PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

MMQB - Light's take on life after football

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am talking about competition....did bruce armstrong played against say a freeney,taylor ,shobel twice every year.speed and power.

Other than a playoff year, Light wasn't playing twice per year against Freeney.

For Armstrong, off the top of my head in the AFC East, I could name Bruce Smith, Joe Klecko, Marc Gastineau, Hugh Green.....and he didn't play with the quickest release QB in history either. Other than Grogan, you should have seen the list of decision-making challenged jamokes who QB'ed the Pats during Armstrong's time - - including the great Bledsoe who took at least a second more per play to unload.

Armstrong and Leon Gray were the Pats' two best LT's.

Light is a respectable 3rd and an argument could very well be made for 2nd because of longevity vs. Gray.

Last edited:
...Light was never an all pro talent, although he played at close to that level on occasion and in particular during his final season. He acknowledged that perhaps it was due to the realization that it would be that. He became however a very competent and consistent player at a position of significance in a supremely well coached HOF QB'd offense for a decade - and that's nothing to sneeze or sneer at and also something worth noting, as he did... We can only hope his young successor does at least as well. He's probably got a little more upside since he's a tad more talented and athletic, but being that guy is not always primarily what serves you best at the next level. It's how hard you work and how hard the guys around you work and how talented they are that generally allows half of these arguments to commence... There have not been a lot of HOF talents playing in their prime during this incredible decade plus run, but a lot of guys who as a team played well enough to pave the road to becoming a dynasty franchise. Matt seems to think the blueprint is etched in stone as long as Bill and Bob and perhaps Tom remain at the helm.

Light was an All-Pro in 2007

Last edited:
Rappaport has a nice take up. Good to see a mediot admit a guy flumoxed him for a long time but he now gets it.

Light loved his teammates. He loved the on-field challenge of his individual task, which was shutting down the game’s best. He worked incredibly hard at it. Yet Light brushed away getting beat better than any player I’ve talked to, often saying, “Yup, I screwed up. It happens.” He had other parts of his life that were important — his family, his faith, his charity — so he never took it to heart. That made him so productive. He didn’t dwell on mistakes.

The first time I walked into L Street Tavern, a South Boston staple and my favorite bar in the history of the world, I ran into a Patriots fan (who knew). The first thing he told me after I had just taken the job covering the Patriots for the Boston Herald? You need to write about how Matt Light sucks. He’d given up some sacks in 2008, like every left tackle, and so many just formed that opinion. It was, thus, no shock when I found how under-appreciated he was. Only now are fans embracing his success. Light didn’t seem to mind. It was part of the deal, just like getting beat was. He didn’t live and die by football, so it doesn’t seem he lived and died by criticism. He didn’t listen to talk radio, anyway. Football was just his job.

And so, Light was complicated and simple. Like I said, a paradox.

Looking back at the unlikely career of Patriots LT Matt Light, Tom Brady’s bodyguard - NFL.com

Classy guy, and a heck of a public speaker.
I wonder what Kraft has planned for the up comming Matt Light days?

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back