PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Money Pool for Mathematically Eliminated Teams?

Status
Not open for further replies.

newton_tom_cat

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
I've often thought the most difficult thing to do in team sports is to play a football game when you're out of playoff contention. Think of all the preparation that goes into a football game - way more than baseball, hockey and basketball. And think of how much more physical and draining a football game is too. Plus there's a much higher chance of getting injured too.

It always seems rather pointless to me when you have teams playing with no chance at post-season. Will anyone really care nexy year if Falcons finish 4 & 12 or 5 & 11 this year? Really by winning they are only hurting themselves in draft position.

So I am thinking one way to provide some incentive when teams have been eliminated is to have a pool for all teams mathematically eliminated by week 13 (i.e. after each team has played 12 games.) Give players and coaches money depending on how well they do those last 4 games. Have 1st, 2nd and 3rd place money. And use a modified tie-breaker system to settle ties.

Giving teams an incentive to keep playing when they're out will also help make it more fair to other teams who played them earlier in the season when the game meant something, when teams they're competing against get to play them later in the year when they've already checked out.

This league has a boat-load of money. And the pool doesn't have to be off the charts. Just something respectable so they have something to play for. Be easy for NFL to put out a $2 million dollar pool for 1st, 2nd and 3rd. Winning team gets $1,200,000, 2nd place $500,000 and 3rd $300,000. If distributed among 60 guys that's $20,000, $8,330 and $5,000 per man. Believe me these guys will care about $20G 1st place money. Added meaning and quality of play probably pays for the $2 million in added ticket sales.

What do you all think?

Last edited:
Players and coaches are often playing hard. 4-12 vs 5-11 can be the difference between a coach being retained or fired. Plus there is pride.

Do you think $20k would add any incentive to a Jets player tommorow or a Dolphin player. They want to win for the win.

And often teams will play rockies or 2nd year players who are now playing for a job next year or the size of their contract.

Players and coaches are often playing hard. 4-12 vs 5-11 can be the difference between a coach being retained or fired. Plus there is pride.

Do you think $20k would add any incentive to a Jets player tommorow or a Dolphin player. They want to win for the win.

And often teams will play rockies or 2nd year players who are now playing for a job next year or the size of their contract.

i totally think they'd play for $20G's. and i totally dont think they're playing for "pride." because NO ONE CARES if you finish 3 & 13 or 4 & 12. either record stinks. and i totally think you bring pride back into the picture if theres something on the line, like $20Gs

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes