PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Murrell, Cohen, Pryor, Deaderick and Love !! (Roster battles on DL)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Murrell, Cohen, Pryor, Deaderick and Love !!

Why does this board seem to hate Love? He looked great every time I watched him play. I see a lot of potential with him, mostly as Wilfork's backup.

Here's who I think stays on DL, for what it's worth: Warren, Love, Wilfork, Pryor, Haynesworth, Ellis, Wright, A. Carter, M. Carter, Cunningham, Moore. PUP for Deaderick and Brace.

I like prediction threads. The future is always in motion and speculation is just plain fun:)

take it easy on the thread creator. He created a good speculation thread.:)

It wasn't an attack, I was honestly confused.

One of the first things I thought of when I saw this thread was.

Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock!!

There certainly will be some raw unfinished projects waiting to be picked up over the next few weeks. Hopefully they go on to have long careers in the NFC.

I think we have assume that they're going to play a 43 and start the prediction game from there.

Excluding ST players, I think there will only be 5 LBs on the roster - Mayo, Spikes, Guyton, Nink, Fletcher.

That leaves 9-10 spots for the DL:

DEs:
Locks - Ellis, Carter, Cunningham
Competition (1-2 spots) - Anderson, Moore, Deaderick

DTs:
Locks - Wiflork, Haynesworth (is he really a lock?)
Competition (2-3 spots) - Warren, Wright (concussion issues always a concern), Brace, Pryor, Love

May the best big man win!

Why does this board seem to hate Love? He looked great every time I watched him play. I see a lot of potential with him, mostly as Wilfork's backup.

Here's who I think stays on DL, for what it's worth: Warren, Love, Wilfork, Pryor, Haynesworth, Ellis, Wright, A. Carter, M. Carter, Cunningham, Moore. PUP for Deaderick and Brace.

You think we're going to carry 11 defensive linemen? No way. They can't play special teams. I say 9 tops.

My Starters
DT - V. Wilfork
DT - A. Haynesworth
DE - J. Cunningham
DE - A. Carter

Top 2 Reserves
DT S. Ellis (I think he plays there in a 4-3 doesn't he?)
DT M. Wright - Situational pass rusher. This kind of depth should
allow him to have an outstanding year

Need 3 more with 2 being de's
DE - E. Moore
DE - M. Anderson
DT - M. Pryor (Could be D. Richard)

Don't think Brace or Deaderick cut it. Don't seem to have the work ethic required. No Fat Al jokes. Weston and Cohen just not good enough. Two decent players still here would be G. Warren and K. Love. I just think they're the odd men out. Too many better veterans for G. Warren to make it. I like Pryor a little more than Love if he's healthy. I think he can rush the passer better.

You think we're going to carry 11 defensive linemen? No way. They can't play special teams. I say 9 tops.

My Starters
DT - V. Wilfork
DT - A. Haynesworth
DE - J. Cunningham
DE - A. Carter

Top 2 Reserves

DE - E. Moore
DE - M. Anderson

Don't think Brace or Deaderick cut it. Don't seem to have the work ethic required. No Fat Al jokes. Weston and Cohen just not good enough. Two decent players still here would be G. Warren and K. Love. I just think they're the odd men out. Too many better veterans for G. Warren to make it. I like Pryor a little more than Love if he's healthy. I think he can rush the passer better.

11 DL in a 4-3 is just about the same number of DL + OLB we usually keep in a 3-4...

My Starters
DT - V. Wilfork
DT - A. Haynesworth
DE - J. Cunningham
DE - A. Carter

Top 2 Reserves

DE - E. Moore
DE - M. Anderson

I am very far from convinced that we will play 43, but I'll play along.
First, we will not have 2 DEs that are 34 OLBs. We will use the same 34 personnel but play one of the OLBs with his hand on the ground if we go to a 43 (I'm talking base not nickel/dime)

So in a 43 you have this breakdown

DE Ellis, Wright, Deaderick
DT Wilfork, Brace, Love
DT Haynesworth, Warren
DE Cunningham, Moore, Carter, Anderson

Cunningham can also play the OLB spot in the 43.

When we go to sub, the 'small' DEs become the DEs on both sides and the 'big DEs' become part of the DT rotation.

11 DL in a 4-3 is just about the same number of DL + OLB we usually keep in a 3-4...
DL plus OLB in the 34 is 5 positions

DL plus OLB in the 34 is 5 positions

What? 4-3 DT + 4-3 DE = 3-4 DT + 3-4 DE + 3-4 OLB.

Forgive me if I'm regurgitating an old subject that's been brought up 100's of times before my arrival, here...But it just seems like VERY strange behavior...and I'm absolutely confounded as to why you do it. :confused:

always thought it was me who felt this way ... stay tuned for 53 final 53 predictions.

Belichick may have a final 50 or 48 but he never has a final 53 except as it relates to league policy anyways.

Last edited:

First, we will not have 2 DEs that are 34 OLBs. We will use the same 34 personnel but play one of the OLBs with his hand on the ground if we go to a 43 (I'm talking base not nickel/dime)

DT Wilfork, Brace, Love
DT Haynesworth, Warren

When we go to sub, the 'small' DEs become the DEs on both sides and the 'big DEs' become part of the DT rotation.

Your assessment of what will occur this season does not agree with what has actually happened in practice, and in the first game.

What? 4-3 DT + 4-3 DE = 3-4 DT + 3-4 DE + 3-4 OLB.
34 has 3 DL and 2 OLB
43 has 4 DL

You said we kept that many 34 DL plus OLB. They manned 5 positions.
The DL in the 43 man 4 positions.

Your assessment of what will occur this season does not agree with what has actually happened in practice, and in the first game.
And?
BB has many seasons played 43 at the start of preseason before installing the 34.
Nothing in BBs 35 year history in the NFL tells me he will play 2 260lb DEs.

DT Wilfork, Brace, Love
DT Haynesworth, Warren

If Ellis is a 4-3 starter at de. Could see Anderson/Moore battle it out for the 4th de. I see wright as a dt, not a de. I can also see Ninko playing a standup de in some sub-packages and drop back into coverage. That's why I'd have 5 dt's and only 4 de's.

If Ellis is a 4-3 starter at de. Could see Anderson/Moore battle it out for the 4th de. I see wright as a dt, not a de. I can also see Ninko playing a standup de in some sub-packages and drop back into coverage. That's why I'd have 5 dt's and only 4 de's.
I think Wright is a DE in the 43 or 34 and a DT in the sub. I cannot see him playing inside over the G in a base defense, but I like him there in the sub. He would be a liability in there vs the run, and we have Wilfork, Haynesorth, Brace and Warren who are all much better suited to play DT in a base.
I don't see Anderson playing any snaps in the base, but being a situational pass rusher. You left out Carter, who IMO is a much better all around DE than Anderson. Moore is interesting, we haven't really seen enough to know. Of course if Cunnigham is playing somewhere and if (which I doubt) we are playing a base 43, I think its more likely DE than OLB.

We certainly have a lot of depth.
We probably should be spearating them between base and sub, because I think there will be big difference in who is on the DL situationally.

Example:

Base
Ellis Wilfork Haynesworth Cunningham

Sub
Carter Wright Pryor Anderson

I could see Ellis, Wilfork, Haynesworth getting some snaps in the sub at DT, as well as Cunningham at DE. But the 'starters' in the base and sub could be 8 different players.

And?
BB has many seasons played 43 at the start of preseason before installing the 34.
Nothing in BBs 35 year history in the NFL tells me he will play 2 260lb DEs.

If that's your reasoning, I can see there is no point in discussing it. So I won't. Goodbye.

I think Wright is a DE in the 43 or 34 and a DT in the sub. I cannot see him playing inside over the G in a base defense, but I like him there in the sub. He would be a liability in there vs the run, and we have Wilfork, Haynesorth, Brace and Warren who are all much better suited to play DT in a base.
I don't see Anderson playing any snaps in the base, but being a situational pass rusher. You left out Carter, who IMO is a much better all around DE than Anderson. Moore is interesting, we haven't really seen enough to know. Of course if Cunnigham is playing somewhere and if (which I doubt) we are playing a base 43, I think its more likely DE than OLB.

We certainly have a lot of depth.
We probably should be spearating them between base and sub, because I think there will be big difference in who is on the DL situationally.

Example:

Base
Ellis Wilfork Haynesworth Cunningham

Sub
Carter Wright Pryor Anderson

I could see Ellis, Wilfork, Haynesworth getting some snaps in the sub at DT, as well as Cunningham at DE. But the 'starters' in the base and sub could be 8 different players.

I had A. Carter starting in previous post in this thread. Mike Wright played NG last year when BB moved Wilfork to LDE a couple of times. I know he's not good vs the run. But, he can't set the edge as a 4-3 end either. A situational pass-rusher from the DT position.

Luv ya Andy. But, come on man!! We have 22 bleepin defensive linemen in camp. And about 6-7 lb's with NFL experience. Do the math!! We're a 4-3 team on 1st down. Then, 4-2-5. We could play 4-2-5 against some times on 1st down if we think we can stop their running game like; SD, Indy and Philly.

I think that this analysis is correct. Obviously injuries can change things over the next three weeks. I would not be at all surprised to see an addition from another team and/or Brace make the final 53, but this is where I think we are.

I too have 9-10 roster spots in the secondary.

The PROJECTED 15 FRONT SEVEN PLAYERS AS OF AUGUST 11
==============
ILB (4) Mayo, Spikes, Guyton, Fletcher
LB/ST (1) White
DE/OLB (5) Ellis, Carter, Cunningham, Moore, Ninkovich
DT (5) Wilfork, Haynsworth, Wright, Warren, Pryor
PUP (2) Brace, Deaderick
OUT/PS Love, M. Carter, Murrell, Anderson, Richard, Weston

I think we have assume that they're going to play a 43 and start the prediction game from there.

Excluding ST players, I think there will only be 5 LBs on the roster - Mayo, Spikes, Guyton, Nink, Fletcher.

That leaves 9-10 spots for the DL:

DEs:
Locks - Ellis, Carter, Cunningham
Competition (1-2 spots) - Anderson, Moore, Deaderick

DTs:
Locks - Wiflork, Haynesworth (is he really a lock?)
Competition (2-3 spots) - Warren, Wright (concussion issues always a concern), Brace, Pryor, Love

May the best big man win!

I think that this analysis is correct. Obviously injuries can change things over the next three weeks. I would not be at all surprised to see an addition from another team and/or Brace make the final 53, but this is where I think we are.

I too have 9-10 roster spots in the secondary.

The PROJECTED 15 FRONT SEVEN PLAYERS AS OF AUGUST 11
==============
ILB (4) Mayo, Spikes, Guyton, Fletcher
LB/ST (1) White
DE/OLB (5) Ellis, Carter, Cunningham, Moore, Ninkovich
DT (5) Wilfork, Haynsworth, Wright, Warren, Pryor
PUP (2) Brace, Deaderick
OUT/PS Love, M. Carter, Murrell, Anderson, Richard, Weston

No M. Pryor? I have him adead of G. Warren. We need one young dt don't we? I don't see Brace or Deaderick making it. I feel we over-rate E. Moore a bit since he was on the team last year. Mark Anderson has a much more accomplished career and can get after the qb. I see him beating out Mr. Moore. Other than those 2 agree with everything else. I think we have 15 guys up front. And 10 db's .

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft