PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

MGCOLBY's thoughts about Patsfans.com - and more!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saying there are two types of people in the world is a gross oversimplification of things, but you do realize that both forms of the two types you listed are really just a different take on the same form. If the negative type is negative in order to generate self-esteem by putting things around them down, then the positive type likewise generates some feelings of self-worth from putting down the negative type. Either way, both side is saying "we're better than ___" fill in the blank with the opposite. It's why liberals and conservatives are as they are these days.

I'm not sure how any of this applies to the Pats. I don't know why people are shocked there are negative or pessimstic Pats fans. I mean, come on, this is New England, what do you expect?

If you're a homer, and I consider myself a pretty big kool-aid drinker, you just have to accept and even embrace the area we are in. I hate media members who spread negativity, I think that's unfair and propaganda-like, but the average fan who likes to whine and moan? Shouldn't bother us. The recent success of the Pats and Sox have changed the makeup of New England sports fans, but at our heart, we are a whiny, bytchy, yet passionate group, and I see nothing wrong with that.

Last edited:
MGCOLBY
Pleae make a list of what we are allowed to post. I would hate to write something contradictory to the party line.
Thank you Comrade.

borg said:
MGCOLBY
Pleae make a list of what we are allowed to post. I would hate to write something contradictory to the party line.
Thank you Comrade.
Let me start.
I KNOW that a 54% completion rate by our most decorated player, Comrade Brady, is far superior to the minions of the vile enemy nonbelievers. Clearly Comrade Brady is engaged in a vast deception designed to lure the capitalist DBs into a sense of false security. The 8 catches per game by our illustrious WRs is a far superior effort to those who find it necessary to measure their accomplishments by disgusting yards and trivial TDs.

italianpatthepatriot said:
then...there are fans that love the 'throwbacks' + pat patriot and fans that prefere the today's one + flying elvis...
Which do you prefer???

Patjew said:
Which do you prefer???

Patjew, i really do not understand this question...

the new ones of course and flying elvis

the throwbacks and pat patriot are simply horrible and they remind me when we were 'loosers'

MGCOLBY, i can understand where you are coming from....well sort of. Sometimes negative rants, or the "sky is falling" talk can get tiresome and especially with a team like the Pats that's well rounded in every aspect the rants can seem unwarranted. however the spirit of boards like this IS to rant, and blab. None of us here work for the Pats (or at least most) and have zero influence on the team so rants on a board can be healthy.

Also i feel that there is a sort of "ying & yang" to posters. it creates good dialogue and great avenues of discussion. If this board was all about how the Pats are flawless and BB is Perfect yada yada it would be sooooo boring! I don't post too much but i enjoy reading and most people already say the things that are on my mind. I find no offense to what you have posted and can see your point, i myself am a "glass is half full" kind of guy, but we should not be offended by fellow Pats fans concerns, rants or anxeity, instead engage in great conversation and debate. my 2 cents.

GO PATS!!!!!

Jay

Mainefan said:
It's not just knee-jerk negativism, MGColby, it's also knee-jerk positivism.

Both are annoying, because they have nothing to do with reality, although both purport to be both objective and informative.

I tend to skip both "Patriots are terrible" and "Patriots are peerless" threads. I'm interested in actual news, or technical football discussions--why something happened, why something might happen, how individual players are performing, based on an analysis of their actions. I also enjoy analysis of other teams and players.

I marvel at the depth of knowledge of some of the posters. I have learned more about football--which I've followed for more than 30 years--in a year of reading Patsfans posts than in all the previous time.

As for the nattering nabobs of negativity, a Bill Safire phrase uttered by Spiro Agnew back in the Nixon years, I don't find they contribute much to my enjoyment of the game or this site. The exact same goes for the posters who believe the Patriots are Godlike and that BB has never and will never make a mistake. They're people, folks, and BB has made a number of mistakes--I'll bet we can all name five (why in the world did he release Hank Poteat now?)

All this said, Patsfan.com is open to all, and except for the extremes of language and hostility, that's the way it should be. The over-pessimistic and the over-optimistic have every right to post here, and those of us in the middle have every right to ignore them if we like.

Our commitment to free speech, which is something we all say we value, isn't really tested until we confront speech we don't like. That's the speech that needs protecting, not the speech we agree with. So MgColby, I think you are wrong to tell people to go away.

You may feel that the over-negative posters are scum, MgColby, but your attempt to cleanse the site of them is arrogant, judgmental and exclusionary. It's even bad tactics--your condemnation is more likely to inflame them then to shut them up.

Now, to the other posters: Mussolini was not a Nazi, he was a fascist. But he was a dictator. He had armies behind him, and police, so he could force people to do as he wishes. McColby has no armies and no police, so he can safely be ignored.

Very good post. Thank you for letting people know that I am not a dictator nor do I have the resources to be one. The only thing I would like to mention is that I never called or implied that the negative posters are scum.

Actually, I feel the majority of the negative posters (not all) just don't fully understand how this team has sustained success in a system that is designed to prevent it.

borg said:
MGCOLBY
Thank you Comrade.

If I struck a nerve in you, then you must feel that you are one of the people I wrote about. Or like some other's, you completely missed my point.

mgcolby said:
If I struck a nerve in you, then you must feel that you are one of the people I wrote about. Or like some other's, you completely missed my point.
Here are your words...
"Instead of celebrating the fact that the Patriots are an elite NFL team and under the salary cap by 17 Million, the media and many of its own fans choose to chastise them. To those of you that fall into that category, I say the hell with you and stop posting on OUR board!"

Help me out please...If I am a fan of the Patriots, then I must wear rose colored glasses when viewing all things Patriots. And if I don't choose to drink the Foxborough kool-aid, I should get the hell out of here.Right. So I am wrong for believing that Monty Beisel sucked and Starks was a joke and there is no LB depth and the field blows and the WRs are substandard and there was no plan B after the Branch debacle, and 10-6 last year was a disappointment....etc etc etc.

borg said:
Here are your words...
"Instead of celebrating the fact that the Patriots are an elite NFL team and under the salary cap by 17 Million, the media and many of its own fans choose to chastise them. To those of you that fall into that category, I say the hell with you and stop posting on OUR board!"

Help me out please...If I am a fan of the Patriots, then I must wear rose colored glasses when viewing all things Patriots. And if I don't choose to drink the Foxborough kool-aid, I should get the hell out of here.Right. So I am wrong for believing that Monty Beisel sucked and Starks was a joke and there is no LB depth and the field blows and the WRs are substandard and there was no plan B after the Branch debacle, and 10-6 last year was a disappointment....etc etc etc.

No actually all that is true except the WR's being substandard. The talent is there they just need time to gel and I think each week we will see an improvement in that department. Based on your post you missed my point. Read my response from this morning. The problem I have is with many of the johnny come lately's that jump all over BB and Pioli about the salary cap and essentially saying they don't know what they are doing. Do they make mistakes? of course, but they are the best in the business at what they do and they have a plan and stick to it. But many fans and posters on here don't understand that or they just love to find something to complain about.

But what I do find idiotic is people supporting or playing off of dictator comments that were completely irrelevent to the thread. Call me a homer or a kool aid drinker or whatever but don't compare me to mass murderer or in your case play off of it.

Last edited:
mgcolby said:
No actually all that is true except the WR's being substandard. The talent is there they just need time to gel and I think each week we will see an improvement in that department. Based on your post you missed my point. Read my response from this morning. The problem I have is with many of the johnny come lately's that jump all over BB and Pioli about the salary cap and essentially saying they don't know what they are doing. Do they make mistakes? of course, but they are the best in the business at what they do and they have a plan and stick to it. But many fans and posters on here don't understand that or they just love to find something to complain about.

But what I do find idiotic is people supporting or playing off of dictator comments that were completely irrelevent to the thread. Call me a homer or a kool aid drinker or whatever but don't compare me to mass murderer or in your case play off of it.

There you go again, telling me what I can and can't do.

borg said:
There you go again, telling me what I can and can't do.

Funny, at this point I just find you to be a jackass. I tried to be civil to you but you choose to act like a jerk. Even after I tried to make the discussion cordial.

Another in a long line of useless threads

mgcolby said:
Funny, at this point I just find you to be a jackass. I tried to be civil to you but you choose to act like a jerk. Even after I tried to make the discussion cordial.

Lets use your opening words to this thread

"I believe there are two types of people in this world. Those that seek out all of the negatives within themselves in order to improve and then those that go out of their way to find faults in others in order to gain some sort of self satisfaction."

And your closing remarks...

"I say the hell with you and stop posting on OUR board"

You seem to have come full circle. Your "civility" throughout is admirable.

Mainefan said:
It's not just knee-jerk negativism, MGColby, it's also knee-jerk positivism.

Both are annoying, because they have nothing to do with reality, although both purport to be both objective and informative.

I tend to skip both "Patriots are terrible" and "Patriots are peerless" threads. I'm interested in actual news, or technical football discussions--why something happened, why something might happen, how individual players are performing, based on an analysis of their actions. I also enjoy analysis of other teams and players.

I marvel at the depth of knowledge of some of the posters. I have learned more about football--which I've followed for more than 30 years--in a year of reading Patsfans posts than in all the previous time.

As for the nattering nabobs of negativity, a Bill Safire phrase uttered by Spiro Agnew back in the Nixon years, I don't find they contribute much to my enjoyment of the game or this site. The exact same goes for the posters who believe the Patriots are Godlike and that BB has never and will never make a mistake. They're people, folks, and BB has made a number of mistakes--I'll bet we can all name five (why in the world did he release Hank Poteat now?)

All this said, Patsfan.com is open to all, and except for the extremes of language and hostility, that's the way it should be. The over-pessimistic and the over-optimistic have every right to post here, and those of us in the middle have every right to ignore them if we like.

Our commitment to free speech, which is something we all say we value, isn't really tested until we confront speech we don't like. That's the speech that needs protecting, not the speech we agree with. So MgColby, I think you are wrong to tell people to go away.

You may feel that the over-negative posters are scum, MgColby, but your attempt to cleanse the site of them is arrogant, judgmental and exclusionary. It's even bad tactics--your condemnation is more likely to inflame them then to shut them up.

Now, to the other posters: Mussolini was not a Nazi, he was a fascist. But he was a dictator. He had armies behind him, and police, so he could force people to do as he wishes. McColby has no armies and no police, so he can safely be ignored.

It seems like the number one thing to do around here lately is to attack fellow posters for being more positive, negative, subjective, or objective, than you happen to be. Or being less 'relevant' than you. It has become a prevailing attitude.

We have the camp of people that label others as 'the sky is falling types', unless every single thing you say is about how perfect everything is at all times. We have a few doom and gloomers that actually fit this 'sky is falling' description, but not nearly as many as you would think. Some of them just post way, way too often. :rolleyes:

Then there are people that want to make an effort to deal in facts, and to consider both sides of the issue. I think these are the guys that seem to be defending the 'way this site used to be'. Perhaps a little too vigorously at times, because it mainly just leads to pointless arguing with perceived 'problem posters', who should just be ignored.

I think it is the final group of posters that is causing a lot of the angst and confusion. The knee-jerk reactionary crowd that is 'up' one week and 'down' the next, depending on the last game. These guys seem to be the ones that post all kinds of threads which don't make much sense, because their point of view changes so much each week. I think that the rest of us who are normally positive, negative and objective posters are all finding it difficult to cope with the fans who are on and off the bandwagon in the blink of an eye. The 'trade so and so for so and so, no really, think about it....' types. Or the 'bench so and so and get this other guy from another team' types.

But I would love to see more people trying to post intelligent and thoughtful football related threads, regardless of what camp you are in. And I would really love to see less threads start with some silly quip about this thread being meant to fend off others at this site that are either too positive, negative, or neutral for your liking.

I think it is time to get back to just the facts and quit the in-fighting.

italianpatthepatriot said:
Patjew, i really do not understand this question...

the new ones of course and flying elvis

the throwbacks and pat patriot are simply horrible and they remind me when we were 'loosers'
You can't fool me! I know you love Pat Patriot and the old uni's.

And so do I. I'm wearing my old-school Pat Patriot hat right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST