Welcome to PatsFans.com

My opinion of Peter King has changed

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by rhodeislandpatsfan, May 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rhodeislandpatsfan

rhodeislandpatsfan Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

First I am as sensitive to spygate stuff as everyone else and thought he was rough times but on a whole he seemed to be prepared and ask balanced questions for stories he comments on. This morning on Sirius NFL radio channel that changed. He was talking about spygate and specifically Andrea Kramers upcoming interview w/ the assistant golf pro from Hawaii, when he broke the news that according to Walsh the Pats were able to guess correctly 75% of the opponents d plays w/ the help from the tapes. Well this info sent King of on a tangent saying how much bigger this story should be because 75% is such a shocking number what an advantage no wonder the Pats win so much. He was selling it pretty hard and had myself rethinking the magnitude of this until he asked former player Randy Cross if he could imagine how well his teams would have done if they knew 75% of their opponents and Cross without hesitation said he was surprised that it was only 75% because of w/ all of the scouting 75% is barely average every team knows what the other team team is doing and most games are determined by a handful of plays, he was brilliant. What got me upset was Peter King's reaction Cross, he agreed w/ him and said that he made sense, why would that upset me you ask? The is because Peter King is supposed be a professional journalist specializing in NFL this not only should not been a revelation to him but this should have been his follow up question instead exploiting the 75% number because it sounds enormous to the uninformed, and mark my words after HBO's "REAL SPORTS" airs this will be the number that will be sensationalized w/out the benefit of Randy Cross's rebuttal.

Last edited: May 16, 2008
  2. Sean Pa Patriot

Sean Pa Patriot Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Again, Ive lost a lot of respect of Peter King the last 3 yrs, and find him a total media hack... He feels now with the nfl network, and Adam Schefter he is not the main Nfl guy now, and for him its hard to take.. Plus the Pats have shut him out now....

3. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +522 / 14 / -28

I think PK has sold his soul to the masses, and his once objective reporting has pretty much gone down the crapper.. all he had done is jump on the Bill Bashing bandwagon without regard for the information at hand. He is stuck on the original BB explanation and firmly believes that this could be used in a game.

4. Hawg 73

Hawg 73 On the Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The truth is most of these so called NFL experts are no more knowledgeable of football than the average fan. They deal in rumor gathering and gossip. They don't talk x's and o's with any more expertise than the typical barroom conversation. So we shouldn't be surprised when these hacks are exposed for their limited understanding of how the NFL really works.

5. RayClay

RayClay Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +958 / 7 / -14

#75 Jersey

I always thought King sucked, so there's no change for me.

A cutesy feature writer with some good (but dwindling) sources.

6. RhodyPatriot

RhodyPatriot In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +41 / 19 / -9

Poor Peter: King of the Mediots.
    Still not getting his Patriot calls returned huh? Awww...... :D
    Sure hope Peter: King of the Mediots gets used to it. He's as relevant in Foxborough as John TomasLIE and Sports Tabloid TV (ESPN) is.

7. Metaphors

Metaphors In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

I haven't see the Kramer interview or heard the King interview you reference, but the 75% figure you mention from Walsh has been mentioned before:

This was in the context of a single game, not an overall evaluation of how effective the taping was in general. In fact, the player in question thought that taping a pre-season game with TB allowed them to know 75% of the plays the TB defense ran in a regular season game a few weeks later (which they lost anyway). That player was either drunk or TB was incredibly stupid to expose so much of their gameplan in a pre-season game against a team they were playing again soon after.

If I know this, King has to as well. Stating the facts (75% just for one game that they lost anyway) is boring...making up fantasy that sounds like fact (Pats knew 75% of all their opponents defensive calls due to illegal taping) is much more interesting.

8. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +602 / 16 / -15

#24 Jersey

In addition, the 75% isn't 75% compared to zero, it's 75% (assuming the 75% is accurate minus whatever % they would have known from other analysis, legal tape stealing. I'm guessing the difference between the two numbers isn't very high.

Peter King - yeah, he used to be one of my favorites, now he's just a JAG.

9. SVN

SVN Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +718 / 5 / -5

peter king is on good terms with brady. So if he has the guts he should come out and say that brady is an avg QB who because he knew 75% of what was being done beforehand.
    Plus , Walsh is offering all these football related stories , why is still employed as a golf pro then when tapes from pats games he says he kept for future interviews ?

10. Metaphors

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Exactly. And if your coaching staff did their job (changed signals game-to-game, didn't expose obvious tendencies, etc.) the difference would be exactly 0. There was one tape where a DC signaled in numbers that referenced plays on a wristband (which could be changed game-to-game, half-to-half, series-to-series). Simple solution that makes signal stealing impossible.

Backup QB: Coach, they are calling a "five".

OC: What the hell is a "five"?

Backup QB: Well, last game it was a cover-4.

OC: But it is 3rd and inches and they don't even have 4 DBs on the field!

Backup QB: I don't make up the chart, I just read it.

11. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +602 / 16 / -15

#24 Jersey

We've all seen that NFLN commercial when Matt Hasselbeck explains how a call means one thing the first time and something else the second. Defenses, I'm sure do that too. Interestingly that commercial played while waiting for the Jolly Roger press conference.

Coaches put so much time in each week anyone who things they can't/don't change the signals is a total moron.

12. SVN

SVN Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +718 / 5 / -5

one of the biggest reason we keep hearing all these things is none of the pats players /coaches/mgment go out to all talk radio and defend themselves. not sure if these shows invite them either . jonathan kraft prefers to give interviews to D & C on WEEI who are like backstabbers, than on national media.
    therefore we will get more and more -ve press only. i also think its okay that pats dont go about defending themselves everywhere.
    king is forming an opinion on what walsh says and doesnt believe belichick because belichick doesnt hold a press conference or give one on one on hbo.

13. Jimke

Jimke In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +66 / 4 / -2

Why is the word of a lowly video assistant taken as the gospel truth?

14. Metaphors

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

No, King is taking what Walsh says (even assuming he isn't exaggerating)...

An offensive player told him that tapes of a pre-season game against TB allowed the Pats to know 75% of the defensive play calls against TB a few weeks later in a game that the Pats lost.

...and turned it into a statement that Walsh didn't say but supports his contention that sideline taping is big news:

Walsh was told that the tapes allowed the Pats to know 75% of the defensive play calls of their opponents which resulted in 3 championships.

Big difference.

15. the taildragger

the taildragger Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

PK is exposing his bias here.

Even wannabe journalists realize an obvious axe to grind and could question the credibility of self proclaimed "third video guy" Matty Walsh.

He's not only extremely biased source, but also extremely low level, WHO DID NOT HAVE CONTACT WITH THE HC, THE OC, OR THE QB....yet he can estimate PERCENTAGES of plays! The defense shifts -- AFTER THE MIC SHUTS OFF -- based on what the offense shows!! WAKE UP. If your QB can't read a defense at the LoS -- based on regular film study of tendencies and personal experience -- you have no freaking advantage cracking a code of a team that is too stupid to change their def. signals.

Hes a proven LIAR. Yet PK and Sal Pal take his figures and estimates and pawn them off as fact and act shocked and dismayed....

how embarrassing

16. Joker

Joker PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,542 / 20 / -26

"just a jag" is redundant....come to think of it, so is Peter King...good job!

17. tuckeverlasting

tuckeverlasting 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

No Jersey Selected

he's not redundant, he's rotund. ;)

18. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

19. bakes781

bakes781 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

I just love how everyone in the media is taking Walsh's word to be gospel when the guy was fired for illegally taping his employers & falsifying his resume.

20. PatsFanJess

PatsFanJess Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

You are right on point. He's spinning stories to fit his agenda. PK is either an imbecile who knows nothing about football, or he's blatantly lying and twisting a story to benefit the ideas he wants to believe are true. Or he's both, which seems most plausible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.