PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mike Reiss: Patriots of 2001-04 get their due in ESPN's Top 20 Teams of 1995 - 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soul_Survivor88

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
i

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-.../_/id/4779995/patriots-of-01-04-get-their-due

Mike Reiss
As part of ESPN.com's 20-year anniversary, the site ranked the top 20 teams over the last 20 years. The New England Patriots landed in the No. 3 spot.

Only the 2004 Boston Red Sox (No. 2) and 1996-98 Chicago Bulls (No. 1) earned higher marks.

A snippet from a piece by ESPN.com columnist Greg Garber accompanies the piece, which reads: "The Patriots matched the achievement of the Dallas Cowboys of the middle 1990s, but within the context of today's free agency system, New England's feat is vastly more impressive."

Last edited:
....why are 04 sox so high? It was a cool story and all but sox shouldnt be above lakers dynasty, patriots, and could probably throw the spurs in there.

The Bulls are understandable but the 04' Red Sox make no sense at all.

That Sox team was a special team and a great story, but the Patriots 01-04 are obviously better. Terrible ranking by ESPN.

Yeeesh, you guys are a tough crowd to please. I thought you all would be thrilled to see 2 New England teams to make it in the Top 3.

I guess fans don't value good ole' fashioned sentiment these days? :rolleyes:

I guess fans don't value good ole' fashioned sentiment these days? :rolleyes:

I don't really know what that means, but if ESPN is going to the trouble to rank teams, they might as well make an effort to actually do it halfway decently.

I don't really know what that means, but if ESPN is going to the trouble to rank teams, they might as well make an effort to actually do it halfway decently.

The 2004 were inspirational as well as talented. I think that's what ESPN was going for. I know it's a little cliche, but ending a 86-year championship drought and being the only baseball team to comeback after being 0-3 makes for a great story line, as well as a great case for a top-ranked team.

I'm surprised the 2007 Patriots did not make the list.

The 2004 were inspirational as well as talented. I think that's what ESPN was going for. I know it's a little cliche, but ending a 86-year championship drought and being the only baseball team to comeback after being 0-3 makes for a great story line, as well as a great case for a top-ranked team.

Fair enough - I agree its a great storyline, but that wasn't (or shouldn't be) their criteria. They could just as easily create a best storylines of the last 20 years and put Sox #1. Knowing ESPN and knowing how much filler programming they have, I'm sure they will.

2007-08 Patriots Team >>>>>>>> 2001 - 04 Team

If Brady and the Pats won the Super Bowl in 08', we'd be discussing them as though they were the best NFL team of all time.

2007-08 Patriots Team >>>>>>>> 2001 - 04 Team

Slow your roll there. One of those Parriot teams was (most likely) the greatest defense the patriots have had and one of the others was the most well rounded team in patriots history.

Slow your roll there. One of those Parriot teams was (most likely) the greatest defense the patriots have had and one of the others was the most well rounded team in patriots history.

:D Just trying to provoke a reaction

But we had a pretty bad ass offense in 07', perhaps one of the best ever. The 2007 team was definitely the most fun to watch IMO

:D Just trying to provoke a reaction

But we had a pretty bad ass offense in 07', perhaps one of the best ever. The 2007 team was definitely the most fun to watch IMO
I preferred the balanced offense of 2004. I remember checking weather forecasts constantly in 2007 to make sure no wind or rain was coming. While that was a great offense to watch, it also seemed fragile.

I think the '04 Sox definitely belong in the top five. No team ever came back from 3 games down to win the series and no team has since. But I definitely don't think they belong at #1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand