PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mortensen: Mangini favorite for Browns' head coach, then would hire Kokinis as GM

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't stand Ratgini, Mangina (my favorite), Tubby Ratfink.....or any of the myriad and deserved names for this piece of slime that is not worthy to clean with his tongue the clingers on Tomass's sprinkled choclate donut passing arsehole.

That being said, remember that BB did not fare that well in his first HC job. Maybe the traitorous one will learn from his mistakes and a fresh start will do him a world of good. I hope not.
yup and iam sure a lot of pats fans went nuts when kraft gave up a 1st round pick to get BB.

I think it's a little strange that the Brownies are going after another Ravens front office guy and a former Pats DC. It's as if the Browns can let go of the past with the old Browns going to Baltimore and winning a SB added with the success of Belichick. Just let it go and go in a different direction.

Count me among those baffled by these reports that Mangini is being pursued with so much vigor.

Why?

How can any owner have confidence in a coach who - just in this season -

- bids out other teams to sign an aging NFC QB - quite possibly on his last year - who actually makes tons of mistakes on field but enjoys a good public image thanks to the media who think he is 'having fun'
- cuts the more experienced QB
- sidelines the QB who played last season
- set back the teams QB situation due to the above decisions
- created potential cap issues for the team due to more questionable signings
- dealt immaturedly with seasoned players before cutting them early in the season (which in turn reveals how much he bet keeping just this season in mind and ignored the implications down the line)
- and after all this, led the team to the third position in the division, far behind the hated rivals who, in spite of losing their QB and many starters, were tied for the first position.

Give me a frigging break.

I can understand if the poorly performing teams are trying to interview him as a DC or a side role. But as a HC? Guess I can confidentally bet that these teams will continue their losing streak for the next couple of seasons.

Oh, btw, what happened to the theories that he 'ratted' out the Pats and so would be avoided by all? Proves that it is just business as usual that doesn't take into account sentiments. Which is quite fine, but signing Mangini as a HC is certainly not a good business judgement IMO.

yup and iam sure a lot of pats fans went nuts when kraft gave up a 1st round pick to get BB.

I am not sure most of pats nation was jumping up and down at the time.

Spygate aside, this guy showed little, if any, ability to discern the subtle areas of head coaching and at the end outright choked with his on-field decisions. Mangina, Brady Quinn and the Browns' owner - now that's a troika made in heaven for the future. Good luck. If Scott Pioli hitches his wagon to those three stars, I'll willingly admit that I have no idea what really compels public figures to make the decisions they do.

I have to believe that one of Pioli's "extreme" damands was that if he comes, he will not be saddled with Mangini as a coach. Even though Pioli and Mangini have connections (Mark Shapiro is Pioli's best friend and Mangini's brother-in-law), I cannot believe that Pioli wants to work with Mangini.

Count me among those baffled by these reports that Mangini is being pursued with so much vigor.

Why?

How can any owner have confidence in a coach who - just in this season -

- bids out other teams to sign an aging NFC QB - quite possibly on his last year - who actually makes tons of mistakes on field but enjoys a good public image thanks to the media who think he is 'having fun'
- cuts the more experienced QB
- sidelines the QB who played last season
- set back the teams QB situation due to the above decisions
- created potential cap issues for the team due to more questionable signings
- dealt immaturedly with seasoned players before cutting them early in the season (which in turn reveals how much he bet keeping just this season in mind and ignored the implications down the line)
- and after all this, led the team to the third position in the division, far behind the hated rivals who, in spite of losing their QB and many starters, were tied for the first position.

Give me a frigging break.

I can understand if the poorly performing teams are trying to interview him as a DC or a side role. But as a HC? Guess I can confidentally bet that these teams will continue their losing streak for the next couple of seasons.

Oh, btw, what happened to the theories that he 'ratted' out the Pats and so would be avoided by all? Proves that it is just business as usual that doesn't take into account sentiments. Which is quite fine, but signing Mangini as a HC is certainly not a good business judgement IMO.

Hasn't it been floated that Mangini didn't want Favre - that he was forced on him by Tannenbaum and ownership to attract seat-license revenue? That being said, Mangini obviously did not like Pennington and did not know how to use him correctly. How will he ever straighten out the Brown's QB mess?

It's curious indeed that the Browns would even consider Mangini. As someone said above, it's like they can't let go of the past and it is a requirement that you were once a member of the young BB coaching staff back in the day before you can get an interview. Since nobody has done particularly well since leaving BB, you wonder how they can keep returning to that well.

On whether other teams would "touch" Mangini after Spygate, who, other than the hapless Browns is said to be pursuing him? Any chance the Browns are "floating" Mangini as their top choice to pressure Pioli (whom I am sure would not work with Mangini) to make a decision sooner?

I wish all these vacancies would get filled already so we could move on to next season with whomever is going to be here.

And a once great franchise continues its downward spiral. I just hope that Scott has the sense to stay away.

Hasn't it been floated that Mangini didn't want Favre - that he was forced on him by Tannenbaum and ownership to attract seat-license revenue? That being said, Mangini obviously did not like Pennington and did not know how to use him correctly. How will he ever straighten out the Brown's QB mess?

It's curious indeed that the Browns would even consider Mangini. As someone said above, it's like they can't let go of the past and it is a requirement that you were once a member of the young BB coaching staff back in the day before you can get an interview. Since nobody has done particularly well since leaving BB, you wonder how they can keep returning to that well.

On whether other teams would "touch" Mangini after Spygate, who, other than the hapless Browns is said to be pursuing him? Any chance the Browns are "floating" Mangini as their top choice to pressure Pioli (whom I am sure would not work with Mangini) to make a decision sooner?

I wish all these vacancies would get filled already so we could move on to next season with whomever is going to be here.

Just addressing the "Mangin not wanting Favre" point.

That's certainly Mangini's most recent spin as he tries to get hired in Cleveland. The Rat has his allies out there this weekend saying that he was ready to run a ball control offense with Chad or Clemens when Woody foisted Gunslinger Favre on him to sell his PSL's, thereby throwing out an entire Offseason of planning. But, then how does Mangenius explain that he gave his newborn son the middle name "Brett" in honor of this guy that he supposedly didn't want?

Last edited:
Did he really named his newborn son after Brett? Oh my god. And now the spin is he never wanted him? You've got to be kidding me.

Sadly, it takes a lot to get kicked off the coaching carousel. He had a good year with the Jets once and they probably think he ripened due to the experience. Or maybe the Browns feel the Jets management made Mangini's job too hard to do well. It's not like the Jets incompetence is a secret (of course, same goes for the Browns).

Just addressing the "Mangin not wanting Favre" point. But, then how does Mangenius explain that he gave his newborn son the middle name "Brett" in honor of this guy that he supposedly didn't want?

Agreed. Of course Ratface wanted Favre.

Add me to the list of those wanting these vacancies filled. If Scott and Josh want to move on then I wish them well but wish they would hurry their decisions. I do think Mr Kraft is quite prepared for both to leave.

Let me say that I agree with Rodney. This is from NFL GameDay

“If you look at our team right now, there are a lot of moving parts and a lot of question marks, but I don’t think you can ever question Bill Belichick, who is the brains and the mastermind behind the entire organization.” — Harrison on the current state of the New England Patriots.

ESPN - Eric Mangini emerging as Cleveland Browns' top candidate for coach

Sources: Mangini had 'compelling' interview
By Chris Mortensen
ESPN.com
(Archive)
Updated: January 3, 2009, 2:36 PM ET

Eric Mangini, fired on Monday by the New York Jets, is emerging as the favorite to become the next head coach of the Cleveland Browns, team and league sources said Saturday.

The Browns have continued their search process, interviewing other candidates, but sources say Mangini had a "compelling" interview and owner Randy Lerner is fascinated with him.

If Mangini gets the job to replace the fired Romeo Crennel, the favorite to become the team's general manager is George Kokinis, who is the director of pro personnel for the Baltimore Ravens, the sources said.

Kokinis and Mangini each were members of the Browns organization when Bill Belichick was coach. Mangini formally joined the staff as an assistant coach in 1995. Kokinis was a scout from 1991 to 1995 before moving with the team to Baltimore.

Scott Pioli, the Patriots' executive vice president of player personnel, has been considered the favorite for the GM job, but sources say his demands were "extreme," and Lerner is hesitant to accept the terms unless there is some level of compromise.

Our own BPF mentioned Kokinis in his post from Thursday, but as a potential replacement if Pioli leaves.
Apparently Lerner got my memo ... :D

Last edited:
ProFootballTalk.com - BROWNS GET PERMISSION TO INTERVIEW KOKINIS
BROWNS GET PERMISSION TO INTERVIEW KOKINIS
Posted by Mike Florio on January 4, 2009, 6:43 p.m. EST
Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports that the Browns have requested and received permission to interview Ravens director of pro personnel George Kokinis for the vacant General Manager position.

The move bolsters reports that Browns owner Randy Lerner is (as FOX’s Jay Glazer put it) “in love with” former Jets coach Eric Mangini, since the reports indicate that Kokinis would be Mangini’s top pick to serve in the G.M. role.

Though Pats V.P. of player personnel Scott Pioli remains by all accounts Lerner’s preference, Cabot reports that things could change — quickly — if Lerner takes a shine to Kokinis.

While the Browns are permitted to interview Kokinis under a new rule that allows a non-high-level front-office employee to be interviewed before his team’s playoff run ends, Kokinis can’t be hired until the Ravens finish their current season.

It remains to be seen whether Browns fans take a shine to what one league source called a potential Groundhog Day arrangement, with Lerner hiring another former Patriots defensive coordinator and another Ravens executive.

Lerner must be a major league idiot if he hires Mangini and lets him pick the GM.

So, after letting Belichick go, the Broowns are looking for redemption and hoping for some Belichickian magic with Mangini?

Oops, sorry, different Browns team... :D

So do you think he's poaching from the Jets staff? Man, next year, the J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS are gonna be an M-E-S-S MESS MESS MESS!

The Jets are considering their OC Brian Schottenheimer and their OL coach Bill Callahan for the head job and if I'm not mistaken they have all of their assistants currently under contract so Mangini would have to offer them a higher position.

I was one of them.

I was wrong.

Ratboy isn't BB.

Lerner must be a major league idiot if he hires Mangini and lets him pick the GM.
He is an idiot for just considering it.

Worst thing is that if Ratboy goes to the Browns, I'll have to be a Steeler fan two weeks every year :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3