PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My mock of the Pats' draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

bucky

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
21) Chad Greenway - I doubt he will drop, but I think he's the most LB in this year's draft in terms of playing the run, coverage, and blitzing.

52) Anthony Fasano, TE, ND - A faster, stronger version of Fauria. Could be an improvement over Graham in 2007.

75) Jason Avant, WR, Mich - Despite his slow 40 time, he is a Patriots' type of player and his production is outstanding.

86) Paris (Hilton) Haralson, DE, Ten - I like Haralson, but more specifically, I think this is the perfect spot to take a DE who will be converted to OLB. I would love to get one out of Haralson, Gocong, or Mark Anderson.

106) Will Blackmon, KR/WR/DB, BC - Bye bye Bethel?

118) Jason Spitz, G/C, Lousiville - Koppen insurance and probably an upgrade over Hochstein.

136) Gerald Riggs, RB, Tenn - Pats can afford to give him a year to develop at the NFL level. Boom or bust type of player, but worth the risk in the 5th.

I'm not going to even attempt to predict the 6th and 7th rounds. I would think we'll draft a Kicker, and some TC fodder at any position with potential to stick on the roster or PS.

Comments?

Last edited:
fasano in round 2? hes behind davis,pope,lewis,klofenstein and byrd i beleive...not #2

Remix 6 said:
fasano in round 2? hes behind davis,pope,lewis,klofenstein and byrd i beleive...not #2

Depends on whose board you look at. I think the Pats would have Fasano ahead of Lewis because of blocking skills and ahead of Byrd based on intangibles. Also, if they got the thumbs up from Weis, I wouldn't be surprised if he was their top rated TE behind Davis.

On a related note, I'm not sure Avant will still be there at 75, so I could see those 2 being flip-flopped.

Actually Fasano is not a bad pick for #52. I think it's a pretty reasonable prediction.

Presuming that we sign a corner this week, I like your draft. I like choices of position when chosen, although I might disagree with the choice itself

21) The key to your draft is getting Greenway. He may take you a 3rd and 4th to move up to reach.

52) I like Klopfenstein a bit better.

75) There are many. I hope for Hagan or Jennings, but Avant is fine.

86) You lost this pick to get Greeway :) Good pick. One of your group (In would add Schlagel and Kudla) should be available at 106.

106) An OK pick; it might be time for an OL like Cook, Colledge or Winston.

118) I like Ross or Montgomery a bit better.

136) You're choosing a player who will like end on IR, but he's a reasonable choice.

bucky said:
21) Chad Greenway - I doubt he will drop, but I think he's the most LB in this year's draft in terms of playing the run, coverage, and blitzing.

52) Anthony Fasano, TE, ND - A faster, stronger version of Fauria. Could be an improvement over Graham in 2007.

75) Jason Avant, WR, Mich - Despite his slow 40 time, he is a Patriots' type of player and his production is outstanding.

86) Paris (Hilton) Haralson, DE, Ten - I like Haralson, but more specifically, I think this is the perfect spot to take a DE who will be converted to OLB. I would love to get one out of Haralson, Gocong, or Mark Anderson.

118) Jason Spitz, G/C, Lousiville - Koppen insurance and probably an upgrade over Hochstein.

136) Gerald Riggs, RB, Tenn - Pats can afford to give him a year to develop at the NFL level. Boom or bust type of player, but worth the risk in the 5th.

I'm not going to even attempt to predict the 6th and 7th rounds. I would think we'll draft a Kicker, and some TC fodder at any position with potential to stick on the roster or PS.

Comments?

mgteich said:
Presuming that we sign a corner this week, I like your draft.
Thanks. I do expect us to add another corner at some point, but I don't think it'll be a clear-cut starter (aka Ty Law or 1st round pick). It's also not out of the question that Blackmon could be drafted as a CB.

mgteich said:
21) The key to your draft is getting Greenway. He may take you a 3rd and 4th to move up to reach.
You're right. I like Greenway because of his coverage ability. I'd be just as happy with Lawson, though he may not be available either. If we were to go OLB here, I'd be looking at a guy like Praham at 86.

mgteich said:
106) An OK pick; it might be time for an OL like Cook, Colledge or Winston.
I'm a big Blacmon fan, though I'm not a big BC fan. He'll be great in the kicking game, both as a returner and covering them. He could develop as a WR, or he could play CB. He also has enough size, toughness, intelligence and ball skills to play FS.

mgteich said:
136) You're choosing a player who will like end on IR, but he's a reasonable choice.

I don't think the IR is a great place to stash talent because it prevents them from practicing. Most teams carry 5 RBs. BB has been carrying 4 recently, but he used to carry 5. If Riggs stays healthy and shows some potential, the Pats could carry him as 53rd player. I don't think the Pats need a new back this year, but chances are they'll need a 5th RB at some point.

bucky said:

Comments?

Look at Greenway in action..........that guy looks weaker then almost any other top LB. I hope the Patriots don't even think of drafting that guy. The guy seems to barely make tackles. Notice how he bounces off of the players he's tackling? HE NEVER TAKES A GUY HEAD ON. He's always going for the legs or feet. Thats not physical football in my opinion.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5470428#dl

Last edited:
If Greenway is around at #21, its a no brainer. BB has already stated that this is going to be a value grouping kind of year. But if he slides to us, he both fits the bill in that category and fills a need. We can dream.

I dont like any other picks until your choices at 118 and 136. Riggs has a shot to be really good, MAYBE. Kevin Falk has been hurt a lot in the last few seasons, and Corey had injuries his last two here. Now Pass has started. Riggs is a better insurance policy than Cloud, IMO. And at that spot, if he doesn't work out, he's cost you little.

I agree with regard to stashing talent. The Practice Squad is the right spot. My comment was an oblique reference to Riggs' injury history.

bucky said:
Thanks. I do expect us to add another corner at some point, but I don't think it'll be a clear-cut starter (aka Ty Law or 1st round pick). It's also not out of the question that Blackmon could be drafted as a CB.

You're right. I like Greenway because of his coverage ability. I'd be just as happy with Lawson, though he may not be available either. If we were to go OLB here, I'd be looking at a guy like Praham at 86.

I'm a big Blacmon fan, though I'm not a big BC fan. He'll be great in the kicking game, both as a returner and covering them. He could develop as a WR, or he could play CB. He also has enough size, toughness, intelligence and ball skills to play FS.

I don't think the IR is a great place to stash talent because it prevents them from practicing. Most teams carry 5 RBs. BB has been carrying 4 recently, but he used to carry 5. If Riggs stays healthy and shows some potential, the Pats could carry him as 53rd player. I don't think the Pats need a new back this year, but chances are they'll need a 5th RB at some point.

shirtsleeve said:
If Greenway is around at #21, its a no brainer. BB has already stated that this is going to be a value grouping kind of year. But if he slides to us, he both fits the bill in that category and fills a need. We can dream.

I dont like any other picks until your choices at 118 and 136. Riggs has a shot to be really good, MAYBE. Kevin Falk has been hurt a lot in the last few seasons, and Corey had injuries his last two here. Now Pass has started. Riggs is a better insurance policy than Cloud, IMO. And at that spot, if he doesn't work out, he's cost you little.

Greenway is weak bro..............15 reps on the bench. Even in his games he never wraps up. He's always undercutting the ball carrier or doing leg swipes. You never see him make that center mass hit.

Good draft. All of them I have highlighted as "Patriot type" players.

I'm still taking Carpenter over Greenway but it's close.

Yes Mr. Tibbs!! Finally some sanity in the midst of the Greenway obsession.

If the Pats drafted Fasano in the second round, I would trash my T.V., then throw up!

Lawson (more upside) or Carpenter. 1st rd
Hoyte or Schlagel 3rd rd.

Compromise- Hodge in the 2nd

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand