PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My first mock

Status
Not open for further replies.

everlong

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
With all the joke mocks out there I might as well take a shot.

I included an others selection because most of these teams could go in a myriad of directions.

Please remember it's just one take on it and it'll all change at the combine any way. I can see many of these players going any place from 10-30 it just depends. So if you see a guy like Charles Johnson going 13 it's just my opinion based on team needs and how I think the combine will improve different players stock. I already know dropping CJ to 7 will cause a fire.....

Also if I missed somebody major...sorry.

In short it's for fun so we can all speculate so if your favorite player dropped out of the top ten or god forbid out of the first round don't worry come draft day maybe you'll be right. If I change any one pick the ripple effect going down is expedential.

Enjoy........or not. :bricks:

1. Oakland Raiders:
JaMarcus Russell, QB, LSU

Does anybody really know what Al Davis will do? I'm not sure how anybody can pick this one. I'm also not sold on Russell
going this high but beating Quinn heads up has taken his stock way up. It should be remembered Russell has the far superior
team to Quinn. Also VY's success helped him out a lot.

Other choices: Brady Quinn, Calvin Johnson

2. Detroit Lions:
Brady Quinn, QB, Notre Dame

They certainly need a QB of the future but Mensa Matt will probably go WR again (joking, sorta). They also need line help
on both sides of the ball so taking the best DT or OT wouldn't be shocking.

Others: Joe Thomas, Alan Branch

3. Cleveland Browns:

Alan Branch DT, Michigan

Romeo needs to start winning with defense and I think he'll start on the line like the Pats.
They could use a stud RB or a QB of the future.

Others: Adrian Peterson, Brady Quinn

4 Tampa Bay Buccaneers:
Joe Thomas, OT, Wisconsin

Lot of needs here but I think they'll go defense to get young on the d-line.
They also need O-line help and I could see Gruden taking the best player available even though WR isn't their biggest need.

Others: Jamaal Anderson, Calvin Johnson, Gaines Adams.

5. Arizona Cardinals:
Jamaal Anderson, DE, Arkansas

Clearly O-line is the biggest need and if Thomas drops this far I think they'll grab him but it's unlikely so they'll take
the best D-line available. Any other O-line is a reach here so if they can trade down they will.

Others: Joe Thomas, Alan Branch, Gaines Adams

6. Washington Redskins:
Gaines Adams, DE, Clemson

Skins have no pass rush and need D-line help in general, they'll go best D-line available.

Others: Alan Branch, Jamaal Anderson

7. Minnesota Vikings:
Cavlin Johnson Wr. Georgia Tech

What a Gift dropping to 7 but the teams above are drafting for need. Williamson has been a bust to date and they need more offense
to open up the field.

Others: Adrian Peterson, Marshall Lynch

8. Houston Texans: Adrian Peterson, RB, Oklahoma

Cannot see them passing up a franchise back....again. They need oline as well.

Others: Lynch, Brown

9. Miami Dolphins: Levi Brown, OT, Penn St.

So many needs with the fins. I can see them going O-line, QB if Quinn falls this far, WR, D-line, D-Backs...Frankly I think
Brown is over rated but a lot of people are high on him and LT's usually have their stock rise.

Others: Quinn, Okoye, Landry, Ginn, Jarrett.

10. Atlanta Falcons: LaRon Landry, S, LSU

They could go so many ways with this pick. Safety, WR, D-line are the most likely. They've drafted a bunch of first round
receivers who have been busts to this point they could go that route again but I think they go youth on defense.

Others: Carriker, Ginn, Jarrett

11. San Francisco 49ers: Amobi Okoye, DT, Louisville

They have some good young talent of offense so I think they'll go defense for sure. They weren't good on defense in any area
starting with clogging the middle would work but they could go CB or Safety too.

Others: Revis, Hall, Nelson.

12. Buffalo Bills: Darrelle Revis, CB, Pittsburgh

The replacement for Clements. D-line also a possibility. Revis will post a good 40 and move to the top of the CB class.

Others: Hall, Okoye, Carriker, Johnson

13. St. Louis Rams: *Charles Johnson, DE, Georgia

Rams have lost a lot of defensive players and others are getting older. They bring in a speed end. They could also go Safety
or CB but I think this is a defensive pick.

Others: Nelson, Hall, Revis, Carriker.

14. Carolina Panthers: Patrick Willis, LB, Mississippi

This is another tough one. I can see them going ILB, WR, S, CB. In the end they go for a young ILB to replace their losses
and injury prone lb core.

Others: Hall, Nelson, Ginn, Jarrett

15. Pittsburgh Steelers: Jarvis Moss, OLB, Florida

I think Moss's draft stock is going to go through the roof after the combine. He'll fit the blitzburg scheme well. I can also
see them going with a CB or WR. They need to get younger on the o-line but nobody grades out here for that position but they
trade down. DE is another possibility.

Others: Revis, Hall, Timmons, Carriker, Ginn, Jarrett

16. Green Bay Packers: Marshawn Lynch, RB, California

Young back to replace the often injured Green. They have a lot of needs on defense too but I think this fits the best.

Others: Hall, Revis, Nelson, Moss, Carriker

17. Jacksonville Jaguars: Leon Hall, CB, Michigan

Another team who's drafted a lot of first round receivers and yet they're still weak in that position.

Others: Revis, Hughes, Nelson,

18. Cincinnati Bengals: Amobi Okoye, DT, Louisville

With a switch to the 3-4 a NT will be high on the list and the by all accounts the kid has great character, the Bungels cannot
afford more bad PR. They also need LB help to make up for their non character guys.

Others: Willis, Moss, Timmmons, Carriker

19. Tennessee Titans: Dwayne Jarrett, WR, USC

They're going to get VY some weapons.

Others: Ginn, Bowe, Rice

20. New York Giants: Lawrence Timmons, LB, Florida St.

They cut Emmons and Arrington so there is a big need at LB. Safety and Cb also in the mix.

Others: Revis, Hall, Hughes, Nelson, Griffin.

21. Denver Broncos: Daymeion Hughes, CB, California

I think they'll address the loss of Williams but they were not happy with their D-line or LBs the end of last year
and with Rod Smith near the end a WR isn't out of the question to go with Walker.

Others: Carriker, Hall, Revis, Hughes, Ross, Timmons, Moss, Meechem, Bowe, Ginn

22. Dallas Cowboys: Aaron Ross, CB, Texas

Cowboys stay in state to grab somebody to play on the other side of Newman who is one of the most under rated CBs in the game.
I can also see them going NT is Okoye falls or DE or S

Others: Okoye, Carriker, Nelson, Revis, Hall, Hughes

23. Kansas City Chiefs: Ted Ginn WR OSU

Lot of needs here. There offense is so one dimensional I think they take a speed receiver to spread the field.
Their CBs are old so that's another possibility or O-line to retool.

Others: Hall, Revis, Hughes, Sears, Blalock

24. New England Patriots (from Seattle): Reggie Nelson, DB, Florida

Ya I basically rigged it to get the guy I want but it's my mock and I'll cheat if I want too!!!!!

Seriously I can see him falling this far, the team who scares me the most is Dallas on taking him ahead of us.

ILB, OLB, CB

Others: Willis, Moss, Spencer, Hughes, Ross, Hall, Griffin, Bowe, Gonzalez.

25. New York Jets: Adam Carriker, DE, Nebraska

He learned from the best and they addressed the O-line last year and it'll be the D-line this year. RB, CB also in the mix.

Others: Lynch, Hall, Revis, Hughes, Ross, Tank Tyler.

26. Philadelphia Eagles: Tim Crowder, DE Texas

I think Crowder fits their system the best and their D-line
is always beat up. LB is another area of need.

Others: Willis, Timmons,

27. New Orleans Saints: Chris Houston, CB, Arkansas

They were exposed against the Bears. I think this is the best corner on the board.

Others: Revis, Hall, Hughes, Ross.

28. New England Patriots: Anthony Spencer, DE, Purdue

If they sign somebody like Thomas this pick may be used elsewhere but they take him as the best value on the board.

Others: Willis, Moss, Spencer, Hughes, Ross, Hall, Griffin, Bowe, Gonzalez, Merriweather.

29. Baltimore Ravens: Quentin Moses, DE/OLB, Georgia

Their defense is going to take some hits yet their offense still has a lot of holes. I can see RB, WR, OLB, ILB. I think Moses who's stock is a bit down now will rise at the combine and Baltimore's 3-4 is better suited for him.

Others: Irons, Willis, Moss, Spencer, Meechem, Bowe, Moses, Abiamiri, Timmons

30. San Diego Chargers: Robert Meachem, WR, Tennessee

Their WRs really let them down in the playoffs. They really need a play maker on the outside.

Others: Rice, Bowe

31. Chicago Bears: Zach Miller TE Arizona St.

The Bears could use a guy who can block and catch. They tend to go deep will all their passes a good TE would be a big
asset to Grossman. Oline or depth in the DBs possible.

Others: Sears, Blalock, Griffin, Ross, Merriweather,

32. Indianapolis Colts: Justin Harrell DT Tennessee

This depends on who they resign. For now I'll assume they bring back all the cogs and they draft the d-line but I could see
it being a LB if June goes or a corner for Harper.

Others: Ross, Timmons, Willis, Houston

These are some of the best players falling to round 2 that can go in round one easily. Quite a few I can see us trading up to get early in R2.

Michael Griffin S, Texas
Anthony Gonzalez, WR, Ohio St.
Brandon Meriweather, S Miami
Dwayne Bowe, WR, LSU
Sidney Rice, WR, South Carolina
Brandon Siler, ILB, Florida
Greg Olsen, TE, Miami (Fla)
Tank Tyler, DT, NC St.
Marcus McCauley, Fresno State
Llmar Woodley DE Michigan
Tony Ugoh OT Arkansas
Victor Abiamiri DE Notre Dame
Drew Stanton, QB Michigan State
Michael Bush, RB Louisville
Brian Leonard, RB Rutgers
Kenny Irons, RB Auburn
Justin Blalock, OG Texas
Quinn Pit****, DT Ohio State
David Harris, ILB Michigan

Good mock. Very good mock.

It's hard to argue pre-combine. And then you have the wild card GM's that throw the whole draft outta whack....

Good mock. Very good mock.

It's hard to argue pre-combine. And then you have the wild card GM's that throw the whole draft outta whack....

I know this is a fun exercise, and the composer should not be criticized because it is done for fun IMO, but I am confused on how you are so confident it is a very good mock when the composer admits he he doctored the draft to get the guy he wants. I have no problem with him doing that and having fun, that is cool and all. How can you claim it is a very good mock which implies that it my be accurate? The composer wished it could happen, and admits it. How is it very good?

I know this is a fun exercise, and the composer should not be criticized because it is done for fun IMO, but I am confused on how you are so confident it is a very good mock when the composer admits he he doctored the draft to get the guy he wants. I have no problem with him doing that and having fun, that is cool and all. How can you claim it is a very good mock which implies that it my be accurate? The composer wished it could happen, and admits it. How is it very good?

Alright, it's half-assed answer. If you must call me on it. He did seem to address most of the needs of teams and he only wanted one particular player to fall to the Pats. If you must know.

Sorry for placating his ego.....oh, ornery-one.

Alright, it's half-assed answer. If you must call me on it. He did seem to address most of the needs of teams and he only wanted one particular player to fall to the Pats. If you must know.

Sorry for placating his ego.....oh, ornery-one.

Thats not it at all. I am sure he spent much time and had fun creating it. I appreciate that. It isn't likely that it happens, in fact its in the "Heck freezes over" category. That has noting to do with the composer. It is all in fun. I just couldn't figure out why it was very good. No dumping on you either.

Thats not it at all. I am sure he spent much time and had fun creating it. I appreciate that. It isn't likely that it happens, in fact its in the "Heck freezes over" category. That has noting to do with the composer. It is all in fun. I just couldn't figure out why it was very good. No dumping on you either.

I know and I didn't mind you calling me on it either. I respect your straight ahead points of view.

I think Nelson can fall to us but he may not. I certainly would like him too so in some instances, the Dallas pick, I went with another pick they would be interested in. It wouldn't shock me if Nelson went as high as the 49ers pick or fell to the Pats. I think the one good thing my mock shows is just how a player can fall if a team goes one way or the other.

I think Nelson can fall to us but he may not. I certainly would like him too so in some instances, the Dallas pick, I went with another pick they would be interested in. It wouldn't shock me if Nelson went as high as the 49ers pick or fell to the Pats. I think the one good thing my mock shows is just how a player can fall if a team goes one way or the other.

Don't get me wrong, we would all wet our pants if we landed Nelson. I could even see him going @ #10 at Atlanta. I too want Nelson to fall, but it isnt realistic. Again, thank you for your hard work. but a guy that talented is not falling 14 picks to #24. It just isn't going to happen. Talent at S is so coveted in the NFL.

No problems Dig like you said I did it for fun and obviously I had a best case senario in mind for the Pats but keep in mind Wilfork was a consensus top 10 (15 tops) pick by everybody.

So you never know.

I think my projections are guys those teams could take. I've read mocks where 3-4 teams are taking a 220 lb LB in the past and I write it off and never go back to the site.

I know a lot of people think you can't win in the NFL without a legitimate playmaker at safety now a days. (us with Rodney and Pitt with Polomolu, etc.), but I think a lot of teams are cautious about using a first on a safety.

It is entirely possible that if Atlanta passes on Nelson for Landry, that Nelson could fall to us, especially if Carolina junps on Willis instead of a safety.

Living here in Patherland I believe they go LB in the first and would grab Willis
before us.......... but you never know

Is it just me or does that Okoye kid get around? :rofl:

Last edited:
Is it just me or does that Okoye kid get around? :rofl:

LOL that's awesome. Oh well I've made bigger mistakes.

I'll have to edit it later I'm way too tired.

I too want Nelson to fall, but it isnt realistic.

The only thing "realistic" will be the actual draft itself, so in the meantime -- :) at all of the mockers scenarios (especially when they favor the Pats).

Again, thank you for your hard work.
Yes. It's ALWAYS much appreciated for those overdue for a feeding...

But a guy that talented is not falling 14 picks to #24. It just isn't going to happen.
Uh oh -- you went and said a draft naughty - "It just isn't going to happen." :nono:

Talent at S is so coveted in the NFL.
Very true. Two other truisms:
  • Teams have other needs besides Safety
  • Safety is deep beyond round one this draft
---

That said, Nelson is my #1 ranked Pats Prospect (currently). I also highly doubt he'll slide to #24 (for obvious reasons). But I choose to keep the door open...just in case he wants to walk in... :singing:

Carriker fits in any defensive system, so he provides value as a 6'6'' 300 lb athlete to every team. In the end I wouldn't be at all surprised if he displaces Jamaal Anderson from the top 10. Anderson is very raw and has alot to improve on, and he isn't the athlete Mario Williams was...

Reggie Nelson is as good a player as Michael Huff was, and better than Donte Whitner. It would be manna from heaven if he fell past #12.

I still think Calvin Johnson goes to Cleveland. He is the best player in the draft. In other words, he gives Charlie Frye a deep threat. I feel 13 is too high at for Charles Johnson, but we will see after the combines and mini workouts, and I put Patrick Willis as a possibility at 13, because he can play either the MIKE or SAM positions, and the Rams don't realy have a player that can play SAM, and there is some concern with the health of Pisa Tinoisamoa. There is no way that the Bucs pass on a DE.

It is entirely possible that if Atlanta passes on Nelson for Landry, that Nelson could fall to us, especially if Carolina junps on Willis instead of a safety.[/QUOTE]

Man, if one of those two fell to us I'd do cartwheels for days. You never know. Atlanta may go after Jarret or Ginn to give Vick a legitimate wr threat to go along with TE Crumpler.

Ok I adjusted for my mistake of adding Okoye twice. So here's 18 back and how that changes things.

18. Cincinnati Bengals: Lawrence Timmons, LB, Florida St

Brought in to replace Odell Thurman. The Bengals defense wasn't the same all year. D-line not out of the question.

Others: Willis, Moss, Timmmons, Okoye

19. Tennessee Titans: Dwayne Jarrett, WR, USC

They're going to get VY some weapons.

Others: Ginn, Bowe, Rice

20. New York Giants: Daymeion Hughes, CB, California.

They address needs in the secondary. They could go in any direction on defense especially if a top LB drops to them.

Others: Revis, Hall, Timmons, Willis, Nelson, Griffin.

21. Denver Broncos: Aaron Ross, CB, Texas

WR, CB and D-line are the big needs. They replace Darrent Williams.

Others: Carriker, Hall, Revis, Hughes, Ross, Timmons, Moss, Meechem, Bowe, Ginn

22. Dallas Cowboys: Reggie Nelson, DB, Florida

Cowboys fill a big need with a play-maker in the secondary who can compliment Roy Williams who lacks coverage skills.

Others: Okoye, Carriker, Revis, Hall, Hughes

23. Kansas City Chiefs: Ted Ginn WR OSU

Lot of needs here. There offense is so one dimensional I think they take a speed receiver to spread the field.
Their CBs are old so that's another possibility or O-line to retool.

Others: Hall, Revis, Hughes, Sears, Blalock

24. New England Patriots (from Seattle): Chris Houston, CB, Arkansas

Pats take the best player on the board to add depth to their secondary.

ILB, OLB, CB

Others: Willis, Moss, Spencer, Hughes, Ross, Hall, Griffin, Bowe, Gonzalez.

25. New York Jets: Adam Carriker, DE, Nebraska

He learned from the best and they addressed the O-line last year and it'll be the D-line this year. RB, CB also in the mix.

Others: Lynch, Hall, Revis, Hughes, Ross, Tank Tyler.

26. Philadelphia Eagles: Tim Crowder, DE Texas

I think Crowder fits their system the best and their D-line
is always beat up. LB is another area of need.

Others: Willis, Timmons,

27. New Orleans Saints: Marcus McCauley, Fresno State

Saints really need a CB and McCauley has flaws but talent.

Others: Revis, Hall, Hughes, Ross.

28. New England Patriots: Anthony Spencer, DE, Purdue

If they sign somebody like Thomas this pick may be used elsewhere but they take him as the best value on the board.

Others: Willis, Moss, Spencer, Hughes, Ross, Hall, Griffin, Bowe, Gonzalez, Merriweather.

29. Baltimore Ravens: Quentin Moses, DE/OLB, Georgia

Their defense is going to take some hits yet their offense still has a lot of holes. I can see RB, WR, OLB, ILB. I think Moses who's stock is a bit down now will rise at the combine and Baltimore's 3-4 is better suited for him.

Others: Irons, Willis, Moss, Spencer, Meechem, Bowe, Moses, Abiamiri, Timmons

30. San Diego Chargers: Robert Meachem, WR, Tennessee

Their WRs really let them down in the playoffs. They really need a play maker on the outside.

Others: Rice, Bowe

31. Chicago Bears: Zach Miller TE Arizona St.

The Bears could use a guy who can block and catch. They tend to go deep will all their passes a good TE would be a big
asset to Grossman. Oline or depth in the DBs possible.

Others: Sears, Blalock, Griffin, Ross, Merriweather,

32. Indianapolis Colts: Justin Harrell DT Tennessee

This depends on who they resign. For now I'll assume they bring back all the cogs and they draft the d-line but I could see
it being a LB if June goes or a corner for Harper.

Others: Ross, Timmons, Willis, Houston[/QUOTE]

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back