PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mike Reiss picks Aqib Talib on ESPN's mock draft

Status
Not open for further replies.
The difference between the names you just spouted off and Cromartie is that they were productive on the DI level. Cromartie lacks numbers at the DI-AA level (or FCS, whatever it's called now), and a number of scouts have commented on concerns over his lack of coachability and the fact that he was burned alarmingly often at such a low level of competition. He's fast and athletic, but it takes more than that to be a football player, especially one worthy of a top-10 overall pick. Cromartie is a gamble amongst gambles. It's either home run or bust, and I think with this type of player, the high probability lies on the bust side (look at Andre Woolfolk, a similarly raw athletic talent who was out of football within 3 years of being taken in the 1st round who had at least played at Oklahoma). Not what you're looking for in the top 10, and not with a team who has a glaring hole in the secondary that needs to be filled right now.

I hear you, but youve gotta understand its a whole lot easier for guys like Ware or Roethlisberger, or even Jerry Rice, TO, or Walter Payton for that matter, to put up #s at the lower level given their positions. You dont put up #s at CB, no matter the level, and especially when youre the best player on the field and teams throw away from you. And as Id said, he probably got a little lazy as a result of a few of those elements. But Im not projecting that kid to be our pick anyway, especially at 7, so Im not real worried about it. He'll no doubt get picked extremely high by someone like the Lions after we either make a better pick or trade down.

I am hoping that we draft Talib, just not at #7. I would like to see us drop down past #10 and snag him.

I wonder if his last name was Smith if fans would be so hyped up over Cromartie.

I wonder if his last name was Smith if fans would be so hyped up over Cromartie.

I wonder the same thing. Than again would either Manning have gone so high with a different name?

Pedigree should go both ways. He may rise because of the name but you also have to feel a little better about the guy because you know its in his blood.

Last edited:
he's only the cousin to a player who had a good 10 games. I don't get all the DRC love at 7 either. if Ellis or Ryan is still there we are more then likely trading out to a team that wants a DT or QB and there are quite a few teams that want that postion then we can get a player at a better value

Here's his explanation.

ESPN mock draft
Posted by Mike Reiss, Globe Staff March 14, 2008 11:30 AM
Just finished a taping for ESPN2's "First Take" program in which a writer from each NFL city takes part in a mock draft. Today was the Patriots' turn, with pick No. 7.

The draft had gone this way leading up to the pick:

1) Dolphins -- DE Chris Long (Virginia)

2) Rams -- OL Jake Long (Michigan)

3) Falcons -- DT Glenn Dorsey (LSU)

4) Raiders -- DE Vernon Gholston (Ohio State)

5) Chiefs -- DT Sedrick Ellis (USC)

6) Jets -- RB Darren McFadden (Arkansas)

Before making the pick, a few questions were asked: What is the Patriots' top need? What would be another big need? What type of strategy might the Patriots employ to fill those needs?

I went with cornerback as the top need. Linebacker was listed as another big need. In terms of strategy, the economic aspect of the pick was brought up and that a probable strategy is that the Patriots would seemingly like to trade down and accumulate picks later in the draft.

But since no trade was allowed as part of the format, the pick ended up being Kansas CB Aqib Talib. Other considerations were CB Leodis McKelvin (Troy) and LB Keith Rivers (USC).

Here's his explanation.

When you see the way it broke down you see that we were in an obvious trade scenario.

The other thing I find interesting is that if you factor that someone may trade up for Ryan than one of those six may fall to us and if it is one of the 6 who is not a DT than we should be happy around here.

I would not be really all that surprised to see Ryan take a Brady Quinn/Aaron Rodgers like fall on draft day.

just saw it on ESPN. :(

BAD PICK REISS!

DRC!!!! >>>>>>>>>>> Talib

Actually, Reiss just picked one of the current Top corners the Pats really like and DRC is not among them. By Top, I'm mean 4-5.

Last edited:
Some guys just dont have a clue with these mocks. KC is without a doubt as desperate as a team can possibly be for Oline help right now at pick #5. Them taking anything but an Olineman with their pick almost doesnt make sense. KC was DEAD LAST in rushing offense last season. Kansas City! And LJ was getting killed before he ever went down. Point being, theyre taking a player that NE's not interested in, making one of the 'bait' players like either McFadden or Ryan much more likely to still be on the clock at pick #7, helping NE leverage their way into a trade down if they dont actually use the pick. So, one of those players in this mock will not be a player chosen because imo, KC MUST take a lineman.

I would not be really all that surprised to see Ryan take a Brady Quinn/Aaron Rodgers like fall on draft day.

I would be. Alex Smith was the top rated QB in Rodgers' draft, and Jamarcus Russell was the top rated QB in Quinn's. Ryan is the top rated QB in this draft and the others all grade out to late 1st, early 2nd talents. Brian Brohm is the freefaller in this draft, though he won't be present in New York and his freefall has already begun.

Last edited:
Reiss makes an interesting comment on his reply to others about his pick:

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2008/03/espn_mock_draft.html#comments
I almost went with Derrick Harvey, projecting him as an outside linebacker in the 3-4, but saw he was represented by CAA, the group run by Tom Condon/Kem Kremer and the Patriots have not dealt with them, I don't think, since Benjamin Watson's holdout in 2004.

I remember Watson being one of the longest holdouts in Pats history. It makes me wonder what other prospects are represented by these guys this year.

None of the corners in this draft are worthy of a top ten pick from what I've seen and read. However, the Patriots do take need into account, so that might be enough to bump one up high enough. I hope not, but it's possible.

None of the corners in this draft are worthy of a top ten pick from what I've seen and read. However, the Patriots do take need into account, so that might be enough to bump one up high enough. I hope not, but it's possible.

Agreed that none of the CB's in this draft are worthy of a top-10 pick.

Obviously with no trade option available I see how Reiss picked Talib. IMHO in this exact same scenario with the same no trade rules I would have picked PHILLIP MERLING DE from Clemson because he can play both 3-4 and 4-3 end and give you great flexibility upfront, which is where most games are won and lost, see SB42. A CB with Talib's talents can be had later in the draft but not many DE's with Merling's skill set and talents.

If this scenario were to unfold in the real world the offers for trading the pick would come pouring in for a chance for other teams to get the pick and draft Matt Ryan, this scenario would be a great one for the Pats. Baltimore at #8 and Carolina at #13 would be two possible trade partners salivating at the prospect of drafting Ryan. Moving back a few picks and picking up a 2nd and possibly more would be a great situation.

Last edited:

Obviously with no trade option available I see how Reiss picked Talib. IMHO in this exact same scenario with the same no trade rules I would have picked PHILLIP MERLING DE from Clemson because he can play both 3-4 and 4-3 end and give you great flexibility upfront, which is where most games are won and lost, see SB42. A CB with Talib's talents can be had later in the draft but not many DE's with Merling's skill set and talents.

If this scenario were to unfold in the real world the offers for trading the pick would come pouring in for a chance for other teams to get the pick and draft Matt Ryan, this scenario would be a great one for the Pats. Baltimore at #8 and Carolina at #13 would be two possible trade partners salivating at the prospect of drafting Ryan. Moving back a few picks and picking up a 2nd and possibly more would be a great situation.

Antoine Cason, CB from Zona could be had at the top or mid portion of Rd 2 with the possible 2nd Rd pick in the trade and he is similar to Talib.

Last edited:
I've never seen him play live, so I'm sure you know much better than I do. Let me ask you this though: You have just named a handful of important CB skills that you feel he is terrible at. So what is it, in your opinion, that has NFL scouts ranking him as one of the top CBs in the draft, while you seem to think he's a scrub?

I'm not being sarcastic, I'm honestly asking.

If you never actually watched Talib play, then why did you believe he was the best CB in the draft class? Some rankings you read online or something?

I've never thought he was the best CB in the draft, and I did watch him play. What I've seen is a CB who can make some big plays, and can play at a high level, but he also has lapses or moments of inconsistency. Sometimes his footwork will be good/OK, but later in the very same game he'll look sloppy, or technically unsound. Some of his problems have to do with the tech Kansas has been teaching their DB's, so I do think he has some correctable flaws, but I also noticed some other things that made me question him as a first round prospect for the Patriots.

He seems capable of playing physical, and has the size for it, but for the most part he didn't play like a big physical CB in college. And, if your not going to play like a big and physical CB, then you have to make up for it with very good footwork/coverage ability, and quickness. That's why I don't see him as a first round option for NE, and I'd rather NE look at Cason, McKelvin, Flowers, and Chevis Jackson as potential Patriots prospects.

Last edited:
Actually, Reiss just picked one of the current Top corners the Pats really like and DRC is not among them. By Top, I'm mean 4-5.

Please stop talking out of your azz. You keep spouting off as if you actually know who they like the most, and who they do not like. I'll clue you in, 24 hours before last years draft sources close to the team suggested the Patriots were going to select David Harris with one of their two first round picks....He's on the Jets, and the Patriots felt trading out of the 28th pick was better value.

Also, you claim to be some type of USC insider, which seems kind of funny to me, since you've continually called Rey Maualuga "Ray". If you're such an insider you would seemingly know how to spell the guys name...

To add on to that, some of the ideas you spouted off on the draft forum last week (or the week before) didn't come off as someone who was coming from a place of knowledge.

Here's an additional hint for those who read PatriotsInsider.com and suddenly believe they're completely informed on what the team plans to do, and the players they like. Last year we listed the draftees the Patriots had some form of contact with (interviews, workouts, private visits, and so on). Out of that list of 94, only Brandon Meriweather and Kareem Brown were selected by the Patriots. To be fair, there was some rumblings of interest in Oscar Lua, but I don't believe he ever appeared on the list, because it was simply an unsubstantiated rumor. So, in any case I call BS!

FWW, Merling just had surgery to correct a sports hernia.

Just saw that. and a good example of why guys like Reiss are better off just writing about things like drafts and not running them. Not that Id be unhappy with Talib. Just not at 7.

Youre right. Just like the "experts" on this board.

I
I doubt Roethlisberger was considered a near top 10 pick before the combine or closer to the draft.
He wasn't a top ten pick during or after the draft, either. What's your point?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News