PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My latest Mock in the last week before the draft (finally)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still think the Jets are the likely team to trade up in round one and the Redskins trade down - to whomever is a question but I will be surprised if both of those teams stand pat.

The Jets would love to have a defensive elite player and will probably do what they can to trade for one of the top guys,The Redskins are short on money and need some extra picks in the lower rounds so I can see them allowing the Jets or whomever to jump into that #6 spot.

Last edited:
I still think the Jets will trade up and the Redskins trade down

The Jets would love to have a defensive elite player and will probably do what they can to trade for one of the top guys,The Redskins are short on money and need some extra picks in the lower rounds so I can see them allowing the Jets or whomever to jump into that #6 spot.

I can to. But the skins are not going to do it for the 25th pick and a second rounder down at 50. It would take way more then that.

Where in this post did you see I said the Patriots organization went out on a limb?
I said I am going on a limb picking a guy most of us don't see as a Patriot or think we will take.
BB and Pioli as well as other GMs and HCs see or know things about certain guys that we don't and if they would fit in as a player on thier respective team-

You know as much as I do about who BB and Pioli covets in this draft and that means we have NO IDEA unless you are inside of either of thier heads or are a very close personal friend of them-maybe Hughes will never make it here,maye he is a longshot,maybe he won't even make it in the first day-but never say never till the party's over and the fat lady sings.

The draft is a shot in the dark - just because there are more talented players does not mean they go higher - Ask Tom Brady,6th Round Pick from Michigan of how things that 'look good on paper' means and all those other QBs that went ahead of him are at now-Nothing is in stone when it comes to the draft - nothing.

Brady was rated as a 5th-6th round QB, BTW, with good upside.

Could you please provide an example where the Pats have REACHED for talent in the 1st round under BB and Pioli?

If there is one thing I am pretty confident on is that the Patriots don't REACH for picks in the 1st round. Even with Mankins, the "draft gurus" had him rated as a late 1st/ early 2nd pick so it wasn't really a reach when the Pats took him. That is why I can confidently say that Hughes will not be on their radar.

Hell, just look at his pros and cons. There is enough in the cons that should make you think that he's not 1st round material.

Why is it that people are so stuck on the OUTDATED Points value chart that was only ever a general guidline to begin with?

In my mock draft I had the Dolphins(at 9) trading up to Washington's #6 to grab Brady Quinn ahead of Minnesota. I included the 60th pick(originally the Pats 2nd rounder) to complete the deal. Just to give you an idea of what the #6 is trully worth.

Last edited:
Brady was rated as a 5th-6th round QB, BTW, with good upside.

Could you please provide an example where the Pats have REACHED for talent in the 1st round under BB and Pioli?

If there is one thing I am pretty confident on is that the Patriots don't REACH for picks in the 1st round. Even with Mankins, the "draft gurus" had him rated as a late 1st/ early 2nd pick so it wasn't really a reach when the Pats took him. That is why I can confidently say that Hughes will not be on their radar.

Hell, just look at his pros and cons. There is enough in the cons that should make you think that he's not 1st round material.

Find me one person outside of BB and Pioli who thought Ben Watson was a 1st rounder - Watson was ranked mid to lower 2nd by all media and published reports as well as 99% of mocks - you can't deny that,he was NOT anywhere near 1st round quality at the time of being chosen by the Patriots - so there goes your theory.

Why is it that people are so stuck on the OUTDATED Points value chart that was only ever a general guidline to begin with?
Is it outdated because this would suit your arguement better?

IMO The points system is stupid and not an issue,It should simply be up to what teams want to do instead of evaluating everything or every person.

IMO The points system is stupid and not an issue,It should simply be up to what teams want to do instead of evaluating everything or every person.

oh great so on my next mock I should have the Pats offer Detriot a bag of sand for the #2 overall & select Calvin Johnson. :singing:

O.K. Here goes my last mock before the draft,I am going to leave some notable players out of the first round,but because this draft has so many evenly talented players after the first top ten elite picks,There will be some guys who should go in round one that will not get drafted until round 2 (Houston,Nelson,Spencer,Aaron Ross ect) - and of course there will be some projected round two picks that go earlier than expected as always.

1) Oakland Raiders - JaMarcus Russell
2) Detroit Lions - Gaines Adams
3) Cleveland Browns - Brady Quinn
4) Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Calvin Johnson
5) Arizona Cardinals - Amobe Okoye (Barely has to change college to pro uniforms-will still play for the cardinals)
6) New York Jets - Adam Carriker (swap 25th pick for washington's 6th + give the Redskins a 3rd rounder this year)
7) Minnesota Vikings - LaRon Landry
8) Atlanta Falcons - Adrian Peterson
9) Miami Dolphins - Joe Thomas
10) Houston Texans - Leon Hall
11) San Francisco 49ers - Jamaal Anderson
12) Buffalo Bills - Patrick Willis
13) St. Louis Cardinals - Ted Ginn jr.
14) Carolina Panthers - Brandon Meriweather
15) Pittsburgh Steelers - Levi Brown
16) Green Bay - Marshawn Lynch
17) Jacksonville Jaguars - Darrell Revis
18) Cincinnati Bengals - Jarvis Moss
19) Tennessee Titans - Justin Harrell
20) New York Giants - Dwayne Bowe
21) Denver Broncos - Jon Beason
22) Dallas Cowboys - Dwayne Jarrett
23) Kansas City Chiefs - Robert Meacham
24) New England Patriots - Daymeon Hughes
25) Washington Redskins- DeMarcus Tyler (In trade with Jets)
26) Philadelphia Eagles - Lawrence Timmons
27) New Orleans Saints - Greg Olsen
28) New England Patriots - Paul Posluszny
29) Baltimore Ravens - Ryan Kalil
30) San Diego Chargers - Ben Grubbs
31) Chicago Bears - Justin Blalock
32) Indianapolis Colts - Joe Staley

Is my draft Mock Good - Bad - Or Ugly?- You decide

Cousin, Lots of work. Good job. I don't agree with all pics but thats the fun of a mock. A lot of Thread Champions what to crucify you if you don't see it there way.....Ignore them. This draft is not going to make you me or them one single dollar, nor enhance our families lives.
I love Hughes but have to agree #24 is early. Wish we had a late two or early three. I have heard nothing bad about his in field play. He is instinctive and consistent. Wouldn't mind Poz. He is a number one choice. He's safe but I don't know if we would call him impact. Like a Chad Greenway in 2006.

I agree with you on the OL choice (or non OL choice). At the end rounds, o.k. but don't waste a top choice when we have needs. Some say we drafted for BPA in 2006. Look at out draft last year and tell me was there not more than 50% drafted for needs at some point (K, WR, TE, NT, OLB AND EVEN A KICK RETURN KID WHO MADE THE TEAM, but ironically as a ST guy).

We have gotten some good OL help high, low and FA (Mankins #1, Kopen#5, O'Callaghan #6 Neal FA). People say keep (rent) Assante for the year cause we can make a SB run in 07. Then they turn and say, now let's draft an OL dude in round one cause he'll help a few years from now.........? Lets keep in focus. If we are talking about a run in 2007, lets at least get a few top choices (LB,DB,RB) to help this year. If we can get one or two or three that get Maroney type 2006 time, they would have to be decent and thus help the Pats in 2007. Even one impact kid makes a big difference what what we have signed. Do you see my logic? It's my opinion anyway and you and they have theirs. I respect everyone on these threads as having knowledge.

Keep this in mind in this weak 2007 draft. 19-99 are not much difference in value. 1-18 are the real only first round values this year. Reaching for a OL if it's not Thomas, is just that. If we go OL at 24, we might could have the same quality at 74 in the end. That goes for CB, S. RB etc., although I feel that DB and WR have depth in 2007. You can pick and choose quality more so than other positions.

Hey this is only my opinion though. It's not a financial value.

DW Toys

I dont think they are..... A late first and a third is no where near the value of the sixth pick in the draft. I think if the skins wanted to get more picks they could get a lot more then a late first and a late third for there pick.

Last edited:
oh great so on my next mock I should have the Pats offer Detriot a bag of sand for the #2 overall & select Calvin Johnson. :singing:

And Matt Millen WOULD accept it - His GM Brain has a big bag of sand inside. ;)

The Chart is just a guideline. You also have to consider that the Skins are short on money and picks.

Umm dude the Jets trade with the Skins is a total ripoff. Do you think the Skins would take our #24 and our 3rd round pick to trade down? Don't think so. This mock is ugly not just because of the unrealistic trade but they guys you have us taking are big reaches. Well Hughes is the huge reach and Poz I think is just too small for our system. Would rather take Staley at 28 if he lasts that long.

Umm dude the Jets trade with the Skins is a total ripoff. Do you think the Skins would take our #24 and our 3rd round pick to trade down? Don't think so. This mock is ugly not just because of the unrealistic trade but they guys you have us taking are big reaches. Well Hughes is the huge reach and Poz I think is just too small for our system. Would rather take Staley at 28 if he lasts that long.

I agree. Maybe if thet jets still had those two second rounders, and gave them up with there 25th. Other then that there is zero chance they get the 6th pick for the 25th and 75th pick.

Last edited:
You left Alan Branch out of the first round? I don't see him falling past #11 to the 49ers.

Find me one person outside of BB and Pioli who thought Ben Watson was a 1st rounder - Watson was ranked mid to lower 2nd by all media and published reports as well as 99% of mocks - you can't deny that,he was NOT anywhere near 1st round quality at the time of being chosen by the Patriots - so there goes your theory.

NFLDraftScout had Watson rated as a high 2nd rounder and the 3rd TE overall. So, No, I don't see it as a stretch that he was taken at the end of the 1st round by the Pats. I don't consider 16 picks at the most to be a reach. If you do, then the fool is you.

OH, btw, if I use your "theory" then Mankins would have been a reach also. And Mankins wasn't a reach.

So, my theory isn't gone. Nice try though. Care to try again?

NFLDraftScout had Watson rated as a high 2nd rounder and the 3rd TE overall. So, No, I don't see it as a stretch that he was taken at the end of the 1st round by the Pats. I don't consider 16 picks at the most to be a reach. If you do, then the fool is you.

OH, btw, if I use your "theory" then Mankins would have been a reach also. And Mankins wasn't a reach.

So, my theory isn't gone. Nice try though. Care to try again?

Either way you made a post which had the skins giving up there number six pick for the number 25th and 75th pick. Not in a trillion years.

No, its outdated because it was done PRIOR to there being restrictions on the lengths of contracts sigend by players in different rounds.

But, go ahead and ignore it. I don't care. But its the equivalent of ignoring the arms that come down across the railroad tracks before a train comes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST