PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My potential #2 receiver?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoodie

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
from Ben Maller http://www.benmaller.com/

If the Broncos want to mend fences with wide receiver Ashley Lelie, he says no offense, but he's not interested. "Me coming back is definitely out of the question at this point with me being the No. 3 receiver," Lelie said Monday night from Arizona. "There's nothing to mend. There's no solution. ... Let me go somewhere where I can compete." At this point, Lelie - who has forgone Denver's entire offseason workout program - knows there are three possibilities for him: be traded, show up for training camp in late July or hold out for the entire season.

I don't know. He hasn't performed up to expectations in denver, and I'd hate to see Jackson's development stunted by having another guy ahead of him. Does anyone think Chad will be able to step in as the #2 this season?

Pats_Fan_In_Illinois said:
I don't know. He hasn't performed up to expectations in denver, and I'd hate to see Jackson's development stunted by having another guy ahead of him. Does anyone think Chad will be able to step in as the #2 this season?

No. But neither will Lelie. IMO it's going to be Caldwell, and if he fails, Brown.

No way on Lelie, there is a reason he fell out of favor with a team that likes collecting turds to try and turn them around, He's Lazy! We don't need 2 Bethel's.

I hope it doesn't come down to Brown. I love the guy but he should be a possesion option underneath primarily on third downs. I hope Caldwell and Jackson play up to their potential, if they do that then we are fine.

Brown cannot be the #2 guy anymore. He's lost too much quickness. He's Keyshawn without the height.

With as high as BB appears to be on Chad Jackson, I'm hopeful that he'll be able to be a starter at least by about week 6 or so. He has GREAT hands, very good speed, runs good routes, and seems to have a good understanding of the game.

big mike said:
With as high as BB appears to be on Chad Jackson, I'm hopeful that he'll be able to be a starter at least by about week 6 or so. He has GREAT hands, very good speed, runs good routes, and seems to have a good understanding of the game.

His routes, particularly noticeable at the combine, where there weren't even defenders, were not good at all. To me, he looks like he needs a lot of work. I'm high on Jackson, but I'm not expecting anything above 30 catches or so this season. I would love to be pleasantly surprised.

dryheat44 said:
His routes, particularly noticeable at the combine, where there weren't even defenders, were not good at all. To me, he looks like he needs a lot of work. I'm high on Jackson, but I'm not expecting anything above 30 catches or so this season. I would love to be pleasantly surprised.

When NFL network was re-airing the combine one of the few I didn't watch was WR/TE's just because I figured the Pats weren't going to draft one of them early. I knew WR was a need but I felt that Holmes and Jackson would be gone by the time we picked at 21 and my understanding was that it was quite a drop after those two. So I figured we would get one in either round 3 or on day 2. Shows you WTF I know :D .

dryheat44 said:

That's odd, in his draft profile they say his routes are pretty crisp.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2006/jackson_chad

Jackson is an extremely efficient receiver, who runs very sharp routes -- he consistently gets out of his cuts quickly and gets separation. He sells his fakes well, and he can turn defensive backs around. He consistently gets started upfield quickly after the catch, can make tacklers miss , and keeps his feet vs. hard hits -- he runs hard and gains yards after contact. He has excellent hands -- he does a really good job of reaching out with his hands to pluck the ball away from his body. He can contort his body to adjust and make great catches on off-target passes. He is a solid punt returner who will always get positive yards.

Jackson will be spoon fed the offense from day one. He'll receive more tutoring and instruction than all other WR's put together. He'll have to read his keys correct 100% of the time in preseason in order to start. The chances of that are slim.
Best guess is Jackson starts the season as the 3rd or 4th and works his way up topart of a rotation at #2 by season end.

A real wild card remains the status of Bethel. Will he fight his way out of the BB dog house, or will he refuse to grow up and continue to waste his considerable talents.

Jackson #2 receiver this year? Please, get a clue.... The answer is No.
25-30 catches tops! Caldwell will be the #2 easily. Chad Jackson is a rookie and he has a long, long, looooong way to go to be #2. Let's set some reasonable expectations here....... Gracious!

I hope Jackson is the #2 this year it would mean he is going to be very special. IMO Branch was the #2 his rookie year, so it is possible.

I will be interested to see if Childress can displace B Johnson in the lineup. Bam reminds me of the young T Brown, I would like to see him stick around next year when Troy retires.

Feep_FLA said:
Jackson #2 receiver this year? Please, get a clue.... The answer is No.
25-30 catches tops! Caldwell will be the #2 easily. Chad Jackson is a rookie and he has a long, long, looooong way to go to be #2. Let's set some reasonable expectations here....... Gracious!

Deion Branch had 43 receptions and 489 yds. his rookie season. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect some good things out of the rookie.

huskeralk said:
Deion Branch had 43 receptions and 489 yds. his rookie season. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect some good things out of the rookie.
Branch started 7 games his first year.

It's interesting to reflect that Jackson said in interviews that the Patriots gave him a number of offensive plays and then later quizzed him to see how well he remembered what he had been told.

I rather think that if he picks up the offense quickly enough in TC and preseason, that we'll see him start some games - even possibly most games. Just have to watch and see. But I think you can figure that Belichick and crew expect to have a very high second round pick be at least a 50% probability to start.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes