PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My Patriots Big Board v1.0

manxman2601

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
I've been working through this today but I still have question marks (do we draft a TE? What's with the interest in day three WRs? etc) and there are still people/positions I need to watch or haven't got a grip on (Jordan Leggett, almost all the RBs). So what I'm saying, is that there will be a version 2.0, particularly after we've got more idea of the visits and when we get the pro day updates on NFL Draft Scout.

I've ranked the board by round I'd draft them but haven't ranked them within each tier yet.

The prospects I've bolded are the ones I really like, think are excellent fits or are likely to be drafted by the Pats. These would be the prospects I'd prioritise in any mock.

Fallers

These are prospects that I hope might fall to no. 72. These are prospects that will be good starters or significant contributors by 2018.

Tarrell Basham, EDGE, Ohio
Jordan Willis, EDGE, Kansas St.

Desmond King, CB/S, Iowa
DeMarcus Walker, DL, FSU
Akhello Witherspoon, CB, Colorado
Sidney Jones, CB, Washington
Chidobe Awuzie, CB, Colorado
Raekwon McMillan, LB, Ohio State

Round Three

Either quality depth in year one and better than average starters in time or prospects with significant athletic or physical upside.

Daeshon Hall, EDGE, Texas A&M
Tanoh Kpassagnon, DL, Villanova
Julie'n Davenport, OT, Bucknell - This 'grade' is driven by the shortage of OTs in the draft.
Delano Hill, S, Michigan - May be higher than most but I like the fit and think he can contribute early.

Round Four

Can start in time but might be replaceable. You can win with these prospects but might not need them to win.

George Kittle, TE, Iowa
Alex Anzalone, LB, Florida
Jake Butt, TE, Michigan
Vince Biegel, LB, Wisconsin
Harvey Langi, LB, BYU - I don't love his tape but the links to the Pats have driven him up my board.
Cameron Sutton, CB, Tennessee
Corn Elder, CB, Miami
Howard Wilson, CB, Houston
Deatrich Wise, EDGE, Arkansas
Ryan Anderson, LB, Alabama
Amara Darboh, WR, Michigan
Dalvin Tomlinson, DT, Alabama
Kareem Hunt, RB, Toledo

Round Five

The better depth prospects or prospects that you might not envisage being starters but have athletic upside

Jeremy Sprinkle, TE, Arkansas
Shaquill Griffin, CB, UCF
Anthony Walker Jnr, LB, Northwestern
Mack Hollins, WR, UNC
Ryan Switzer, WR, UNC
Robert Davis, WR, Georgia State
Sam Tevi, OL, Utah
Kendell Beckwith, LB, LSU

Round Six

Worth drafting but they'll have a challenge to make the final roster.

James Onwualu, LB, Notre Dame
Jalen Reeves-Maybin, LB, Tennessee
Keionta Davis, EDGE, Chattanooga
Bryan Cox Jnr, EDGE, Florida
Francis Owusu, WR, Stanford
Quincy Adeboyego, WR, Ole Miss
Brandon Wilson, CB, Houston
Leon McQuay III, CB/S, USC
De'Veon Smith, RB, Michigan

Round Seven/UDFA

These are probably Practice Squad guys.

Kai Nacua, S, BYU
Richie Brown, LB, Miss St.
Brooks Ellis, LB, Arkansas
Drew Morgan, WR, Arkansas
Brad Seaton, OT, Villanova
Jehu Chesson, WR, Michigan
Max Rich, OT, Harvard
Jack Tocho, CB, NC State

I have a fairly similar list that I'm working on. I'd love to see a vertical and horizontal version, btw.

I'll probably do a more in-depth board with v2.0.

BTW. Don't sleep on Leon McQuay. Wasn't able to test because of a hamstring injury but he plays outside CB, slot CB and safety. But his instincts at nickel are what impress me the most. He's also 6'1" and has 32" arms.

One of my draft twitter follows really likes him:

I just love the play at 1:32 in his highlights.

It seems as a forum most of us are hoping BB drafts one of Basham, Willis, Hall, or Kpassagnon. Hopefully BB delivers. Witherspoon is impressive but I don't see a starting spot outside opening anytime soon with Gilmore/Rowe. He's approaching binky status.

McQuay seems like a discounted version of King/Awuzie. Nice find I need to watch more.

It seems as a forum most of us are hoping BB drafts one of Basham, Willis, Hall, or Kpassagnon. Hopefully BB delivers. Witherspoon is impressive but I don't see a starting spot outside opening anytime soon with Gilmore/Rowe. He's approaching binky status.

McQuay seems like a discounted version of King/Awuzie. Nice find I need to watch more.

Only two games on DB from 2014 and 2015. Doesn't look to have the range to play FS and I didn't see enough to judge him at outside CB but I just loved his instincts at nickel, whether that be CB or safety.

I think most realize that Kpassagnon is highly flawed, but keep adding them to their lists so they don't have to deal with my wrath.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back