PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mayo's Coaching Staff [Discuss Coaching Candidates Here!]

It's time for the Patriots to get back to....well.. being the Patriots. Instead of copying what others are doing we need to reset the standard thet we've held for so long wich others copied us on.

That's having quality coaches, players and brain trust. The winning cured alot of ills and the loosing exposed things.

If we can get back to winning and putting quality play back on the field then we could be back into a contender.
Did you use ChatGPT to write this?

Lol, just busting your balls man.

Did you use ChatGPT to write this?

Lol, just busting your balls man.
LOL it's all good man.. I love to laugh and joke as well.. laughter is good for the soul.

If RK does not appoint a GM, he is saying that he will be the shadow GM. At any business, if there is not a president or CEO appointed, the employees have to go back to the owner for the major decisions. That is not being vague, it is how any private business in America works. If the ownership of the Patriots, Robert or Jonathan, do not appoint a GM then the personnel director or director of scouting will have to get final approval from RK or JK before any major signings or draft picks. That means the Kraft ownership is by default the shadow GM. It is how every private business in America works.
This seems right.

The issue becomes just how much of the decision-making they allow Wolfe and Groh to make. When Belichick was coach, the Kraft's did indeed step in and veto some of Bill's decisions. Obviously, there will be more now, but not necessarily a great number. IMO, there will be additional hires and better definition of roles, but not necessarily the hiring of a GM who will be in charge.

This seems right.

The issue becomes just how much of the decision-making they allow Wolfe and Groh to make. When Belichick was coach, the Kraft's did indeed step in and veto some of Bill's decisions. Obviously, there will be more now, but not necessarily a great number. IMO, there will be additional hires and better definition of roles, but not necessarily the hiring of a GM who will be in charge.
Care to tell us your source for this as it relates to the draft or free agency?

I do believe they stepped in on Bill wanting to keep Patricia as OC and insisted on hiring a real OC, but it was Bill's decision who to hire.

This team is so painfully ****ed for the future and the same people who are saying "lets just let it play out" also said that with Cam Newton at quarterback, Patricia as coordinator, the list goes on.....

This team is so painfully ****ed for the future and the same people who are saying "lets just let it play out" also said that with Cam Newton at quarterback, Patricia as coordinator, the list goes on.....
I didn't say any of those things and I want to see how it plays out.

Yea, I didn't either and want to let it play out.

I do believe they stepped in on Bill wanting to keep Patricia as OC and insisted on hiring a real OC, but it was Bill's decision who to hire.
You misunderstand. Even on OC, Bill needed to submit a list.

If you need a list of interference by the Kraft's, I would think that Andy might be the best source. For me, this is normal business, and I would be shocked if very many owners never stepped in. In the business world, there is a word for that sort of a CEO and President: "incompetence". "Negligence" is also a relevant word.

And no, I do not think that Kraft interfered much. I have been on record that he should have stepped in earlier, both when Bill allowed Patricia's mistakes as an OL COACH. Patricia had a plan. He tried it in camp. It didn't work. He continued and continued.

This past year, I thought that Kraft might have stepped in after all the injuries at OT, and might have made sure that Bill had a plan for playing NFL quality players at OT. I do NOT think that the issue of choosing Reiff and Anderson was negligent. IMO, it was negligent to not deal with the situation after it was clear that there was a serious injury issue (especially when other linemen were also injured). I don't know who could have been traded for and how much we would have had to "overpay". I suspect that the situation was so bad that Bill just decided to not use the cap money.

You misunderstand. Even on OC, Bill needed to submit a list.
Yes, he submitted a list, but it was his choice who to select. He selected BoB.

If you need a list of interference by the Kraft's, I would think that Andy might be the best source.
Yea, no. Lol

For me, this is normal business, and I would be shocked if very many owners never stepped in. In the business world, there is a word for that sort of a CEO and President: "incompetence". "Negligence" is also a relevant word.
Not sure what you mean by this. The owner cuts the checks, so as a matter of normal business practice, he needs to know who he's paying. Aside from that, it's my understanding Bill had free reign and actually kept the Krafts in the dark, while they were winning. Obviously, once his performance dropped, it was their duty to step in and ask tough questions. I can't blame them for that.

And no, I do not think that Kraft interfered much. I have been on record that he should have stepped in earlier, both when Bill allowed Patricia's mistakes as an OL COACH. Patricia had a plan. He tried it in camp. It didn't work. He continued and continued.
Agree.

This past year, I thought that Kraft might have stepped in after all the injuries at OT, and might have made sure that Bill had a plan for playing NFL quality players at OT. I do NOT think that the issue of choosing Reiff and Anderson was negligent. IMO, it was negligent to not deal with the situation after it was clear that there was a serious injury issue (especially when other linemen were also injured). I don't know who could have been traded for and how much we would have had to "overpay". I suspect that the situation was so bad that Bill just decided to not use the cap money.
I mean, this is a clear example of how Kraft didn't interfere.

Read a article claiming a source is saying Obrein was told he could find employment elsewhere.

Anyone else see this?

I'm so sick of the "Kraft stepped on Bill's toes with personnel decisions" flak.

Uh, if you're the owner paying 1/4 billion dollars a year to run this business, and the CEO of the business has had a growing deficit each of the last 4 years... is it not appropriate to add some input and put some protections in place related to his decisions??

Yes - BB's player and staff decisions clearly have been hurting the team. So, if the BOSS says, hey, every basement dwelling fantasy playing Patriot fan knows Cam isn't the answer at QB, Harry & TT aren't good 1st & 2nd round picks, Patricia is a terrible choice for OC, we don't need a PK in the 4th round when we have Folk, etc, etc...

I believe alot of the material is from wickersham.. he was on 98.5 the other day.. pretty much backing up his reports in his material.

In life when someone has been empowered and trusted with so much as Bill had been and for the better part of 19 seasons as he of course deserved with all his accomplishments.

However with the drafting, the questionable FA signings ownership likely felt they had to step in. Kraft was on record saying Bill was the biggest ass hole in his life lol. Bills staff eroded and replacements weren't sufficient enough or had enough pedigree like crennel, Weis for example. Your only as good as the people around you. Bill did try to do something with the WR corps in 2019 with AB wich if AB kept it together we definitely win another SB.

However it's all past tense now.. Bill will never ever be replicated for what he's done. However could Jerod be mike Tomlin? I think it's reasonable to ask.

Thanks. Interesting but not surprised. I agree that BoB is a Bill guy, and between that and the horrible performance of the offense, I'm perfectly fine with moving on from him.

Which makes it even more interesting that they offered the Belichick boys to stay. Talk about being Bill guys. Lol

Good opportunity to bring fresh outside ideas for the offense unless this means McD is being brought back. Not too happy if that's the case but we'll see.

Thanks. Interesting but not surprised. I agree that BoB is a Bill guy, and between that and the horrible performance of the offense, I'm perfectly fine with moving on from him.

Which makes it even more interesting that they offered the Belichick boys to stay. Talk about being Bill guys. Lol

Good opportunity to bring fresh outside ideas for the offense unless this means McD is being brought back. Not too happy if that's the case but we'll see.
Keep the defense and defensive coaches. That worked great. Great system. Great coaching. Look at the performance of the 5th and 6th string DB’s in the final weeks. Bring back the Belichick boys.

Completely retool the offense. New OC. New WR and OL coaches. New QB coach. New system.

Keep the defense and defensive coaches. That worked great. Great system. Great coaching. Look at the performance of the 5th and 6th string DB’s in the final weeks. Bring back the Belichick boys.

Completely retool the offense. New OC. New WR and OL coaches. New QB coach. New system.
Absolutely agree. Only thing is will the BELICHICK boys want to remain? Yes, Absolutely everything on offense needs retooling starting with the QB. It felt like each week we had the watch the replacements on offense.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
Back