PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

McCourty Sophomore Struggles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know if it's been posted already, but the reason for McCourty's struggles is obvious.

Devin and Jason switched in the off-season. Our Devin from last season is down in Tennessee, while Jason wears #32 for the Patriots.

Why?

Because twins find that kind of stunt hilarious.

;)

Last edited:
Hey ..don't you know...stats are for losers. ... :)

even the best cornerbacks cant stop a ball....to a taller wide receiver when its in an optimal spot for the receiver...not matter how close he is.....
thats why pressure is so important..on a QB..making him release to early and disrupting his ....mechanics...

You have to give kudos when they are earned....

That's why Dez Braynt was killing Revis and that other tool bag

I don't know if it's been posted already, but the reason for McCourty's struggles is obvious.

Devin and Jason switched in the off season. Our Devin from last season is down in Tennessee, while Jason wears #32 for the Patriots.

Why?

Because twins find that kind of stunt hilarious.

;)

Is Jason actually having a nice year? haven't really paid attention to the Titans.

Should we take into account that DMc assignments these two weeks were too difficult for him? Marshall and Jackson in back to back weeks is a tough task for any cornerback

By week 5 he'll be back to catchin' INTs and deflecting passes.

Should we take into account that DMc assignments these two weeks were too difficult for him? Marshall and Jackson in back to back weeks is a tough task for any cornerback

Sure, but nobody here is ready to admit that he's--wait for it--NOT yet as good as Revis!

He did not have a bad game. Wouldn't call it a good one. Jackson looked like Jerry Rice tonight. He had him covered pretty good on some of those plays. He isn't struggling. Nobody could have prevented Vincent Jackson from making those catches.

McCourty wasn't nearly as bad as people are making it. He had great coverage on some of catches he gave up, but rivers made good throws and the receivers made great plays.

I still blame the pressure for a lot of the problems with the secondary. On that TD pass that McCourty gave up in the back of the endzone was clearly the lack of a pass rush fault because there is only so long you can cover guy in the endzone.

theres really no way of sugar coating it McCourty has sucked the first two games of the season but so has the rest of the pats pass defense, the LB's cant cover and they have the worst Safety's in the NFL and all of the corners can't hang with the NFL's top WR's but Bottom line is they are 2-0 not 0-2 and as long as Tom Brady gets time to throw the ball no one is going to stop him

He's getting smoked like a pack of cigarettes. It's not exactly being hidden, because he's a corner and the opposing teams are making it obvious that he's struggling by successfully targeting him so often. Hopefully he'll turn it around by next week.

Talk about a tale of two cities. Normally when there are polar opposite opinions on a subject, the middle ground is safe. Not the case here though. If this were Ellis Hobbs who played like this through two games and was being targeted like McCourty is being targeted, most would be trying to run him out of town.

Of course, that being said, he's a second year player so patience is obviously due.

Last edited:
Look at McCourty's matchups so far. He's definitely played below expectations, but it's not time to push the panic button or anything, imo. Eventually, purely as a matter of size, I think Dowling will end up covering the Marshalls and Jacksons of the NFL anyways. Probably not this season, but hopefully in the future.

Man, things may be dire. We already have our shut down cornerback, the second coming of Revis, playing second fiddle to an unproven rookie.

Ahh, the latest patsfans punching bag. The guy is covering 2 semi all-world WR's with zero help from our incredibly bad safeties in weeks 1 & 2. Also, every OC on planet earth has been studying film on this guy for the last 6 months. He's light years better than Bustler and will be just fine before season end. Please don't drink the haterade.

Do we know who many of these all world receivers are populating the NFL? Seems to me, there are probably many teams with a good big tough receiver.

Do we know who many of these all world receivers are populating the NFL? Seems to me, there are probably many teams with a good big tough receiver.

Jackson and the woman beater are two of the best 5 wr in the nfl.

Pretty heady play on Wilfork's int, though. He saw that the Chargers player was going to try to strip Wilfork, and took the block in the back penalty to prevent a fumble.

We need to stop making things up. McCourty will be fine w/o embellishment. As previously posted, we don't know what he was thinking when he tackled that guy, but if he was thinking, "let me tackle this guy before he strips the ball," then it was faulty logic. Why would you tackle a guy & almost assuredly cost your team 3 points instead of taking the chance that Wilfork doesn't fumble and you are almost guaranteed 3 points - and what's the worst that could happen? Chargers recover the fumble? Why not tail him & look to recover a possible fumble?

The experience gained covering elite receivers in these past two games is only going to make McCourty better, IMHO.

Then this should actually serve him well in the near future. Nothing like trial by fire....

Talk about a tale of two cities. Normally when there are polar opposite opinions on a subject, the middle ground is safe. Not the case here though. If this were Ellis Hobbs who played like this through two games and was being targeted like McCourty is being targeted, most would be trying to run him out of town.

Of course, that being said, he's a second year player so patience is obviously due.

I expect that he'll start playing better. I think most of his problems have been related to his brain, not his body, so I think they're easy fixes if he's willing to make them.

I expect that he'll start playing better. I think most of his problems have been related to his brain, not his body, so I think they're easy fixes if he's willing to make them.
We're in agreement. I happen to believe it's mental more than anything else given the difference between McCourty doing his job on one snap and not doing it on another.

I have faith that he'll be fine but it's stupid not to draw attention to his poor form to begin the season.

We're in agreement. I happen to believe it's mental more than anything else given the difference between McCourty doing his job on one snap and not doing it on another.

I have faith that he'll be fine but it's stupid not to draw attention to his poor form to begin the season.

I really don't get you guys mentality. Marshall and jackson make 98% of dbs in the league look bad...it was foolish for patriot fans to think DMc was in the 2%.

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back