guy..."

http://www.footballbyfootball.com/column/myth-busted-cba-is-no-magic-wand-for-roger-goodell

Could Matt still contribute on special teams ? ;)

I used to be able to discuss the finer nuances regarding the game of football on this site, but now I have to go back and reconsider law school just to understand WTF is going on.

This is what it has come to.

"Article 46" sounds like the title of some catch all law that results in mass imprisonment in Russia..

Matt Chatham is the man..

I used to be able to discuss the finer nuances regarding the game of football on this site, but now I have to go back and reconsider law school just to understand WTF is going on.

This is what it has come to.
We are turning into Renaissance Men. We knew about the football but now we are learning ( and sharing) physics and chemistry and the Ideal Gas Law and now we are learning about the law and arbitration,appeals, standing, ripeness, precedent, collective bargaining, injunctions, etc........
I can't even imagine what's next....signing a foreign player so we have to learn to speak another language to understand him????

We are turning into Renaissance Men. We knew about the football but now we are learning ( and sharing) physics and chemistry and the Ideal Gas Law and now we are learning about the law and arbitration,appeals, standing, ripeness, precedent, collective bargaining, injunctions, etc........
I can't even imagine what's next....signing a foreign player so we have to learn to speak another language to understand him????

You would think that kinda fancy learning would be a requirement to work for the NFL. o_O

Outstanding article. Thanks for sharing.

now we are learning about the law and arbitration,appeals, standing, ripeness, precedent, collective bargaining, injunctions, etc........

Shame on you for leaving out collateral estoppel!!!
smiley26.gif

tumblr_njoamfwvuq1rqnisuo9_400-queen-senator-mother-hero-in-defense-of-padme-amidala-gif-267841.jpg

I hope he is right. It is hard to say what will happen, especially without a deep understanding of labor law and the arguments each side is making.

The thing is that the NFL has nothing to lose by insisting on 4 games. If the Judge overturns...oh well, they tried their best. Brady on the other hand has a lot to lose if the Judge upholds the suspension.

Funny, I heard on both stations this morning that the CBA was a magic wand and Brady has no case because the NFLPA bargained away the rights to a fair hearing. Granted one of the people arguing it was Chris Russo who hasn't read a single thing like the Wells Report, the appeal transcripts, or the NFL or NFLPA filings. The other guys were Toucher and Rich who I don't think have read much more.

Last edited:
You would think that kinda fancy learning would be a requirement to work for the NFL. o_O

Actually, I don't think it should be. The football operations people should be experts in football and not IGL and disciplinary procedure. Therein lies the issue with all this mess. We have a bunch of people that aren't experts in either playing at both. Its a cluster of the highest order.

Funny, I heard on both stations this morning that the CBA was a magic wand and Brady has no case because the NFLPA bargained away the rights to a fair hearing. Granted one of the people arguing it was Chris Russo who hasn't read a single thing like the Wells Report, the appeal transcripts, or the NFL or NFLPA filings.

Mad Dog can read now?

I hope he is right. It is hard to say what will happen, especially without a deep understanding of labor law and the arguments each side is making.

The thing is that the NFL has nothing to lose by insisting on 4 games. If the Judge overturns...oh well, they tried their best. Brady on the other hand has a lot to lose if the Judge upholds the suspension.

I think we all have a lot to lose. If employers can demand the private cell phone of employees, that's another nail in the coffin of privacy.

Wow, two Star Wars references in one thread page. It's my lucky day!

I think we all have a lot to lose. If employers can demand the private cell phone of employees, that's another nail in the coffin of privacy.

Well, employers can ask you to do a lot of things and if you want to work for them, you will have to comply.

Last edited:
Funny, I heard on both stations this morning that the CBA was a magic wand and Brady has no case because the NFLPA bargained away the rights to a fair hearing. Granted one of the people arguing it was Chris Russo who hasn't read a single thing like the Wells Report, the appeal transcripts, or the NFL or NFLPA filings. The other guys were Toucher and Rich who I don't think have read much more.
What a lot of these morons like Tanguay don't understand is Goodell can be the arbitrator of his own ruling, what he can't be is biased and do whatever he wants and not follow labor laws like law of the shop.

Well, who could possibly question the sound legal opinion of "the mad dog"?:rolleyes:

Actually, I don't think it should be. The football operations people should be experts in football and not IGL and disciplinary procedure. Therein lies the issue with all this mess. We have a bunch of people that aren't experts in either playing at both. Its a cluster of the highest order.

http://nesn.com/2015/08/patriots-president-jonathan-kraft-talks-math-and-science-in-speech-video/
At Pats HOF, little dig by Jonathan Kraft: Says there may not be "a full appreciation of how important math and science are in football."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Back