PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

More Borges Plagiarism

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just because you move a few words around it can still be plagiarism. He can probably use a limited amount of material verbatim also, that's why the disclaimer.

It's not cut and dried.

I agree it's not cut and dried (see my earlier post) but he's not allowed to use any words verbatim unless he cites the source.

Come on. Those two examples are crimes. With victims.

Plagairism is a victimless crime, other than perhaps the original writer. But to compare that to a theft victim or a child abuse victim?

Plaigarism is not appropriate. It's taking a short cut at work, and we expect more of public figures. I don't have any problem with that. But why is it so hard to admit that we're happy we got a "gotcha" on a guy who we can't stand because of what he writes?

Honesty is a virtue too.

I think he's talking about the communal effect of plagiarism. If everyone is plagiarizing, then the person doing the hard work isn't getting the credit. That screws things up bigtime especially in a society that relies on information, or in school where some people actually believe that learning and individual initiative is good.

The victim is really the public that reads the work of the journalist.

Is everyone here really that bothered by plagiarism?

I mean, it's not right and all, and it's definitely not within the spirit of the community in which he writes. But can we at least admit that none of us is really that bothered by Borges' plagairism. We're just happy about it because we don't like his content, and so it's a big gotcha.

Some of the moral indignancy about plagairism though strikes me as a bit disingenuous. If a writer whose content I liked got a two month suspension for this kind of plagairism, I'd be ok with that. Calling for this guy's hide has a lot less to do with his plagairism and a lot more to do with his crazy agenda, and we should at least be honest about that.
I am bothered by it. Why wouldn't any one be bothered? It's cheating and it's wrong.

As much I dislike Borges, and am glad he was suspended, this is not clear cut plagiarism. The Beat writers have an organization where they pool their stories for the purpose of the Notes section of their articles. This latest example was not a verbatim rewrite of what Mike Sando wrote.

You're kidding me right?

This has got to be the most confused post I've read on the boards so far. You can't put some apostrophes and "the"'s and "and"'s in someone elses work and sell it to people. This would have got him suspended/expelled from any credible college. The problem here is that I have no choice but to assume Borges saw Sando's work, and copied it and the fact that he added minor differences proves this was just not a minor oversight on his part. I could almost understand if he copied something to his document and neglected to paraphrase it (I couldn't accept it from a professional) but he took something and added "Indianapolis" and "Sr" "Jr", and thought this was acceptable.

This is the same as what he was JUST suspended for. I followed the articles sources and verified them myself to be sure. This is the 2nd case of blatant plagiarism. I don't see how Borges does not get fired.

I'm being totally honest now when I read a Borges article at this point I'm always going to consider his sources. This hurts him a lot. I'm biased in the fact that I don't like Borges anyway surely, but I don't see how any Globe reader could not consider the authenticity of his writing at this point.

Fire Borges. Plain and simple.

Beat the Press, the WGBH TV program with Emily Rooney had a piece on their show last night about more Borges plagiarism. They also summarized it on their blog last night. This was also stolen from the same writer, Mike Sando. Here is the blog article:

http://blog.greaterboston.tv/

J D Sal

Where is the coverage in print on the Borges issue? There was enough room in both papers to report a possible 2nd love child for brady. Where is an article on any other following
- Sando
- Seattlestatman
- Comments from Ron's foes(Carroll, BB, NY Post Boxing writer) which would be mostly no comment but would reiterate the conflicts over the years.
- Borges relationship with the fans
- Opinion pieces on whether he should still have a HOF vote

Why is the Herald not touching any of these things?

Come on. Those two examples are crimes. With victims.

Plagairism is a victimless crime, other than perhaps the original writer. But to compare that to a theft victim or a child abuse victim?

Plaigarism is not appropriate. It's taking a short cut at work, and we expect more of public figures. I don't have any problem with that. But why is it so hard to admit that we're happy we got a "gotcha" on a guy who we can't stand because of what he writes?

Honesty is a virtue too.
I'll admit that ... I want to "get" Ron Borges. He is a di*k and now it turns out he is a cheater too. He beat up a guy in a wheelchair. He changes his story from one day to the next to suit his agenda. He deserves to be fired, and whether it for plagarism or because his bosses finally realize he has no commitment to the truth, I don't really care.

Where is the coverage in print on the Borges issue? There was enough room in both papers to report a possible 2nd love child for brady. Where is an article on any other following
- Sando
- Seattlestatman
- Comments from Ron's foes(Carroll, BB, NY Post Boxing writer) which would be mostly no comment but would reiterate the conflicts over the years.
- Borges relationship with the fans
- Opinion pieces on whether he should still have a HOF vote

Why is the Herald not touching any of these things?

CHFF did a follow-up on Seattlestatman:
http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Article.php?Page=1363

Also, a reader on the website sportsjournalist.com says that Borges was fired by Ring magazine in the 1990s for submitting to the magazine the same stories he had written for the Boston Globe.

The editor of Ring visited Boston one day and saw a Borges article about boxing. Two weeks later the same article came across his desk, right from Borges:
http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/index.php/topic,38382.125.html

There's a lot more to this than just last week's column.

OK I'll say it, Borges is a scumbag and the only real reason people around here care about this plagiarism issue is because it gives us a chance to stick it to him.

I think the plagiarism issue points to deeper character flaws however, the 2 are not mutually exclusive.

Plagiarism is lazy and dishonest and it is pathetic that someone who gets paid a lot of money to be a columnist is doing this crap. Borges writes fiction based on his own agenda. Based on the the total lack of honesty is his constant diatribes against the Pats, I am not surprised at all that he did this. He's a hack who has no place in journalism.

CHFF did a follow-up on Seattlestatman:
http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Article.php?Page=1363

Also, a reader on the website sportsjournalist.com says that Borges was fired by Ring magazine in the 1990s for submitting to the magazine the same stories he had written for the Boston Globe.

The editor of Ring visited Boston one day and saw a Borges article about boxing. Two weeks later the same article came across his desk, right from Borges:
http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/index.php/topic,38382.125.html

There's a lot more to this than just last week's column.

Hi Jolly
That is kind of my point, it is being covered on the internet but why nothing in print. I can think of 10 different angle's on this story that you think someone would have written abbout. EEI and the print guys don't want to talk about it and make fun of the bloggers for making an issue out of it.

Here is Kevin Paul Dupont's opening line in today's globe

"As unions go, you can't find a better bunch of corporate clowns than the NHL leadership -- you remember, the Just Say No Players Association."

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/articles/2007/03/11/leadership_on_thin_ice_again/

I read the whole article, did not see a thing about the writer's union defending Ron.

The writers are always complaining, especially Ron, that BB does not say anything after tough losses. Well, at least he shows up in the room, where is Ron to face the writers on his suspension? Where are the other writers saying that he needs to step up and explain himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News