PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My last year as a Miami fan

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a transplant to New England in 1981 (17 years old), I was an everything Philly fan. I had no reason to switch my fandom, the eagles had just gotten beat by the raiders in the super bowl. the celts-sixers battles were epic.

But by "86,friends helped sweep me up in pats fever. Ironically, became a full-fledged pats fan during the squish the phish playoffs. been a rabid pats devotee ever since, (some very very bad years too).

still cant root for the celts (but they suck too bad to root against em either).
still root against the bruins or sox if they're playin philly.

this guys switch seem half hearted.

I'm sorry. There is no such thing as switching allegiances as a fan. If a fan claims to have switched allegiances, then they were never a fan in the first place.

Case in point.....I grew up a huge Bruins fan. The B's as we all know have sucked for the better part of a decade now if not longer. I recently moved to NC where they actually have a decent hockey team (albeit the old Hartford Whalers....whodathunkit). I joke with people that I may become a Hurricanes fan as it's very difficult to even follow the B's right now.

Now I might go to a few Canes games and cheer for them because they are the home team but if the Black and Gold comes to town, even if they are in last place and still owned by that idiot JJ, I will cheer for the away team.

If you were in my spot and cheer for the Canes in that situation, I'd say you were never a B's fan......just somebody that rode on the bandwagon back in the glory days oh so long ago. Or some clown of a kid that cheered for them because your dad the diehard did and then you realized it was a lost cause......still, not what I would call a true fan.

Rant over.....

Couldn't agree more. I was born and raised a New England sports fan, growing up in Scituate. I ate, drank, and slept Pats, Sox, B's, C's, BC, etc. Now, I've lived in the DC area for 20 years, but I could never convert to local teams. Their not my teams. I never ever understood "fans" that switched favorite teams, but at least the switch was in the right direction.

So when times were tough, you jumped ship on your squad? That's lame, man. It's easy to be a fan when a team is winning. The true measure of loyalty lies with the tough times. The bottom line is that you're not going to agree with every call, you're going to have bonehead coaches, players you dislike, agonizing losses and horrible seasons. But sticking with your team through those times makes it that much better when you finally get to taste the championships. It's hilarious to me how many Patriots hats, shirts, and jerseys I see here in Ann Arbor now. Sure, some of it has to be attributed to Tommy, but back in his rookie year in 2000 when I wore my Pats gear, there was no one around to reciprocate. Although, I guess since we were 5-11 that year my best course of action would've been to become a Ravens fan. They won the Super Bowl.

You MUST BE a chick. Dude's don't jump ship like that.

You're welcome to join Patriots Nation but the rules state that you must give up your seat whenever a REAL fan enters the room. Unless you're a hot chick. The rules for hot chicks trump all other rules.

);p

:eek: Color me speechless!

You MUST BE a chick. Dude's don't jump ship like that.

You're welcome to join Patriots Nation but the rules state that you must give up your seat whenever a REAL fan enters the room. Unless you're a hot chick. The rules for hot chicks trump all other rules.

);p

With posts like this...i will gladly welcome our new Pats fan any day.

Man, some of you guys are harsh. I grew up in the Boston area and used to have Hog, Grogan, Nellie, etc. come to my banquets when I was in pop warner through high school and I wasn't a Pats fan then. I even used to go to the games but I was a Raiders fan for a long time. I didn't like the Pats until Parcells came to the Pats. I'll tell you why too. The Pats were too damn fustrating to watch. I just didn't think they played with an attitude back then. Parcells brought that. That attitude was what attracted me the the Raiders when I was a young kid. Sure, there were some guys, like the ones I mentioned above that were favorites, but as a team, I thought they sucked and played lousy football. So what if some guy wants to change teams? Do you think that Kraft cares? Some people need to be honest because there weren't that many fans back then. The fan base didn't start picking up until they had some success.

I seriously doubt that some of our non-New England fans (unless they are transplants) decided at a young age that the Pats were their favorite team if they're over 30 years old. They just weren't a team when you were young that you said "hey, those guys are great". Let's get real here. I knew lots of kids in New England weren't Pats fans and it was because they were crap most of the time.

Now, I don't subscribe to other fan bases saying there were no fans until 2001 but let's be honest here. I know some of you are going to chime in and say "I was" and that's great but you know and I know that the Pats have a much larger fan base now than then and if they want to root for the Pats, then what's the harm? Some of us "bandwagen fans" jumped the bandwagen before some on this board were born.

Last edited:
I went to Phins game in Foxboro and was excited to see Marino in person. I think it was his last game in Foxboro He goes one series, throws a pick and Huard comes in. I was so disapointed. He was at his worst. I just wanted one decent completion. I have seen enough of Haurd to last a lifetime.

From the Chiefs website about Huard. Sounds like they are selling a used car.

"Owns 14 games of experience as an NFL starter, posting an impressive 10-4 record in those contests …" That is over 11 years.

So dude, I see where you are coming from, a hobbled Marino to a medeocore Haurd to Lemon (any relation to Medowlark?). Sorry man.

I'm sorry. There is no such thing as switching allegiances as a fan. If a fan claims to have switched allegiances, then they were never a fan in the first place.

This is sheer foolishness. Change happens all the time. Thank goodness!

Personally, I've been a fan of Boston sports teams from childhood. But choosing to root for a team is a choice, not a lifelong commitment that you are born into. You may not like it when someone chooses a different team (for whatever reason), but that doesn't mean that they were less of a fan 5 years previously.

I seriously doubt that some of our non-New England fans (unless they are transplants) decided at a young age that the Pats were their favorite team if they're over 30 years old. They just weren't a team when you were young that you said "hey, those guys are great". Let's get real here. I knew lots of kids in New England weren't Pats fans and it was because they were crap most of the time.

This guy did. I wasn't rooting for a team playing in a dome (Lions). I loathed the Detroit Lions. So, I had Boston roots, my folks would bring me Patriots shirts from Boston as a kid, so I took a liking to that team. They always got to play in the fun weather. Then, Drew Bledsoe and Bill Parcells came, the Patriots actually made the playoffs :eek: (I actually got crap from friends about the Super Bowl against the Bears. We were 5 when that happened.) I have followed the Pats passionately since I was about 11, in 1991. It hasn't always been easy.

Well I say welcome aboard. You have seen the light.
I have always encouraged people to root for the Patriots.
And let's face it, it is always easier to root for a winner.
Do I remember the days of Pats shame and Lisa Olsen?
Yes. Those were truly horrible times.
But we have to face the facts that there will be fans that join the ranks that were not fans during the dark days.

The test for these new fans is going to be, are they willing to stick by their choice to support the Patriots for the long haul? It is going to be very easy to fall in love with the golden age era Patriots, but where will those fans be when Brady and BB have retired, when the Patriots are not challenging for the Superbowl every year?

I don't think we should discourage new Patriots fans from joining the ranks. But we should welcome them. And also remind them, that choosing a team to support should be a committment. There will be good times like now, but there will also be bad. If you are a fan of the New England Patriots, welcome, and please stay aboard for the entire ride.

BTW I CAN understand how a fan can choose to no longer support a team. The prime example here being the Boston Bruins. Once I understood that the owner was a cheapskate and would NEVER spend the money needed to compete, once I saw talented players like Bouque, Janney, Oates, etc. keep leaving the team (joined by Thornton later) - I knew that organization was DOOMED and would never make the committment to win. From then on I REFUSED to watch any Bruins games or monitor their progress, or buy their merchandise. To me the Boston Bruins are DEAD.
I have never since picked up a hockey team to replace them, although I have caught a few Caps games with some friends. The Bruins pretty much killed Hockey for me as a fan.

it was 1998. Marino got crippled 3/4 the way through the season, and damon huard was put in as qb. he won them enough games to get them into the playoffs.
january 1999. jaguars and dolphins in the playoffs. they start washed up marino in favor of the guy who got them to the playoffs (think of it like belichick starting bledsoe in the playoffs instead of brady in 01).
marino stinks up the joint so bad, throwing pick after pick, untill his defense gives up late in the 2nd quarter. i was screaming the whole time to give the ball to huard. when the score gets into the high 60's, yes, the 60's (due to marinos handful of picks, fumbles, and a tired defense who had been out on the field the whole day), they finally put huard in, in the fourth quarter. he scores 2 tds quickly, and the miami defense shuts the jags down. but it was too late. the record blowout was already done. and miami has been CURSED ever since.
just think- what would have happened to the pats if bledsoe was alowed to stink up the joint after brady got them to the playoffs??

needless to say, i have been a pats fan since that day. i live and breathe pats now.

Who could ever blame you? Not I.

Welcome aboard bro!...

The Pats are the only team that I could EVER truly root for.

The bandwagon is always open as far as I'm concerned.

Just don't fall off of it...

And... as for Damon Huard. He should have had the starting gig for the Dolphins. He was and still is a very capable starter. He got a raw deal for a long time. If you give him some time, he will surprise you. I'm glad he is getting a chance to be the starter in KC.

Last edited:
This is sheer foolishness. Change happens all the time. Thank goodness!

Personally, I've been a fan of Boston sports teams from childhood. But choosing to root for a team is a choice, not a lifelong commitment that you are born into. You may not like it when someone chooses a different team (for whatever reason), but that doesn't mean that they were less of a fan 5 years previously.

Caution: Old man ramblings ahead....proceed with caution!

With all due respect I can't completely agree with your statement that it's not a lifetime commitment you are born into. At least give those of us that were "born into" being a fan of Boston sports teams some credit for remaining loyal to our teams over the decades despite our current gegraphical location and years of poor performance regarding essentially every one of those teams over these years.

For some of us, and really I'm only including myself in this but I think I can safely assume I'm not the only one, it's a tie to our roots.

I grew up in Plymouth, Mass and remember Boston sports as some of my first memories.

I remember going to my Uncle Jack's house in Arlington with a Sox game playing on the radio, it couldn't have been any later than 1971 because we originally moved down to Florida in 1972 and my Uncle passed away while we were gone but what I do remember of this was my Uncle laughing and trying to get me to spell Yastrzemski, I think I managed to do it finally and still think that was a pretty impressive feat for a 3 year old.

We moved back in 1973, first memory was my Dad who was an avid hockey fan got me this cheesy inflateable bear with a #4 on it, the last name Orr was also a lot easier to spell than Yastrzemski and I loved going to the Garden on rare occasions when he was feeling well enough to take me to a game.

I remember having a red and blue stocking cap with a little Pat Patriot patch on the front of it that I'm sure kept my ears from freezing off during the Blizzard of 78.

I remember being very much surprised while watching a Celtics game one time of my Mom coming in to watch with me and telling me that her Father used to take her to Celtics games and that as a girl growing up in Roxbury she herself played basketball!

These teams are professional sports teams, it's true but it's more than that to some of us. It's a link to the past, to family members and friends long gone. I am now living again in Florida, I've lived in Indiana also but in my heart I will always be a New Englander.

I really do understand the excitement of following a winning team, I've felt that excitement now with the Red Sox, the Celtics, the Bruins and naturally our beloved Pats but I feel I've earned it more than someone who sheds their colors during the lean years.

Loyalty matters.

:)

P.S. I hope this won't be taken as a slam to anyone with different feelings on the subject, only one fans perspective.

Some folks may have missed the point that I and a few others tried to make.

I am in no way discouraging this guy or any other fan that wants to cheer on the Pats.

My point really was that I don't buy the idea that he was a diehard Fins fan and then began cheering for the Pats.

A very casual fan, maybe.......diehard, no way.

And if you are wondering how I define a "casual fan", it's my buddy the Yankees fan who can't name one guy on the team, nor explain half the rules in MLB but someone bought him a Yanks cap when he was a kid and therefore he is a Yanks fan.......or at least he claims to be.

Caution: Old man ramblings ahead....proceed with caution!

With all due respect I can't completely agree with your statement that it's not a lifetime commitment you are born into. At least give those of us that were "born into" being a fan of Boston sports teams some credit for remaining loyal to our teams over the decades despite our current gegraphical location and years of poor performance regarding essentially every one of those teams over these years.

For some of us, and really I'm only including myself in this but I think I can safely assume I'm not the only one, it's a tie to our roots.

I grew up in Plymouth, Mass and remember Boston sports as some of my first memories.

I remember going to my Uncle Jack's house in Arlington with a Sox game playing on the radio, it couldn't have been any later than 1971 because we originally moved down to Florida in 1972 and my Uncle passed away while we were gone but what I do remember of this was my Uncle laughing and trying to get me to spell Yastrzemski, I think I managed to do it finally and still think that was a pretty impressive feat for a 3 year old.

We moved back in 1973, first memory was my Dad who was an avid hockey fan got me this cheesy inflateable bear with a #4 on it, the last name Orr was also a lot easier to spell than Yastrzemski and I loved going to the Garden on rare occasions when he was feeling well enough to take me to a game.

I remember having a red and blue stocking cap with a little Pat Patriot patch on the front of it that I'm sure kept my ears from freezing off during the Blizzard of 78.

I remember being very much surprised while watching a Celtics game one time of my Mom coming in to watch with me and telling me that her Father used to take her to Celtics games and that as a girl growing up in Roxbury she herself played basketball!

These teams are professional sports teams, it's true but it's more than that to some of us. It's a link to the past, to family members and friends long gone. I am now living again in Florida, I've lived in Indiana also but in my heart I will always be a New Englander.

I really do understand the excitement of following a winning team, I've felt that excitement now with the Red Sox, the Celtics, the Bruins and naturally our beloved Pats but I feel I've earned it more than someone who sheds their colors during the lean years.

Loyalty matters.

:)

P.S. I hope this won't be taken as a slam to anyone with different feelings on the subject, only one fans perspective.

Great post thanks for sharing.

needless to say, i have been a pats fan since that day. i live and breathe pats now.

That was a tough road. When an organization makes bad decisions (not just coaches, and not just players) then you have a really rough road ahead. I wish all NFL fans could at least have a shot until maybe December, but right now several teams, and millions of fans have zero shot already.

Wow, I can't imagine squandering such a great defense. Since Jason Taylor came into the league they've always had a strong defense. Maybe not now, and maybe not again for many years. Terrible.

I thought JJ should have stayed, but what do I know about Miami politics? He was a great coach, and I think he would have gotten rid of Dan before Dan destroyed the offense.

I could never understand fans who grew up in a territory that owned a team, and rooted for another. I think it was the Sports Guy who put it all in perspective. The rules for rooting for a team. I'll see if I can find those.

With all due respect I can't completely agree with your statement that it's not a lifetime commitment you are born into.

You are certainly welcome to feel that it's a lifetime commitment for you. That's your choice. :)

My complaint was directed to a poster shooting down someone else for not making a lifetime commitment to some team and/or changing rooting interests. We're talking about rooting for a sports team! This is not even something serious! Seriously! This is fun and games. Yes, we take it too seriously - particularly people like us who waste a lot of our lives reading and posting on sports forums. But sports really is not all that important part of life as we sometimes remember when tragedy strikes...

You are certainly welcome to feel that it's a lifetime commitment for you. That's your choice. :)

My complaint was directed to a poster shooting down someone else for not making a lifetime commitment to some team and/or changing rooting interests. We're talking about rooting for a sports team! This is not even something serious! Seriously! This is fun and games. Yes, we take it too seriously - particularly people like us who waste a lot of our lives reading and posting on sports forums. But sports really is not all that important part of life as we sometimes remember when tragedy strikes...

Just remember, your up to 211 posts. Do not get too excited or you'll lose your perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft