PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

merriman's comments today

Status
Not open for further replies.
1) You guys signed a punter, who has played the last 3 games for you, and also happened to test positive for steroids in August. Should you guys foreit those games? Where was the outrage to him donning the patriot helmet? Be careful being the pot that calls the kettle black.

Actually there was a ton of outrage here about the Sauerbrun signing, with opinions being split between "Well, we need -someone- to punt" and "This guy's a turd and we never should have signed him".

I don't really see that hand-wringing from the Bolts crowd about Merriman, at least those who have shown up here.

Some of the media choose to portray it as Merriman was on his 20th cycle of a roid bender, the fact is between August 10th and September 10th his system dropped to the normal level of Nandrolone in the human body. It has been five months since the positive test and he is performing at a level beyond the time his body would still be under the effects. You can call him a cheater but you would be doing a disservice to your own football knowledge to not acknowledge that he is a talented player who plays the game he loves at a high level all the time. He didn't need to after taking on 2 lineman when rushing the passer to run 60yards downfield to help make a tackle on a dodging and weaving Anquan Boldin in week 17, it's his heart that makes him a great player not any artificial muscle builder.

Merriman is frank in his opinions about his own ability. He has been saying all year that no one can block him one on one. He has said he believes he will go down as one of the greats of all time when his career is over. He has said his goal is to be the greatest defensive player of all time. And somehow, despite all that bluster, he managed to record 17 sacks in 12 games. Go figure.

"somehow", like you don't know? Let me help you with that -- steroids.

it's his heart that makes him a great player not any artificial muscle builder.

Heart helps. God-given physical abilities helps. Good coaching and teammates help.

And 'roids help too.

I'm guessing that if and when Suarbraun is asked about his violation of the substances policy, he does not react with indignation, arrogance, and making it the other guy's fault.

Merriman cheated and got caught and he's being a jerk about it, instead of saying, "I made a mistake, let's move on."

I ain't gonna defend Merriman for the whole steroids issue. Whatever the circumstances, he was stupid to put that S][it in his body.

However... I am sooooo glad he's on my favorite team. There's no doubt in my mind he is no longer infested with nandralone and is looking like a man amongst boys out there at times. :rocker:

He's been wreaking havoc even with his bad foot, but now that thing's healthy after the rest. They're going to turn this guy loose and line him up all over the place. I'm sure they've seen tape of the Dolphins game where Taylor was coming from every angle... should be fun to watch.

Last edited:
Way to keep adding fuel to the fire, Merriman.

They say "people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones", I'm pretty sure there's a comparable NFL saying of "players suspended for using performance enhancing drugs should shut the f*ck up".

Guys let's leave Merriman alone. He's just real juiced up for this game. I mean, it's clear he's just needling the fans here. He's just trying to inject a little drama into the game.

Last edited:
Guys let's leave Merriman alone. He's just real juiced up for this game. I mean, it's clear he's just needling the fans here. He's just trying to inject a little drama into the game.

LOL :D (10 char)

lmfao.. You'd get your head smashed in as soon as you walk within 10 yards of Merriman with that attitude.

Of course he would. That's what us non drug addicts call roid rage. You sound like you and Merriman have the same dealer, tough guy.

Bravo *golf clap*

Bravo *golf clap*

First off, let me thank you guys for graciously letting me invade your board for the week. A few things I wanted to point out regarding Merriman...

#1. If it were not for football, he might be smoking crack in an alley somehwere with Ray Lewis. he is as ghetto as they come and I don't buy it for a second that he didn't know what he was ingesting.

#2. he actually tested positive before the season even started, not in the middle of it and has since been tested 3 times a week since his suspension.

#3. As a Chargers fan, I personally think he is just a pass rusher and not really a complete player yet. So although he has 17 sacks in 12 games, I still dont think he should of won DPOTY. He wasn't even the best defensive player on his own team.

#4. Shuan Phillips(the other guy as we call him) had way more game changing plays than Merriman with only 11 and a half sacks.

My reason for this post is to make you guys understand that I dont think Merriman really represents what our team is all about. We have the best front 7 in football with Castillo, Jamal Williams and Igor Oshansky on our line and Phillips and Merriman on the outside with Donnie Edwards inside.

This is going to be an absolutely epic battle this Sunday between 2 great teams.

"I made a mistake, let's move on."

In effect, that is exactly what he did say and has done.

On his steroid suspension:

“Like I said from day one it was a mistake on my part because I wasn’t knowledgeable about banned supplements and substances. It’s just that when you’re doing something for so long you have confidence in doing it even though you don’t know it until you get knocked, which is what happened to me. I took my suspension and I moved on.”

Last edited:
Actually there was a ton of outrage here about the Sauerbrun signing, with opinions being split between "Well, we need -someone- to punt" and "This guy's a turd and we never should have signed him".

I don't really see that hand-wringing from the Bolts crowd about Merriman, at least those who have shown up here.

Come on now, guys. You can't have it both ways. The excuse that because you desperately needed a punter it was ok to sign one even if he tested positive and then bash Merriman on the flip side is being hypocritical. Both the Pats and the Bolts employ a player who tested positive back in August.

And, yes, there are a bunch of charger fans who were very upset with Merriman. Some buy his explanation, or at least see how it could be plausible. Others don't. Like I said before, I don't blame you guys for hating him. Just remember you guys line up a player that was guilty of the same violation.

Actually, Merriman said: "I took my suspension and I moved on to a new drug dealer who lives in North Park."

Just to clarify.:D

In effect, that is exactly what he did say and has done.

On his steroid suspension:

“Like I said from day one it was a mistake on my part because I wasn’t knowledgeable about banned supplements and substances. It’s just that when you’re doing something for so long you have confidence in doing it even though you don’t know it until you get knocked, which is what happened to me. I took my suspension and I moved on.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents