PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

merriman's comments today

Status
Not open for further replies.
merriman will be another loudmouth who never gets a ring

I didn't see the outrage for Julius Peppers use of ephedra when he won DROY. Playing at a weight comfortable to athletes is just as important as adding muscle. Many careers have been ruined by being overweight, rookie probowl alternate Tonui Fonoti, now barely able to latch onto a NFL team after ballooning up to 400lbs last season. Steroids have become the new red scare, and its sickening how the media portrays it worse then actually killing someone like Leonard Little's drunk driving incident.

A linebackers comments can't be taken as a joke is far from the truth, Bart Scott's comments this week towards Joseph Addai are exactly in a joking manor and the media decided to run with it as "Mean LB wants to hurt rookie RB."

Last edited:
Now, you might agree with what Taylor said but you don't think it's kind of inappropriate for the guy who is in the top running for DPOY to politic like that?

I'd agree with that........... but then again, Taylor had a point.

Merriman is a physical beast and make plays, but in my opinion, also a F***** disgrace and a stain on an otherwise very good defense squad in SD.

I hope he breaks a leg this w/e............. Which says alot. I generally deplore that kind of talk, but for a guy that cheats, gets caught, suspended and then has absolute no humility over it. He deserves whatever he gets.

Last edited:
People criticizing Merriman for being a loudmouth are uninformed. He really is a playmaker. He's leading the NFL this year in plays made and lights put out.

People criticizing Merriman for being a loudmouth are uninformed. He really is a playmaker. He's leading the NFL this year in plays made and lights put out.

There is no need for a "Playmaker" with a big mouth; there are plenty of other amazing players who arn't the big mouth type.

http://news.bostonherald.com/blogs/patriots/

Shawne "The Juicer" Merriman" said:
Now, on to Merriman, who was wildly fun to listen to. Last week, the All-Pro sent Jason Taylor a “Lights Out” hat, t-shirt and a box of popcorn, so he could “watch me in the playoffs” after Taylor’s comments criticizing his positive steroid test. Patriots QB Tom Brady said today that Taylor and Merriman would probably be sipping Mai Tais together at the Pro Bowl. In response to that, Merriman said, “tell Tom he can wear my shirts, I’ll send him some stuff.” Merriman also said in the 12-minute session that no one can block him one-on-one, and added that he’s not just a pass-rusher, but a “playmaker.” He did say that Jonathan Ogden (Ravens) and Walter Jones (Seahawks) , among tackles, and Leonard Pope (Cardinals) and Jason Dunn (Chiefs), among tight ends, have done the best job in blocking him.

the herald staff found it fun to listen to...not sure what is funny

Hmm.. He's never faced Daniel Graham as a blocker that I know of. In fact, from what I can find, even though Graham dressed last year for the SD game, he didn't play.

Last edited:
time to get a sense of humor? :(

Dude -
WOW. Talk about SENILE. You were OWNED by everyone you mentioned in your signature. OH, and only a LOSER would even mention something like that in his signature.

Dude -
WOW. Talk about SENILE. You were OWNED by everyone you mentioned in your signature. OH, and only a LOSER would even mention something like that in his signature.
He's a stud in his own mind and his signature - but nowhere else :)

Merriman - just a stupid pompous jerk. I hope someone on the Patriots knocks his Light's Out.

I don't suppose you would. Using Brady's own criteria, shouldn't Tom S-T-F-U about Merriman and Taylor and talk about his own team?

Merriman is frank in his opinions about his own ability. He has been saying all year that no one can block him one on one. He has said he believes he will go down as one of the greats of all time when his career is over. He has said his goal is to be the greatest defensive player of all time. And somehow, despite all that bluster, he managed to record 17 sacks in 12 games. Go figure.

Yeah, but how does he play without steroids? I notice there are a few less "Babe Ruth's" around since MLB started testing.:D

more from merriman
http://www.boston.com/sports/footba...01/10/merriman_predicts_victory_for_chargers/

When asked during a conference call with the New England media today if he had any prognostications for the Chargers-Patriots matchup, the NFL’s sack leader responded:

“To come out with a ‘W.’ That’s it. One point we win, a field goal, a safety, anything we get. One point we win. But obviously we want to come in and play 60 minutes of football and that’s it.”

Merriman, who had 17 sacks this season despite sitting out four games due to a steroid suspension, also backed away from the comments he made last Sunday on CBS during halftime of the Patriots’ 37-16 win over the New York Jets, when he predicted the Jets would win.

“I thought that if the Jets were going to win it was going to be close in the first half and it was [the Patriots led 17-10],” said Merriman. “So, I thought the Jets had a chance to win it, but little did I know that [Tom] Brady had three Super Bowl rings and he doesn’t lose against the Jets.”

merriman is "lights out" b/c he loses conciousness after injecting himself with roids....go figure

lmfao.. You'd get your head smashed in as soon as you walk within 10 yards of Merriman with that attitude.

Merriman strikes me as being dumb more a jerk, I think he says a lot of stuff without thinking and doesn't care about the consequences. That being said he is an absolute monster on defense and I'm terrified of the idea of him one on one with Matt Light. He made the hit that ended Priest Holmes' career, and I honestly hope that we can contain him. The Pats were able to handle the blitzes from the Jets last week but its going to be a whole different thing with the personnel that the Chargers have.

Anyone want to take a bet that if the Chargers lose Merriman will come out with some sort of "the best team lost" or "just because they beat us doesn't mean they're the better team." This guy has less class than Joey Porter.

And somehow, despite all that bluster, he managed to record 17 sacks in 12 games. Go figure.

it's called steroids

Hey fellow NFL fans. First off, I am truly not here to troll or be a jerk, so congrats on having another great season. Your team has set the golden standard that so many teams have tried to duplicate. In fact, our own GM has taken the Patriots model of success to mold our team and so far it is paying off. Imitation is the highest form of flattery, so take pride in that. Whether we can grab the torch from you guys remains to be seen. It will be a fun one for sure this Sunday.

As for Merriman, yeah he can rub people- especially opposing teams' fans- the wrong way because he is supremely confident, which, of course, translates to being ****y and arrogant to folks like yourself. I would probably hate him if he weren't a charger and also think undoubtedly that he is a cheater. Much easier to condemn the enemy than to try and listen to an explanation. But I would like to offer some points for you guys to chew on before just blasting him as a roiding cheater.

1) You guys signed a punter, who has played the last 3 games for you, and also happened to test positive for steroids in August. Should you guys foreit those games? Where was the outrage to him donning the patriot helmet? Be careful being the pot that calls the kettle black.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2706258

2) Being from NE, you guys surely soak up (just like SD fans do) your local papers' articles regarding all things Patriots. The latest article blasting Merriman was of course slanted to lather you guys up that Merriman is a roider who only plays well because of artifical help. If you happen to lose on Sunday, it was to a dishonest team. (Makes a loss a lot easier when you can blame it on something.) The writer painted a very extreme picture and spouted off his opinion as if it were fact. Merriman had never tested positive before the August nandrolone test and has never tested again for the many months afterwards. He says it was a tainted supplement and maybe he is full of crap, but what if he's right?

To get a different opinion of him, please take the time to read this article, (specifically regarding a professor who is an expert in steroids)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/01/09/AR2007010901894.html?nav=hcmodule

Linn Goldberg, professor of medicine at Oregon Health and Science University in Portland and a steroid expert, cites a 2003 investigation done for the International Olympic Committee in which 240 supplements in the U.S. were tested and 45 tested positive for steroids. Nandrolone was the most common. "It is plausible," Goldberg said of the explanation. "There's a reason why the supplement industry needs to be better regulated."

Paints quite a different picture. Merriman, while brash and supremely confident, is actually a pretty good guy. He gives back to the community and it's not just for show. I don't know if he knowingly cheated, but if he did that definitely makes it very hard to root for him. However, I don't know for sure and there is some wiggle room that it could have been a legitimate accident. Sure, I'm being a bit of homer, but you guys would do the same thing if it were one of your players. You don't bring up your punter anywhere on this thread.

3) Bottomline- I can see why you guys hate him. Opposing fans only hate players that dominate AND are perceived as being arrogant, or worse, cheaters. That's why Merriman gets crap, but your punter does not receive the same treatment. And, yes, that's why I hate Barry Bonds (but honestly that's more just because he's a jerk to everyone- including his own teammates, which is even more of a cardinal sin to me).

So enjoy this rallying point for you to focus your energy on. I happen to disagree, but I get it. Everybody wants to knock the (perceived) cheater on his arse. Maybe we'll just do the same to your punter.

Either way, it should be an exciting game and we have our work cut out for us.

Go Bolts!

baja bolts, while it is a fair point that sauerbrun is our punter, and he has used steroids in the past, the pats hands were kind of tied in that our previous two punters this season had both been placed on IR, sauerbrun was really the only accomplished punter still out there worth giving a shot.

Merriman is an arrogent idiot. These comments proved it. Just like T.O. and "OchoCinco", they talk big but are not the best.

the difference with merriman is that he talks big, and then he IS the best. he backs up everything he says.

Hey fellow NFL fans. First off, I am truly not here to troll or be a jerk, so congrats on having another great season. Your team has set the golden standard that so many teams have tried to duplicate. In fact, our own GM has taken the Patriots model of success to mold our team and so far it is paying off. Imitation is the highest form of flattery, so take pride in that. Whether we can grab the torch from you guys remains to be seen. It will be a fun one for sure this Sunday.

I appreciate the tenor of your post. The more annoying Chargers fans are making all of you look bad. If we disagree on Merriman it is nothing personal.

As for Merriman, yeah he can rub people- especially opposing teams' fans- the wrong way because he is supremely confident, which, of course, translates to being ****y and arrogant to folks like yourself. I would probably hate him if he weren't a charger and also think undoubtedly that he is a cheater. Much easier to condemn the enemy than to try and listen to an explanation. But I would like to offer some points for you guys to chew on before just blasting him as a roiding cheater.

The guy is ****y and a bit of an ass. "Supremely confident" is just a euphemism for it. It's ok for you to say "yeah he may be ****y and a little off-setting, but I like him." For instance, Pedro Martinez will probably be my favorite pitcher ever. I'll be 70 years-old and telling my grandkids stories about the guy. Do I deny that he was a ****y diva? Not at all, he is what he is. I'll forever question anyone who doubts how great he was, but I'll never really question anyone who didn't like him.

1) You guys signed a punter, who has played the last 3 games for you, and also happened to test positive for steroids in August. Should you guys foreit those games? Where was the outrage to him donning the patriot helmet? Be careful being the pot that calls the kettle black.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2706258

That's loaded and you know it. The Patriots lost two punters to IR. And I challenge you to find anyone on this board who will defend the guy. He's a former Bronco and we hate him. The team needed a punter with a pulse.

2) Being from NE, you guys surely soak up (just like SD fans do) your local papers' articles regarding all things Patriots. The latest article blasting Merriman was of course slanted to lather you guys up that Merriman is a roider who only plays well because of artifical help. If you happen to lose on Sunday, it was to a dishonest team. (Makes a loss a lot easier when you can blame it on something.) The writer painted a very extreme picture and spouted off his opinion as if it were fact. Merriman had never tested positive before the August nandrolone test and has never tested again for the many months afterwards. He says it was a tainted supplement and maybe he is full of crap, but what if he's right?

No doubt our (not mine I live in VA) local media loves going negative. A big reason they do it though is that it sells to the locals. In case you don't know, northeastern sports fans get more worked up over these moral issues than fans elsewhere. (My girlfriend from Arkansas often asks why I care about issues like steroids in sports). Boston fans ran Wil Cordero out of town when he beat his wife, and have never really looked upon Robert Parrish the same since his domestic violence incident. Half of the fans in Boston don't like Manny Ramirez even though he's been a dominant offensive force his entire time here because he doesn't hustle (though that is in part fueled by the media). While people in sunny California may quickly forgive faults of their athletes when it comes to moral issues we're typically a little more discriminating and angry. If Barry Bonds had stayed in Pittsburg there is no way in hell they'd still love him and forgive him the way San Fran fans have.

To get a different opinion of him, please take the time to read this article, (specifically regarding a professor who is an expert in steroids)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/01/09/AR2007010901894.html?nav=hcmodule

Linn Goldberg, professor of medicine at Oregon Health and Science University in Portland and a steroid expert, cites a 2003 investigation done for the International Olympic Committee in which 240 supplements in the U.S. were tested and 45 tested positive for steroids. Nandrolone was the most common. "It is plausible," Goldberg said of the explanation. "There's a reason why the supplement industry needs to be better regulated."

Paints quite a different picture. Merriman, while brash and supremely confident, is actually a pretty good guy. He gives back to the community and it's not just for show. I don't know if he knowingly cheated, but if he did that definitely makes it very hard to root for him. However, I don't know for sure and there is some wiggle room that it could have been a legitimate accident. Sure, I'm being a bit of homer, but you guys would do the same thing if it were one of your players. You don't bring up your punter anywhere on this thread.

We also don't forgive stupidity. If you're an athlete you better go over everything you put into your body with a fine tooth comb.

Also, genuine contrition goes far with us. If Merriman were to act in any way as if he were at fault then it would help his case with us. If he were to say "I shouldn't win defensive player of the year due to the failed test, but I'm going to come back next year and win it without any cloud hanging over my head" then we'd forgive the guy. He instead acted like an ass and like his failed test wasn't his own damn fault, and that once he served his 4 games the issue should just disappear because he did his time.

Basically, rather than man-up and accept responsibility he keeps trying to deflect responsibility for his own actions. On top of that he's acting like it's in the past and we should all just forget about it.

3) Bottomline- I can see why you guys hate him. Opposing fans only hate players that dominate AND are perceived as being arrogant, or worse, cheaters. That's why Merriman gets crap, but your punter does not receive the same treatment. And, yes, that's why I hate Barry Bonds (but honestly that's more just because he's a jerk to everyone- including his own teammates, which is even more of a cardinal sin to me).

So enjoy this rallying point for you to focus your energy on. I happen to disagree, but I get it. Everybody wants to knock the (perceived) cheater on his arse. Maybe we'll just do the same to your punter.

Either way, it should be an exciting game and we have our work cut out for us.

Go Bolts!

Nah, you don't need to be good for us to hate you. It just makes you more visible. And once more, comparing your cheat that the fans love to our cheat who we hate and the team only signed out of desperation is disingenuous.

Oh, and he's a loudmouth. We don't really like those, hence my previous Joey Porter comment. Especially due to the Patriots setting such a contrasting example.

the difference with merriman is that he talks big, and then he IS the best. he backs up everything he says.

That is because he CHEATS.
using steroids is cheating. I don't know why it's so hard for you to understand.
He better win it all this year, because people look pretty pathetic when they cheat and have a huge advatage over the rest of the field and still can't pull it off.

He is also a moron.
Only a complete fool would take Brady's comments as disrespect and fire back about the shirt.
Only a scumbag with no class would take his comments as respectful, but then lash out anyways.

So take your pick, he is either a Scumbag or Moron....
My vote is for both.

I would be nervous with that coach too..........

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes