PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Michigan quarterback J.J. McCarthy Declares for the Draft

I didn't say he never threw for 200 yards. I said he didn’t throw 200 yards per game in college.

I find it hilarious when people use this as some sort of flex in favor of McCarthy.

Yes, he was the quarterback in a run heavy scheme. Think about it.
In 63 games from 2001 to 2004 Brady averaged 220 yards per game. Those were run heavy teams.

He threw for 200+ yards per game 8 times.
pB43k.jpg

In 63 games from 2001 to 2004 Brady averaged 220 yards per game. Those were run heavy teams.
Horrible comparison. If you don't realize how much football - especially college football - has changed in the passing game over the past quarter century then you need to learn your history, son. Besides, Brady was ridiculously underused all through his college career. His coaches never knew what they had.

But really... if your thesis is that McCarthy is the next Tom Brady, well.... good luck with that. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Well wouldn't that backup why he didn't have as many pass yards as a team that was pass heavy...
He was the quarterback in a run heavy scheme. Think about it.*

But maybe first learn the concept of per game averages.

I cannot believe how high some people are on a guy who didn’t even throw 200 yards per game in college.

He’s worth a 6th or 7th round flyer at most. Anything more than that would be a tremendous waste.
Apologies.

My mistake as i misunderstood what you were saying. You were correct.

However your valuation of him is way off but each to their own.

Horrible comparison. If you don't realize how much football - especially college football - has changed in the passing game over the past quarter century then you need to learn your history, son.
Michigan was a different offense. Generalizing one team to all of college football shows you need to understand your stats, son.
Besides, Brady was ridiculously underused all through his college career. His coaches never knew what they had.

But really... if your thesis is that McCarthy is the next Tom Brady, well.... good luck with that. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Of course you twisted the discussion and went there. So predictable :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Michigan was a different offense. Generalizing one team to all of college football shows you need to understand your stats, son.

Of course you twisted the discussion and went there. So predictable :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
You're the one that brought Tom Brady into this conversation. You made the comparison.

Own your statements.

You're the one that brought Tom Brady into this conversation. You made the comparison.

Own your statements.
I didn't compare TB12 to McCarthy.

"Own your statements". Weak.

You continue to twist.

Well question is where he will land?! That is the billion dollar question.

And who is your LT and RT going to protect? Bengals got Burrow first then addressed the other areas. By the way, there hasn't been a single comment that I've ever made on here that you didn't disagree with or nitpick (and no, I'm not a "Safe Space" Type). Do you have a particular problem with me (not that I really care)? Was just curious.
Not sure that's the best example. Burrow got killed his rookie year and then got a disastrous season ending injury (ACL/MCL/PCL/Meniscus tears), finishing 2-7-1 as a starter with the Bengals finishing 4-11-1 (2-14 the previous), allowing them to pick 5th the next year (JChase). They got frickin' lucky, although after leading the league in getting sacked his 2nd year (and 29 sacks in 7 playoff games), I'm worried Burrow is gonna be another ALuck. 2 season ending injuries in 4 years is not a good trend. He literally limped into the beginning of last season.

I didn't compare TB12 to McCarthy.
You brought Tom Brady into a thread that had nothing to do with Tom Brady. No one was talking about Brady. You brought him up.

I don't blame you for running away from your own idiocy.

Not sure that's the best example. Burrow got killed his rookie year and then got a disastrous season ending injury (ACL/MCL/PCL/Meniscus tears), finishing 2-7-1 as a starter with the Bengals finishing 4-11-1 (2-14 the previous), allowing them to pick 5th the next year (JChase). They got frickin' lucky, although after leading the league in getting sacked his 2nd year (and 29 sacks in 7 playoff games), I'm worried Burrow is gonna be another ALuck. 2 season ending injuries in 4 years is not a good trend. He literally limped into the beginning of last season.
It doesn't diminish his talent as a QB. It's an indictment of the Bengals failure to address the OL. He was still worthy of being picked in the Top 5.

Well question is where he will land?! That is the billion dollar question.

I don’t want anything to do with McCarthy at the price it would likely cost to acquire him.

Plan A: Trade down 2 spots with LAC, then take Drake Maye.

Plan B: Stay at 3, then take Maye.

Plan C: Trade down multiple times to at least #19 for extra Day 2 picks both this year & next year, then take Bo Nix.

Plan D: Trade down 2 spots with LAC, then take Daniels.

There is no way - No ****ing Way - that I’m taking Daniels at # ****ing 3… That would be Special Olympics teams stupid: neither the Cardinals nor Chargers are taking a QB at either 4 or 5.

I don’t want anything to do with McCarthy at the price it would likely cost to acquire him.

Plan C: Trade down multiple times to at least #19 for extra Day 2 picks both this year & next year, then take Bo Nix.

There is no way - No ****ing Way - that I’m taking Daniels at # ****ing 3… That would be Special Olympics teams stupid: neither the Cardinals nor Chargers are taking a QB at either 4 or 5.
I was listening to Bert Breer yesterday and he was talking about when Matt Cassell took over for Brady and how BB & crew coached him up and he had a pretty good run with the Pats.
Breer indicated that BB thought he could coach up Mac Jones as well, but Mac Jones either did not have the desire or talent to take on the role BB prescribed for him.
An interesting POV makes me think that BB could "coach any player up" which failed miserably the past couple of years.

You are right that the cards and Lac do not need QBs, but other teams could trade up and snipe us.

You are right that the cards and Lac do not need QBs, but other teams could trade up and snipe us.
Exactly. The second you trade down to #5 you give a team like the NYG or Minn a chance to blow Arizona away with an offer and then we lose out on Maye or Daniels. That type of trade would only work if the Pats didnt see much difference between Maye/McCarthy or Daniels/McCarthy. If one gets taken at 4, the other would still be there at 5.

Another option is work the phones leading up to the draft. Make it know pick #3 is up for sale. Even if its not. Maybe you can spook Ari into trading up 1 spot so they can take Harrison jr. As long as you have insurances they are not taking a QB. Ari has a lot of draft picks this year, Maybe we can pick up their 1st 3rd rounder, #66. I know it doesn't match up via the TVC, but Arizona could call your bluff. This way you get a real early 3rd rounder and still guarantee you get the QB you want.

I was listening to Bert Breer yesterday and he was talking about when Matt Cassell took over for Brady and how BB & crew coached him up and he had a pretty good run with the Pats.
Breer indicated that BB thought he could coach up Mac Jones as well, but Mac Jones either did not have the desire or talent to take on the role BB prescribed for him.
An interesting POV makes me think that BB could "coach any player up" which failed miserably the past couple of years.
That's because 2008 Bill and 2023 Bill are not the same person. Not even close.

Exactly. The second you trade down to #5 you give a team like the NYG or Minn a chance to blow Arizona away with an offer and then we lose out on Maye or Daniels. That type of trade would only work if the Pats didnt see much difference between Maye/McCarthy or Daniels/McCarthy. If one gets taken at 4, the other would still be there at 5.

Another option is work the phones leading up to the draft. Make it know pick #3 is up for sale. Even if its not. Maybe you can spook Ari into trading up 1 spot so they can take Harrison jr. As long as you have insurances they are not taking a QB. Ari has a lot of draft picks this year, Maybe we can pick up their 1st 3rd rounder, #66. I know it doesn't match up via the TVC, but Arizona could call your bluff. This way you get a real early 3rd rounder and still guarantee you get the QB you want.
No need to take chances in their current situation with trading back, Just take one of Daniels, Maye or McCarthy who ever they like best and is available at 3.
It will be a fireable offense if they trade back and someone jumps in front of them and takes their preferred QB.
They should not get cute. The franchise is in bad shape and needs a QB that can grow with the team.

Come on……Cassell was throwing to Randy ****ing Moss and Wes Welker with a probowl LT and guard, coming off a 18 win season.

I’m sure BB could of coached Mac to 10 or 11 wins with that talent too

Come on……Cassell was throwing to Randy ****ing Moss and Wes Welker with a probowl LT and guard, coming off a 18 win season.

I’m sure BB could of coached Mac to 10 or 11 wins with that talent too
I'm not.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back