PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Media Predictions: AFCCG, Ravens at Pats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rex Ryan of course picked the Ravens. He said the Patriots have nobody that can block Suggs. Did you hear that offensive line?

chris berman picked the ravens on sportscenter

Marcellus Wiley on Sportscenter just now picked the Ravens to win and a "Harbaugh Superbowl."

Yeah, I am shocked more people are not picking the 49ers too. I hope they win because I am tired of the Giants and hearing about 07. They served their purpose to beat the Packers and that is it...lol

I think people are not paying attention to the Giants having to travel across the country. That historically has had a big impact on NFL games.

I think people are not paying attention to the Giants having to travel across the country. That historically has had a big impact on NFL games.

The forecast is for rain and wind on a field that looks like a cow pasture on a good day. It should be more of a mudder than a sprint. While that doesn't eliminate the passing game, it does mute it a little. It does accentuate the running game, tackling and special teams...and these are 3 areas where SF should have a considerable advantage over the Giants.

I see a close game with SF holding on for the win...but I'm hesitant to bet against Goober Jr. and his ability fling deep passes without looking and have them somehow stick to his receivers.

Of all the media commentators, I thought that the research and commentary of Solomon Wilcots on NFLN was the most penetrating and apropos.

It was also my pregame observation why I thought the Pats had a great chance to upset the Greatest Show on Turf, back in 2001.

Wilcots merely computed the defensive statistics for the last half season, actually 9 games including the last Playoff game.

It revealed that the defensive stats of those 9 games, a reasonable sample, projected over a full season, would have placed the Pats as the 4th rated in Points Allowed in the league. The turnover statistics and sacks would have actually LED the league in both cases; and the Pats Defense would have been 1st in turnovers, and 1st in sacks. He would have noted that the run Defense declined marginally, but did not mention it as it was marginal and insignificant,and probably due to pass defense emphasis, and injuries to the ILBs.

Wilcots deduced from this that the Pats Defense has changed and grew from a 4-3, to now a 3-4 and a 4-3/3-4 mixed Defense. Further he noted during the last 9 games, the Pats played many games without its best defenders who were lost to injuries. Virtually all of whom have returned, worked off rust, and are healthy now.

We pats fans know that Bill Belichick teams gain strength over the season and frequently get better and more comfortable as the practices and corrections add up. We Pats followers know that; but it's nice to finally have a media commentator to note and confirm that fact. :snob::snob::rolleyes:

Last edited:
I can take experts who make predictions based on good analysis regardless who they pick.

Nick Underhill from masslive.com (Pats beat writer from Springfield's newspaper/website) goes with the Pats 27, Ravens 24

What to watch for: Patriots vs. Ravens | masslive.com

The feeling earlier in the week was that the Patriots would win the game. Nothing has changed since then. The New England defense still has issues, but it’s starting to play better and last week’s tune up against the Denver Broncos’ multifaceted rushing attack should have prepared them for whatever Rice is going to throw at them. It’s not going to be easy, and it will likely go back and forth, but in the end Tom Brady will be too much for the Ravens’ defense.

Herm Edwards, Freddy Coleman, Jonathan Koch (sp?) of ESPN radio all have the Pats.

Last edited:
Wilcots mentioned elsewhere that the Pats Offense in the last 9 games in the second half of the season and the first Playoff game has expanded to an average of 37.5 ppg. With the 18.7 average ppg yielded by the Pats Defense, that gives a differential of 18.8 ppg!

I think that makes a good score for the game fro my prediction: Pats 37 and Ravens 18. I think the Ravens march to a score in the last few minutes, in so called garbage time, to make the score at 37-18 more respectable.

marshall faulk,warren sapp,rod woodson,brian billick ,jason lacanfora pick ravens

willie,deion,mariucci pick pats..

I don't know why I'm even watching this stuff. It just pisses me off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News