PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Matthew Stafford signs extension with Detroit Lions

patsinthesnow

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Matthew Stafford signs Detroit Lions extension - NFL.com

NFL.com's Albert Breer, per two sources involved in the negotiations, reported Tuesday that the total value of the three-year extension for Stafford will be $53 million, putting his five-year haul at $76.5 million. Stafford will receive $41.5 million guaranteed and, according to ProFootballTalk.com, a $27.5 million signing bonus.

News from yesterday, what are your thoughts on Stafford? IMO, another average quarterback getting way overpaid. 15 million a year for this?

17-28 record
0-1 playoffs
59.8% Comp. pct.
82.8 quarterback rtg.
6.9 yards per pass attempt

Sure, he's only 25, but he regressed big time from his 2011 season.

BTW, highest paid QBs in the league:

1. Joe Flacco
2. Aaron Rodgers
3. Drew Brees
4. Peyton Manning
5. Tony Romo
6. Eli Manning
7. Philip Rivers
8. Matthew Stafford
9. Matt Schaub
10. Sam Bradford
11. Ben Roethlisberger
12. Tom Brady

News from yesterday, what are your thoughts on Stafford? IMO, another average quarterback getting way overpaid. 15 million a year for this?

17-28 record
0-1 playoffs
59.8% Comp. pct.
82.8 quarterback rtg.

What a joke! Some of the worst QB play I've ever seen last season, an incredible choke artist. He's soft in the brain.

I know the guy had a bad season last year and threw waaay too few TD's but.

The guy took the fricken Lions to the playoffs. The LIONS.

The guy's already a legend in my eyes. :cool:

I think Stafford is very overrated. He's not a scrub, but he's not as good as he is thought to be. I want to say that he's only good because he has Megatron on his team, but then that thought is tempered by what went on in AZ with Larry Fitzgerald and the Card's awful QB play. I'll say that at least Stafford is good enough to take advantage of the beastly receiver he has.

Brady took a pay cut.
Then, they let his favorite and most prolific receiver of 5 years go even though it cost just as much to keep him as it would to pay a risky injury-history receiver.

Feel bad for Brady to take a pay cut to help the team, then not have his top5 receivers from last year

Brady took a pay cut.
Then, they let his favorite and most prolific receiver of 5 years go even though it cost just as much to keep him as it would to pay a risky injury-history receiver.

Feel bad for Brady to take a pay cut to help the team, then not have his top5 receivers from last year

Well, since we're sneaking slightly off topic...

1. I don't agree that just because Brady signed the extension we're obligated to have a same/better offense than last year (ie the receivers, Welker, etc.)
2. I DO agree we are obligated to field a better overall team. And I DO think we are falling short significantly in that regard so far...

So I do feel bad for Brady...

I think Stafford is very overrated. He's not a scrub, but he's not as good as he is thought to be. I want to say that he's only good because he has Megatron on his team, but then that thought is tempered by what went on in AZ with Larry Fitzgerald and the Card's awful QB play. I'll say that at least Stafford is good enough to take advantage of the beastly receiver he has.

I mostly agree with you. Stafford is a less talented version of Brett Favre. He's going to just chuck it up all day long and make some unorthodoxed throws that will either look like genius or be a pick 6 that crushes his team. He's never going to be a consistent winner in this league.

I mostly agree with you. Stafford is a less talented version of Brett Favre. He's going to just chuck it up all day long and make some unorthodoxed throws that will either look like genius or be a pick 6 that crushes his team. He's never going to be a consistent winner in this league.

He's been that way since he was at Georgia. Aaron Murray will be the same way. That said, it will be interesting to see what a more consistent ground game does for Stafford and that offense as a whole. I thought what they did on offense in 2011 was remarkable given the fact that it was him, Calvin Johnson, and not much else to speak of on that side of the ball.

He's been that way since he was at Georgia. Aaron Murray will be the same way. That said, it will be interesting to see what a more consistent ground game does for Stafford and that offense as a whole. I thought what they did on offense in 2011 was remarkable given the fact that it was him, Calvin Johnson, and not much else to speak of on that side of the ball.

I watch a lot of Georgia games and agree but even if they put a really solid team around him I still picture him putting one in Levon Kirkland's gut to seel their fate......oooops sorry bad flashback. :bricks:

OT: Matthew Stafford signs extension

I know the guy had a bad season last year and threw waaay too few TD's but.

The guy took the fricken Lions to the playoffs. The LIONS.

The guy's already a legend in my eyes. :cool:

I'd be curious to see what he'd be like without Calvin Johnson.

The comment about to few touchdowns is very true especially when you consider he threw the ball 727 times last season.

17-28 record
0-1 playoffs
59.8% Comp. pct.
82.8 quarterback rtg.

BTW, highest paid QBs in the league:

1. Joe Flacco
2. Aaron Rodgers
3. Drew Brees
4. Peyton Manning
5. Tony Romo
6. Eli Manning
7. Philip Rivers
8. Matthew Stafford
9. Matt Schaub
10. Sam Bradford
11. Ben Roethlisberger
12. Tom Brady

Good post. Let me add another nugget of information to the stats you've presented: Matthew Stafford is 1-23 vs. winning teams.

This is partly an indictment of Detroit's shoddy pass defense, since good teams are usually capable of moving the ball through the air, and carve up the Lions that way on the regular.

But still... 1-23? The guy has arguably notched 1 impressive win in his career (in a regular season game, no less) and he's pulling $15 mil AAV. Yikes.

Eh, a lot of money for him but you have to do it and hope he stays healthy. Had his aunt as an English teacher in high school and heard he's kinda a douche so not exactly a big fan of his.

over 10000 yards passing in 2 seasons yes he went from 41 TD's in 2011 to 20 TD's in 2012 but he was 33 yards away from back to back 5000 yards seasons and Calvin Johnson is the only one on he's team with more then 567 yards rec, if you ant going to pay a 25 year old kid like that 15 million then who should get that kind of money ?

Not that it is entirely the qb's fault but 1-22 against +500 competition is the stat I believe I read.

1. Joe Flacco
2. Aaron Rodgers
3. Drew Brees
4. Peyton Manning
5. Tony Romo
6. Eli Manning
7. Philip Rivers
8. Matthew Stafford
9. Matt Schaub
10. Sam Bradford
11. Ben Roethlisberger
12. Tom Brady
I agree with the OP about Stafford.

This list shows how "lucky" the Colts got last year.

Anybody know what team with a winning record Matt Stafford beat?

It should be interesting to watch this story unfold on Punk'D.

Yes, Stafford is not great, but think people.

It is a passing league and if you do not have a moderately good QB, your team WILL go 2-14 and draft a QB in round #1. (Or worse, you 7-9 and get in the middle of the round.:) )

If they did not pay Stafford, who would they get? JaMarcus Russel USED to be available. I guess they could get Vince Young. (Or even Steve Young.:) ) Then use the high draft pick on a QB you hope is more Peyton Manning than Ryan Leaf.

Same goes for Romo, or any other OK (as in slightly above average) QB getting megabucks.

Anybody know what team with a winning record Matt Stafford beat?

Seattle in 2012, by a score of 28-24.

And to clarify, I don't mean vs. teams that had a winning record at the time. I mean teams that went on to finish with a winning record.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back