PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My First Mock Draft! Rutgers WR Mohamed Sanu & Mississippi St DL Fletcher Cox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smokeeye123

On the Roster
Reaction score
Well...here I go...Obviously pre-combine, and people will plummet down the board and explode up into the first round.

I have the Redskins trading up for the second pick, and the Bengals trading up with the Cowboys to sign Richardson.
1 - IND: Luck, Andrew - QB - Stanford
2 - WAS: Griffin, Robert - QB - Baylor
3 - MIN: Blackmon, Justin - WR - Oklahoma State
4 - CLE: Kalil, Matt - OT - USC
5 - TB: Claiborne, Morris - CB - LSU
6 - STL: Brockers, Michael - DT - LSU
7 - JAX: Coples, Quinton - DE - North Carolina
8 - MIA: Reiff, Riley - OT - Iowa
9 - CAR: Still, Devon - DT - Penn State
10 - BUF: Upshaw, Courtney - ILB - Alabama
11 - KC: Martin, Jonathan - OT - Stanford
12 - SEA: DeCastro, David - OG - Stanford
13 - ARI: Wright, Kendall - WR - Baylor
14 - CIN: Richardson, Trent - RB - Alabama
15 - PHI: Kuechly, Luke - LB - Boston College
16 - NYJ: Barron, Mark - SS - Alabama
17 - DAL: Kirkpatrick, Dre - CB - Alabama
18 - SD: Perry, Nick - DE - USC
19 - CHI: Floyd, Michael - WR - Notre Dame
20 - TEN: Ingram, Melvin - DE - South Carolina
21 - CIN: Glenn, Cordy - OG - Georgia
22 - CLE: Mercilus, Whitney - DE - Illinois
23 - DET: Jenkins, Janoris - CB - North Alabama
24 - PIT: Poe, Dontari - DT - Memphis
25 - DEN: Worthy, Jerel - DT - Michigan State
26 - HOU: Thompson, Brandon - DT - Clemson
27 - NE: Sanu, Mohamed - WR - Rutgers
28 - GB: Crick, Jared - DT - Nebraska
29 - BAL: Konz, Peter - C - Wisconsin
30 - SF: Dennard, Alfonzo - CB - Nebraska
31 - NE: Cox, Fletcher - DT - Mississippi State
32 - NYG: Adams, Mike - OT - Ohio State

Last edited:
re: My First Mock Draft! Rutgers WR Mohamed Sanu & Mississippi St DL Fletcher Cox

Sanu and Cox are two of my favourite players so I like your Patriots draft. The rest of your draft is good too but some random thoughts:

1. I don't see Blackmon going that high. You are in effect saying that he's a better prospect than AJ Green. I also think the Vikings would take Reiff and Claiborne ahead of him but that's just my thinking as of now. I think Blackmon goes closer to 10 than 1 on draft day.

2. you have a lot of picks that I regularly mock (Jenkins to Detroit, Worthy to Broncos). Three that really intrigue me as distinct possibilities now are Kendall Wright to the Jags (even ahead of Blackmon), DeCastro to the Chiefs and Cordy Glenn to the Steelers in a possible trade up.

Good mock.

re: My First Mock Draft! Rutgers WR Mohamed Sanu & Mississippi St DL Fletcher Cox

Sanu and Cox are two of my favourite players so I like your Patriots draft. The rest of your draft is good too but some random thoughts:

1. I don't see Blackmon going that high. You are in effect saying that he's a better prospect than AJ Green. I also think the Vikings would take Reiff and Claiborne ahead of him but that's just my thinking as of now. I think Blackmon goes closer to 10 than 1 on draft day.

2. you have a lot of picks that I regularly mock (Jenkins to Detroit, Worthy to Broncos). Three that really intrigue me as distinct possibilities now are Kendall Wright to the Jags (even ahead of Blackmon), DeCastro to the Chiefs and Cordy Glenn to the Steelers in a possible trade up.

Good mock.

I like our picks too. If Tanneyhill is on board, I expect us to trade down with someone. I think Minny takes Kalil and Cleveland takes Blackmoin. You can't compare drafts from one year to the next. Some years the top 10 is stacked like last year.
This year not so. I only think 6 Top 10 prospects compared to most years. Luck, Griffin, Richardson, Kalil, Claiborne and Blackmon. Picking Blackmon over Claiborne or Richardson isn't a reach at all. No market for rb's that high. Their careers are too short.

Thanks guys. I will admit though, I kind of made it work well for the Pats when I got towards the end. Houston could very well draft Sanu, and Green bay could easily draft Fletcher. Anyone think the Patriots have interest in Dennard? They need a corner but I'd be kind of angry if we picked another runt sized corner. I also didn't put Dont'a Hightower in the first...I feel like he's kind of overrated especially due to his lack of speed. However, he has good leadership qualities and is strong...I'd be ok with the Patriots taking him 31st.

And on Blackmon, what if I flipped Tampa and Minnesota's picks? I just figured the Vikings are dying for an elite WR and would use their first round pick to get the best one available.

Last edited:

Patriots could also take a flyer on Nick Toon in the second round if they choose to pick someone else at #27.

Thanks guys. I will admit though, I kind of made it work well for the Pats when I got towards the end. Houston could very well draft Sanu, and Green bay could easily draft Fletcher. Anyone think the Patriots have interest in Dennard? They need a corner but I'd be kind of angry if we picked another runt sized corner. I also didn't put Dont'a Hightower in the first...I feel like he's kind of overrated especially due to his lack of speed. However, he has good leadership qualities and is strong...I'd be ok with the Patriots taking him 31st.

And on Blackmon, what if I flipped Tampa and Minnesota's picks? I just figured the Vikings are dying for an elite WR and would use their first round pick to get the best one available.

It's your mock. Blackmon wouldn't be a surprise to Minnesota - it's just that I think a stud LT (Reiff) or CB (Claiborne) would be more beneficial to them bearing in mind that they have a greater influence on a game than a WR who might get 6 or 7 touches tops per game.

I once saw a formula that guided first round picks:

The person who passes the ball (QB) is most important, then the person that rushes the passer, then the person protecting him followed by the person defending the pass (CB) followed finally by the person catching the pass (WR). When I mock I tend to follow that formula.

The great thing about mocks is that until draft day, there's no such thing as right or wrong :) .

I like our picks too. If Tanneyhill is on board, I expect us to trade down with someone. I think Minny takes Kalil and Cleveland takes Blackmoin. You can't compare drafts from one year to the next. Some years the top 10 is stacked like last year.
This year not so. I only think 6 Top 10 prospects compared to most years. Luck, Griffin, Richardson, Kalil, Claiborne and Blackmon. Picking Blackmon over Claiborne or Richardson isn't a reach at all. No market for rb's that high. Their careers are too short.

I just like RB's. My argument would be that a Trent Richardson (say for Cleveland) would help more in the passing game than Blackmon who's touches will be limited. TR helps by picking up blitzes, providing a checkdown, and keeping the pass rush off McCoy by generating meaningful playaction. If I was GM of the Browns I'd take TR over Blackmon every day.

But then I'm at home typing this on my computer, not sitting behind a big mahogany desk at Cleveland Browns Stadium.

no brockers? I like sanu though

no brockers? I like sanu though

Brockers is at 6, which probably isn't too far off where he actually goes.

My only criticism is the Browns taking Kalil at 4. While he is certainly the best player on the board, they already have arguably the top LT in all of football in Joe Thomas, and I don't think spending the #4 overall pick on a RT would be a great option. I think they could look to move down and take someone like Richardson. Other than that I like it, good job.

Patriots could also take a flyer on Nick Toon in the second round if they choose to pick someone else at #27.

He isn't good for our system. Lacks quickness. Lacks speed. Sometimes he runs great routes, and sometimes he runs sloppy ones.

Nice mock. A lot of the picks make sense.

While I could see St louis moving down I don't think they go any further than 4 that way they are assured either Blackman or Kalil.

Brockers is at 6, which probably isn't too far off where he actually goes.

Don't know how I missed that.

Well...here I go...Obviously pre-combine, and people will plummet down the board and explode up into the first round.

I have the Redskins trading up for the second pick, and the Bengals trading up with the Cowboys to sign Richardson.
14 - CIN: Richardson, Trent - RB - Alabama
21 - CIN: Glenn, Cordy - OG - Georgia

Nice effort on the mock. I see cincy makes out very well in this mock.

I just have to think/hope that some team is going to take a flyer in the first on Tannyhill.

Cleveland could very well go after RG3 if they feel McCoy is a bust...However, what WR do they have to really help McCoy out...Maybe they will wait another year to see how he plays...(?) I just feel like RG3 in KC would be awesome. Vick vs. RG3.

Definitely going to make a second one after the Combine.

My only criticism is the Browns taking Kalil at 4. While he is certainly the best player on the board, they already have arguably the top LT in all of football in Joe Thomas, and I don't think spending the #4 overall pick on a RT would be a great option. I think they could look to move down and take someone like Richardson. Other than that I like it, good job.

Flip the Vikings and Browns picks. Vikings need OL help and the Browns desparately need a receiver although they've never had any luck drafting offensive skilled position players.

Nick Toon is garbage.

What do you guys think of Reuben Randle or Brian Quick? Both projected to be 2nd-3rd round players. Tall 6-4 athletic players.

What do you guys think of Reuben Randle or Brian Quick? Both projected to be 2nd-3rd round players. Tall 6-4 athletic players.

I like Randle, think he's got No 1 upside. Quick is probably too raw but has plenty of potential. Worried he'd just be another Taylor Price. For the Pats, my WR rankings are:

1 Joe Adams (provided we pick up someone in free agency)
2 Mohamed Sanu
3 Rueben Randle
4 Jarius Wright
5 Marvin Jones
6 Chris Givens
7 Stephen Hill (Again provided we pick up someone in free agency)

I like Randle but you never know with LSU receivers because they never have a QB capable of throwing them the ball consistently. Plus LSU is a hugely weighted run first team. You have beats like Dwayne Bowe and huge busts like Buster Davis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back