PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Matchup: Week #1: Jets (analysis welcome)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why are posters saying NE will blitz heavily(6+ pass rushers) and/or stack the box? Bltzing 6,7 or 8 guys is a recipe for big plays against your defense. It's a gamble. NE shouldn't have to gamble against NYJ because they usually can get pressure without doing so. Also, why does NE have to stack the box to stop the run vs. NYJ? If NE can stop the run easily(and they should) they can have more defenders in coverage to match up with NYJ pass catchers.
Agreed. Their front seven should be enough to limit the run to short gains and on the pass rush, the 3 DL plus one of Thomas, Vrabel, or Colvin is pretty decent pressure. Jones is no more dangerous a runner than any other this defense has stopped, with or without Seymour.

The key is to keep C, C, & W from getting behind the secondary. Make Penny work yard by yard and the Jets will lose a game of field position. Brady wields a far more dangerous offense. Hopefully, the danger is primarily to the Jets. :)

So if the OL can pick up the blitzes and Brady can make his reads, you should be okay. If not, you'll likely have a long day, lol.

You fellas have turned this into a mighty useful thread!
Box, you take a curtain call if you care to.

A very interesting matchup - with spirited participants all over. Great opener!

I don't expect it to be close.
Gangrene, above, hits on one of the reasons.
OF COURSE, Tom makes his reads. No question.
An inconsistent O-line ... looking for the blitz ... will catch them.

Otherwise ... the Jets have two good runners. But who will open holes for them?
The Patriot front seven stuffs the run, hands down.

As many have noted, the Jets have to hope that whatever their very good receivers can get for YACs
... outshines what the new Patriot offense brings to the game.
Those receivers will make us squirm.
But it's an uneven contest.
Pennington can expect to see unholy pressure due to the mismatch of their O-line against the Pats' front seven.

I even expect the Patriot approach to be almost as vanilla as in pre-season games.BB certainly won't look past the Jets.
But the next game counts more than this one does - div rival or not.

If I remember correctly from the SD playoff game. SD put a TE on the left side to help attack Seymour (not playing at full strength in that game) and TBC. Does anyone see the Jets trying this to help shore up their OL left side and attack Green in the running game?

I am not saying that it would work, but I wondered if it was something the Jets might try if they had any decent blocking TEs. The Jets are not SD and Green may not be Seymour, but he is still pretty good.

If I remember correctly from the SD playoff game. SD put a TE on the left side to help attack Seymour (not playing at full strength in that game) and TBC. Does anyone see the Jets trying this to help shore up their OL left side and attack Green in the running game?

I am not saying that it would work, but I wondered if it was something the Jets might try if they had any decent blocking TEs. The Jets are not SD and Green may not be Seymour, but he is still pretty good.
The trouble with focusing on Green is it takes away from the linebackers and Wilfork. The Jets will be more likely to try trickery to break a runner free, but Fergy at LT is still in need of work in his run game so he'll get some help when they can spare it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call