PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

[Merged] Pats Work Out Then Sign Brian Waters G

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Schefter: Pats sign Brian Waters

I do not know much about this player, but unless this was a salary cap move, it means that another team thought he was not good enough to be on a team that is likely weaker than the Pats. This applies to any of the players cut by other teams.

Good move, also a veteran leader. Will add value in the clubhouse and on the field.

Can we please blacklist PFF links?

It's just a simple raw data list of the pressures each o-lineman gave up during the past 3 years, and not another one featuring PFF's "formulas."

The Pats going for a Pink Floyd reunion? They now have a Waters, Barrett and Wright on the roster. They just need to sign a Gilmour and Mason.

That's so funny but I could probably guess your age....

I wonder who gets the IR/cut for him. People here are throwing around Wendell or Maneri, but I think it'll be Butler.

great move:singing:

now for the ex-Cowboy:cool:

I do not know much about this player, but unless this was a salary cap move, it means that another team thought he was not good enough to be on a team that is likely weaker than the Pats. This applies to any of the players cut by other teams.

Pioli and the chiefs prob wanted to get younger on the OL.

I wonder who gets the IR/cut for him. People here are throwing around Wendell or Maneri, but I think it'll be Butler.

Butler will be gone:)

Waters has been on the downside for 3 years now. This wasn't a good signing at all

Well, since you hate the signing, clearly it was a good one..

Obviously ..a glaring need that is filled with a veteran with something more in the tank... great move ..but who ..goes ???

Can we please blacklist PFF links?

In his defense PFF evaluations are not always poor and meaningless and they do hold some water .

Last edited:
I hate people trying to pass off bleacherreport crap as actual sports journalism - but the PFF link seems reasonable/

Its counting how many pressures can be attributed to a certain offensive lineman over the course of 3 seasons.

This is the type of information I was looking for.

FWIW Koppen didn't score too well.

Last edited:

Waters has been on the downside for 3 years now. This wasn't a good signing at all

Well, an interior OL was clearly a necessity. So which players would have been better signings?

repeating the question asked above, who is getting cut now ??

I like the move. Waters clearly is not the Pro Bowl guard he once was, but he still be be most than a serviceable starter. Scarnnechia is a genius at getting production out of marginal talent (Keyatta Jones, Tom Ashworth, Greg Randall, etc.). Waters has more talent than those guys and Scar might squeeze one more good year out of him.

you can be a better team with one area of weakness grabbing talent from a position of strength for a weaker team. You seem to have a pretty narrow view a roster and talent.

repeating the question asked above, who is getting cut now ??

I think Butler or a DL might be an area to look at. Maybe Tarpinian as some have suggested we were trying to avoid waivers before IRing him.

Don't forget we only have two TEs so this might not be the last cut either.

I don't think statements that KC had a bad line are totally accurate. If you have an excellent run game, and a guy like Cassel takes less than 30 sacks, you're doing something right. Remember, Cassel got sacked a league leading 47 times when he started for us. He's one of those guys like Roetlisberger and Vick who's game translates to a lot of sacks.

NFL.com - Offensive Line Stats

That shows that KC, who had the arguably the best running game in the league, had most of their luck on the left side and up the middle, which speaks well of Waters.

Brian Waters stats - STATS Hosted Solution

That link tracks Waters sacks allowed (.75, excellent) and penalties (2 for 15 yards, also excellent) from last year. Statistically, it's easy to see why he went to the Pro Bowl. Reports seem to suggest he's still an excellent pass blocker, but he's fallen off a little as a run blocker. Considering the type of team we are, that's okay with me. If his poor run blocking limits our run game to only being as good as KC's, I can live with that too. ;)

As for getting cut by KC... obviously, it doesn't bode well. But he's vocally wanted out for a long time, and they really wanted to get his replacement on the field (Jon Asamoah, drafted 68th overall in 2010). In the end, I think he was the best option out there for our situation. If he proves an upgrade from Connolly, then that's amazing. If not, he's a fine place holder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft