PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mother Of All Collapses Reaches Catastrophic Conclusion

It's now the curse of Manny Ramirez. Since trading Manny to LA the Sox got beat in game 7 of the ALCS to the Rays, and now an epic fail where they got beat out by the Rays. Trading Manny will haunt this team for the next 50 years!!

if it was the "curse of manny ramirez" it would be on the rays because he got busted and "retired" with them. of course there's no curse but i just hate having ex-padres on my team. now there's a loser franchise. francona's gotta go. what he did with the roster theo handed him was truly despicable. injuries to key personnel didn't help, but have you seen tampa's roster.

Here's to the Pats. Been a tough week for Boston Sports fans and hopefully the boys of Foxboro can turn that around with a big win this week.

BB will make the needed adjustments and I personally think he fires up the D with all the criticism they have recieved this week.

/trying to look for something

Not to be a pain, but doesn't this belong on the Red Sox forum, not the main Patriots forum?

red sox 86 world series did that, actually

weren't they up 3 games to 2 in the actual world series?

that trumps any blown game lead in a non world series ...series

Wrong. Blowing a 3-0 lead is worse than blowing a 3-2 lead.

But I am not surprised that a San Diego fan wouldn't understand that.

I don't think Tito has to go. He is the best manager this franchise has had, ever. That is not me talking, those are the words of some of Boston's best baseball writers and historians. He gets Boston. In the public (ie in front of the media) he is a players manager but more than one person has mentioned that behind closed doors he is very different. He knows how to protect his players from the blinding light that can be the expectations (demands?) of Boston fans.

Theo has taken on some bad contracts. I think we will find out that at least one or two of these were management pushing for a "splash". Sean McAdam has mentioned, and someone on WEEI has echoed, that when they signed Lackey it was because they wanted the "best pitcher on the market". It didn't matter if it was Roy Halladay or me. They were going to get him. Well, the best free agent pitcher was Lackey. Forget he had pretty bad numbers at Fenway and is a lightning rod for criticism because of his on mound antics. Ownership just had to have him.

I give Crawford two years, just like I would any other free agent coming here from a small market team. It is a huge adjustment and I really wonder if he has an issue with his vision. He was never this bad of a fielder or hitter in Tampa and it isn't a ballpark thing for him. He has had success all over the AL when with Tampa. Besides, fielding stats, particularly of outfielders, do not just drop off a cliff like he did this year.

Oh well, what is done is done. The team can go back to what is important. Putting cruddy programming on NESN (save for the B's), selling bricks, singing Sweet Caroline, inflating their sellout streak, manufacturing more pink hats and jerseys, and not resigning Orsillo, Heidi, or other members of the broadcast team.

Is this football talk?

Same old Red Sox.

They caught lighting in a bottle and won 2 Championships. Big deal.

lol i dont think so. up 3 to 0 and losing a alcs is much worse. there is only one team in the long history of baseball to accomplish such a choke and that alone is the yankee cross to bear. 86 doesn't come close to 04.

Last edited:
Same old Red Sox.

They caught lighting in a bottle and won 2 Championships. Big deal.

That would make sense if they had won two in succession and hadn't had any success before or since.

03-Lost in 7 games in ALCS
04-Won World Series
05-Lost in divisional round
07-Won World Series
08-Lost in 7 games in ALCS
09-Lost in divisional round

It's not like they haven't been to the post season or haven't been above .500 aside from those two years. I know a lot of Patriots fans don't like the big fuss made of the Red Sox, and yes it is nauseating at times, but they have been pretty darn consistent over a long stretch here. I believe the last time they were below .500 was 1997 and they've been to the playoffs 8 times since then. In a sport where there are only two spots for them to qualify for (division champ or wild card) that is pretty good.

They were to banged up to do any damage in the playoffs anyhow, this just ended the misery earlier rather than later.
+1 and this is pretty much how I feel. Over the past week it was painfully obviously that only 3 possible scenarios were even remotely possible:

1) The season ends Wednesday against Baltimore
2) The season ends Thursday against Tampa Bay
3) The season ends early next week against Texas/Detroit

I don't really see any one of the above as significantly better or worse than any of the others.

To me, 2011 still ranks far below 1978 because in 1978, the NY-Boston 1 game playoff was a game between the MLB's 2 best teams which would determine that year's World Series Champion. Last night's Bos-TB drama will ultimately be little more than a footnote en route to the World Series between Philly and either NY or Detroit.

Last edited:

I disagree. Teams have blown 3-2 World Series leads before, but for a baseball team to blow a 3-0 lead is unprecedented.

Used to be a die hard red sox fan grew up listening to curt gowdy on my transistor radio, but have morphed to more of a casual fan.. the game is way too slow, too technical and has lost a lot of its overall enjoyment.
Once again my good friend and colleague, Darryl the Wise, hits the nail right on the head.

The length of baseball games has gotten ridiculously out of hand. I used to be a really big baseball fan but the sport has lost me with how ridiculously slow it has become. There was actually a Sunday night Red Sox - Yankees game from this season (which I didn't watch) that took 4 hours to play. Did it go extras innings? Maybe it was an 11-10 slugfest? Nope! Just a routine, low scoring game that you had to stay up past midnight to see end.

Over the past decade or so, I've gone from hardcore fan to casual fan. And several people I know have gone from casual fans to "how are the Red Sox doing this year?"

Last edited:
Please stop with the "curse" BS. Leave that to Shank Shaughnessy.
+1. OK, I'll grant you that "The Curse of the Bambino" was cute and original. But these days it's pathetic how people feel the need to assign a "curse" every time something happens.
Fact: the RS weren't good enough. They didn't deserve it. As I mentioned on the Red Sox board, I believe that the NY/TB game was the first confirmed instance of a major league team "throwing" a game since the 1919 Black Sox. Not that it would have made a difference down the road.
The Red Sox have no one to blame but themselves. I don't care what NY may or may not have happened in Tampa last night.

No F'n way. No team in the history of baseball ever lost a series after being up 3-0. That is the history of the game. Not until the Yankees blew it.

No F'n way. No team in the history of baseball ever lost a series after being up 3-0. That is the history of the game. Not until the Yankees blew it.

To put it in its proper perspective.

Were 3-0 up with a one run lead in the ninth and had the best closer in the business EVER to close the game out and still lost 4-3.

Thats a bit more accurate

To put it in its proper perspective.

Were 3-0 up with a one run lead in the ninth and had the best closer in the business EVER to close the game out and still lost 4-3.

Thats a bit more accurate

Cool. How many times has that happened?

You hear the latest? Sox pitcher drinking beer during games. Youk doesn't know if he's allowed to speak out.....................Anyone remember a rookie with the Sox in 67? Veteran players were laughing in the dugout over an error on the field. Tony C. "no wonder you guys always lose".

You hear the latest? Sox pitcher drinking beer during games. Youk doesn't know if he's allowed to speak out.....................Anyone remember a rookie with the Sox in 67? Veteran players were laughing in the dugout over an error on the field. Tony C. "no wonder you guys always lose".

ya, that is the main problem with this Sox team. People like Youk, Papi, Tek etc. are all suppose to be great leaders, but they never step up and lead. A leader would have stepped up and said something. when was the last time the sox had a plyers only meeting...not is years. This team is talented, but are really a fraud. I would much rather follow a team of no names that scratch and claw for every win. A team that give it their all like the Rays. This collection of ball players is an ambarassment and it needs to be cleaned up. Tito is gone, and the next guy to go should be Theo. Promote Ben Cherington to GM, hire a manager, and start trading these useless money whores for some kids that want to play baseball. Beckett, Lackey, Youk, Papi need to go. I would go after Prince Fielder as the DH. Say what you want about him, but he is a great ball player that actually like to play the game.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back