PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Maroney pick forces Indy to reach for Addai

Status
Not open for further replies.

rainmaker

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
Maybe I'm into Jedi-mind tricks, but I like to think that BB intentionally went RB and picked Maroney, knowing that Deangelo Williams would go soon after. After these two RBs were gone, the RB class for the versatile type of RB Indy wanted went razor thin and they had to reach for Addai, a consensus 2nd or 3rd rounder. It was also interesting that Maroney compared himself to Edge.

I think that is more of an ancillary effect of us taking Maroney than a determing factor. He had great value where we took him - for us first and foremost.

Ahriman said:
I think that is more of an ancillary effect of us taking Maroney than a determing factor. He had great value where we took him - for us first and foremost.

Agree. But it made for a nice fringe benefit.

BB has too many things to worry about than drafting players to mess up the Colts. Quite frankly he doesn't need to anyway; the Colts don't give him that much trouble. By the way there are 30 other teams the Pats have to play but whatever.

I would love to think the same, but that's wrong.

Addai fits their system very well, and all along many people thought they would take him.

Can't say I'm disappointed by OUR pick though.

Maroney is thought to fit equally well in their offense - he and many other compare his running style to Edge's. Though I believe we selected Maroney because we wanted him, this was a nice benefit from the selection. I was hoping the Jaguars would select Addai and completely screw the Colts, but that was probably wishful thinking on my part.

The Chad Jackson move was also sneaking, going right in front of Shanahan's nose and forcing him to trade for Walker, who may pull a T.O. and become a massive locker room cancer.

Purely accidental, but we did screw up the Colts day big time. First of all, Maroney was the best fit for the Colts offense, with his combination of size and breakaway speed, plus his experience with a zone blocking scheme. Secondly, they were forced to reach on a guy who should've been taken in the 45-60 range. They took Addai when the value may have been at linebacker, another position of glaring need for the Colts.

DrPatriot, I think the Jackson pick may have happened for the opposite reason--that the Patriots weren't going to be able to get Walker.

That's right

rainmaker said:
[The Colts] had to reach for Addai, a consensus 2nd or 3rd rounder. It was also interesting that Maroney compared himself to Edge.
Absolutely. He's a good player, a good fit, but they went for "need" rather than "talent."

Remember, he never even put up the numbers that Kevin Faulk did at LSU.

I think when the Pats picked Maroney, the Colts groaned. They knew their hopes of getting either him or DeAngelo Williams was gone.

So it's icing on the cake: We got the best player available at the pick at a need position while cutting down one of our main competitors. Call it "win-win-win."

drew4008 said:
I would love to think the same, but that's wrong.

Addai fits their system very well, and all along many people thought they would take him.

Can't say I'm disappointed by OUR pick though.

Bingo. Addai was listed 32 in Gosselin's Top 100. Picking him at 30,then, is not a reach.

Addai reminds me of Kevin Faulk with a little more speed. Not a premier every down back.

Maybe - but I saw a lot of mock drafts with Indy being left with Addai anyway

But I know what you are saying - I think the Pats were taking a chance that they could trade back up to grab Jackson at WR who was clearly a big priority for them given all the time they spent with him

Conversely they knew that another RB would be off the board after Indy's pick - so even if they had Jackson ranked higher it was a good strategic move to grab your RB first

rainmaker said:
Maybe I'm into Jedi-mind tricks, but I like to think that BB intentionally went RB and picked Maroney, knowing that Deangelo Williams would go soon after. After these two RBs were gone, the RB class for the versatile type of RB Indy wanted went razor thin and they had to reach for Addai, a consensus 2nd or 3rd rounder. It was also interesting that Maroney compared himself to Edge.

Where was it listed that he was a consensus 2nd or 3rd rounder? BTW, pick 30 is only 2 picks away from the 2nd round. I would have been happy with either of those backs. I think Addai will fit in very well, he has more experience in the passing game than Maroney and will be able to contribute in that area earlier. I don't think that it screwed the Colts as much as many here would like it to have.

workhorse said:
Where was it listed that he was a consensus 2nd or 3rd rounder? BTW, pick 30 is only 2 picks away from the 2nd round. I would have been happy with either of those backs. I think Addai will fit in very well, he has more experience in the passing game than Maroney and will be able to contribute in that area earlier. I don't think that it screwed the Colts as much as many here would like it to have.

The Colts will be ok, worse than last year offensively, but don't pretend losing out on both Maroney and Dangelo didn't hurt. Maroney would have been the perfect Colt. Either way, Indy's ship has sailed.

Wherever he went, they used their #1 pick for a downgraded RB and I'm good with that.

BelichickFan said:
Wherever he went, they used their #1 pick for a downgraded RB and I'm good with that.

I find it telling that Maroney describes himself as a Edgerrin James type runner (I emphasize type - obviously he doesn't have the resume)

Another reason why BB was wise not to take the chance of him lasting past the Colts

I'm sure in addition to their boards they have a feel for how other teams rank players in the draft... it was likely that they didn't see other teams with a high WR need between 21 & 36 but saw more competition for RB

Dan Wetzel of yahoo agrees.

It seems Dan Wetzel may agree with my conspiracy theory! I know a yahoo reporter isn't the best source...

"Indianapolis Colts
Needing to replace Edgerrin James, the Colts got Joseph Addai, so they filled a critical need. But they also may have influenced two other teams' selections. The Texans admit they passed on Reggie Bush and Vince Young because they feared the Colts' offense. And New England may (it's all a rumor, of course) have taken running back Laurence Maroney because the Pats knew the Colts coveted him. It never hurts when you are being obsessed about."

re

I mentioned the same thing a while ago in the Shanahan thread, but I'm glad you brought this up and quoted the Yahoo article. It makes me feel like I'm not the only conspiracy theorist here :)

About drafting Maroney...I don't think Belichick thought about it at the time - he was probably going for best value and fit for the Patriots.

However, I LOVE that Polian's plan backfired on him. He resigned all of his receivers and quarterback to huge contracts, and let the engine of his offense sign with Arizona. He was probably eyeing Maroney or Williams to replace Edge. Instead, he's stuck with a slightly better version of Kevin Faulk.

I'll say this: the Colts' golden years have already peaked. Their past two years were their best chance at a championship. From here on out, it will be a slow decline for the rest of Manning's career.

rainmaker said:
"Indianapolis Colts
Needing to replace Edgerrin James, the Colts got Joseph Addai, so they filled a critical need. But they also may have influenced two other teams' selections. The Texans admit they passed on Reggie Bush and Vince Young because they feared the Colts' offense. And New England may (it's all a rumor, of course) have taken running back Laurence Maroney because the Pats knew the Colts coveted him. It never hurts when you are being obsessed about."
Last I checked the Colts obsess about us, not the other way around. I don't think the Patriots are getting rules changed to help against the Colts the way the Colts are to help against us.

several mocks had us taking Maroney from the beginning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back